1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchCity.net Game Thread: Clippers @ Rockets 12/14/2002

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 14, 2002.

1. GreatProgrammer

Well, we can see that, the Rox is play REALLY REALLY deep. All starts got double digits. But what does it mean to us?

It just seems like when we keep passing but without shooting. A lot of TO will come and we just lose the game. gotta figure out this.

A sad weekend. :( :( :(

2. dn1282

dn1282 Member

Seems like we only get motivated for the big games, and we take the teams that are supposed to be bad for granted just because we've beaten the better teams in the leauge and get out butts handed to us on a platter. This sucks, we need to take every game like it's going to decide whether we make the playoffs or not. That way we can at least say we gave 110% effort on the floor.

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Just to clarify, three point field goals are included in the field goal stat, so Francis shot 5-18, and Mobley shot 8-17 including three pointers

4. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Yao is being played out at the free throw line while Rice posts. I don't think Yao made double digit rebounds this game.

5. JING

JING Contributing Member

Bay area got hit with storm and blackout so I couldn't follow the game. What happened? Just from looking at the stats I can see Brand and Miller killed us, Ming did a good job on Kandi and steve had a tough shooting night. So Miller out played steve, is that why we lost?

6. clippy

clippy Member

Hi again, Rockets fans,

Good game tonight. I know a lot of fans are embarrassed about losing to the Clippers, but you should know that this Clipper squad is very talented, and will almost certainly be in the playoff race come April. Aside from many late-game chokes, they've had a bunch of injuries and an extremely difficult schedule to explain their horrible start. Hopefully Sterling will resign some of these guys and we can have a rivalry of our young squads for years to come.

I was extremely impressed with Yao. As an outside observer, I think he'll definitely be a top-5 player within a year or two. The guy has incredible footwork and an unblockable shot, as well as great passing instincts.

I thought that Rice played a great game (the Clippers couldn't guard him) and think you could benefit by featuring him in your offense more predominantly (I'm just judging by the numbers that he doesn't get a lot of looks in general). Since he's big enough to post up almost any guard in the league, and has a sweet sweet stroke, he should be able to be a goto guy all game long. Of course, I'm a bit biased because I've always been a fan of his game and attitude.

Good luck .. 'til our teams meet again!

7. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Our defense is letting them right to the basket. :mad:

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

We didn't defend or rebound at all tonight. Tonight was very similar to the way we played defense last season.

9. grace1

grace1 Member

what a weekend! hard to be a rox fan.
    :confused:

10. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

For sure. I was cussing he TV at all those bricks. A three will never be as high a percentage shot as a 2. And you rarely get the offensive rebound, especially when you jack it up with nobody under the basket for you. :mad:

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I didn't think that we were going to win this game after yesterday's loss but I was expecting better effort on defense.
    We are looking very bad right now. Everyone has got to go back to the basics and start playing like a team.

12. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I'd have to object to the Yao part. Yao did great in this game. Great D on Kandiman, scored when given the chance (which he should have had more shots). They were feeding Rice in the post in the 4th quarter. I think Yao only scored once in the second half. They played him too far away from the basket to even get a decent rebound look. :mad:

13. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

That didn't stop Yao, now did it? :D If it was the same bug, I say throw Taylor out there! :p

14. superpro

superpro Member

Where is Yao's aggressiveness? If he could be a little more aggressive, Brand or Kandi should have already been fouled out.

Perhaps fatigue is the big problem he is having now.

Also, I've noticed Yao got weared down really easily on the road games. I think that might have something to do with the ability to adjust to the time difference for him too.

Anyway, I want to see an energetic Yao. He stayed on the right side of the court too much.h

15. Panda

Panda Member

The Rockets are repeating the same mental problem. They play up to the level of competition. They seem to be just content on proving that they can beat the elite teams, then resort back to their old selves.

It's clear we need a better pf, a better sf and better defense from Francis. Kenny is a good man to man defender, but he's undersized with a bad rep of being me first. Eddie isn't ready against elite pfs. MoT is in Rudy's doghouse. Tmo and Boki get little to no minutes behind grumpy Rice. Francis' no D is letting J.Will and Miller killing us.

The Rockets have positions to fill, efforts to be exerted, mentality to be fixed and offensive system to be frimly installed to be a legit contender! The only things that are positive for us are Mobley and Yao's steady contribution. The Rockets still have a long way to go!

16. kelsey_tam

kelsey_tam Member

Wow, just love your D and the highly accurate 3 point shooting, keep up the good work Rox!

17. m00154

m00154 Member

According to CBS scoreboard, this is the shooting of our key players in 4Q:

Steve - 0-2 (0-0 for 3pt) missed around the basket...
    Yao - 1-1
    Mobley - 1-6 (0-2 for 3pt)
    Rice - 1-5 (0-2 for 3 pt)
    Griffin - 2-5 (0-1 for 3pt)

That's 5-19, 26% and 0-5, 0% from downtown!!!!! :mad: :(

what happened??? Why didn't we get the offend flow thru the big guy and stop shooting 3s???
    I notice that we normally get the big guy involved in the first 3Qs, but often deserted him in the 4Q, can someone pls enlighten me on this?? :confused: :confused:
    Is this a new offensive technique that I've not heard of? If this strategy is indeed designed by our coaching staff, they must be genius. :rolleyes: C'mon Rudy, I know u r a smart coach, pls do something, and fast!!

18. lalala902102001

Steve's shot, Yao's aggressiveness, and Rudy's brain :rolleyes:

19. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Did Kandiman schooled Ming in tonight's game?

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The Rockets.

HEART OF A HAMSTER

My gawd, this is a frustratingly stupid team to watch. They make the same dumba$$ mistakes they made 3 years ago.

No defense, no committment to passing the ball around, and don't play with any killer instinct at all.

If this does not get SIGNIFICANTLY better by the end of the year, I will be ready for heads to roll.

I am already pissed off at Rudy for not forcing our team to pass the FRICKEN ball.

Steve Francis is the worst on the ball defender I have ever seen. I used to think that Matt Maloney was bad, but at least he was smart about playing defense.

Steve, here is a hint. Lay off your man, invite him to shoot the long range shot, then when he picks up his dribble close and attack him.

Don't try to get in his face and watch as he glides by you, and forces someone else to pick your man up and then watch as your man passes to a wide open guy under the basket, because our center had to cover for your sorry, no "D" playing A$$.

:mad:

DD