1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutch] TyTy & Garuba were casualties 4 Lopez chase

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 2, 2023.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

$24 million guy plays his options to jack up his contract, at the expense of a couple of $2 million guys. Tell me again about player solidarity.

2. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Rockets & Lopez (Rox are Pesci)
    [​IMG]

Jontro, Manny Ramirez and sirjesse like this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I mean we are talking about TyTy and Usman here. We aren't talking about one of our high potential rookies. I'm sure if it was one of those players, Stone would had backed out. I don't think TyTy and Usman are that big of a deal to honor a deal. Some of you all are overthinking this one. It's cool, fans over value their players, that's always been the reality.

topfive likes this.
  4. invocux

invocux Member

So Lopez inadvertently helped us get rid of 2 absolute f.ing bums? A legend.

Jontro likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding? Don't tell DD. We'll never hear the last of it.

Drift Monkey and RC Cola like this.
  6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Blame KJ for screaming in Brooks face and frightening him. He never got over it.

7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

More like our attorney is pretending to be a GM...

8. Nook

Nook Member

Yes this report is true.

Every once in awhile a player will back out of a verbal agreement or claim there never was one.

The issue I have is that we vastly over paid Brooks, and if we really wanted Lopez - we should have realized it was a long shot because the Bucks really need him and they are elite and we are not. I think it was inevitable that Lopez would end up back in Milwaukee or another contender.

As for Washington and Garuba and Martin - I don’t think losing any of them will destroy the Rockets rebuild - but it is just another example of Raffy Stone mismanaging assets. He has done a poor job of winning smaller deals. Realistically had they held onto Martin and Garuba and maybe Washington, they would have done a lot better dealing them later compared to dealing them yesterday.

Also, the fact the Rockets we’re going to sign Brooks at all cost was the worst kept secret in the league. We paid a premium of 4/80 for a player that is currently at his lowest value in some time. The Brooks signing was an ego signing for Stone, who likes him and has said he relates to him. He could be Stone’s damn son, but it doesn’t mean you overpay.

Having said that, Brooks and FVV will play a large role with the Rockets and help the younger players develop in a winning and positive culture.

Im not overly impressed by Stone, but he at least has the right general idea. I don’t expect advanced Ainge or Morey or Pritchard level thought or innovation, but Stone can be fine.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Why? Because you like them? Or do you just wasn't the Rox to look bad for dumping them? o_O

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Maybe Lopez just heard that Sengun had grown?

Drift Monkey and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Harden wanted to play here dear. As did FVV, Brooks. Hell even Eric Gordon thought about coming back.

Lopez simply made the right decision for his future.

12. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

didnt read

Let me guess, james harden who hasnt been here for 3 years is the reason nobody wants to play for this dogshit franchise

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I mean, from his perspective:
    • He knows he would have been joining a team that already has a younger, vastly superior player at his position, in fact the franchise player
    • So it would have been likely that, sooner or later, he would not be a starter anymore
    • He would leave a team that possibly still has a better shot in his remaining window (the next two years), thanks to Giannis, to try and compete for a championship
    • He would have to move his family, etc., and leave an environment he is familiar with, for a lot of uncertainty
    • He would be expected to play more of a mentor role, rather than being one of the guys who is featured, right behind the franchise player
    So if the money is even remotely similar, it totally makes sense for him to stay in Milwaukee, even if it ends up being a bit less money.

14. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Haha - never change boo. Keep doing you.

jerryclark and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

They would be third stringers if the rotation is healthy, sure, but there was literally no reason to give them away for free and especially not to give up assets to dump them unless we had a firm agreement from Lopez.

Mega scrubs is a bit much, they were on their first and second years and are likely to improve..

Drift Monkey likes this.
  16. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Actual footage of Lopez as rockets speak with Hawks:

upload_2023-7-2_16-17-29.gif

Drift Monkey, Nook and Jontro like this.
  17. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

bro you are gay lmfao

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

For someone who has given up their Rocket fandom, you seem to still be emotionally attached to them. I am confused op.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i never wanted lopez anyways. but interested to see who we get with the remaining cap space now… any ideas who it might be?

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

actual actual footage of management tryna pick up lopez

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut, Deckard and sirjesse like this.