1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutch Tweet] Rockets insider: change coming, need players with more upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Feb 16, 2011.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I think if you can get him in a deal with Mayo, you have to roll the dice. Thabeet looks like a bust thus far, but if he actually wants to get better, the sky is the limit. At the very least he could be a gem on the defensive side of the ball.

My only concerns are, does he want to learn and get better, does basketball matter to him? Some have said no.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

"more upside" is interesting phrasing. I certainly hope it does not mean, "more projects". One could argue Randolph and Thabeet have a lot of upside, but they are indeed, "projects". Agreed we do not need more projects on this team. However, if we are truly rebuilding, I don't mind trading our older, valuable players for younger players (who are already productive) with superstar potential.

3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

shut up ho.

actually I agree with you on this one

He certainly doesn't answer our prayers. I think stromile swift is a fair comparison.

you still haven't said what is REALLY going to happen yet! or what you want me to say is going to happen ;)

COME ON LETS PARTY

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

New Jersey wanted Scola. Morey wanted Derrick Favors. Throw in some other names/contracts.....

Maybe?

5. izeroi

izeroi Member

Same here, but who else are we going to go after? Free agents don't want to come here and so far it seems we can't make trades for any big names. Would be nice if we could, but it seems we're going in a different route. Could be wrong though..

6. worzel gummidge

They give up Troy Murphy's expiring contract provided they wanted Scola after Avery got there.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

"More upside" clearly sounds like we have given up on acquiring an established star.

8. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Can you link to the specific tweet? I'm reading on an iPhone, but I can't find it.

9. mrjuandiego1988

oh great more players with "upside" :confused:

10. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

I'm hoping for Danny Granger. The guy fits perfectly into a Rockets jersey.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

"More upside" sounds to me like Scola is going to be traded.

I have suspected for some time that he is the key piece we are going to use to upgrade. Sorry, I love the guy. But he is at his max right now. He won't get better. And he's a one-way player. Very good offensively. Terrible defensively. But he's got the most trade value. It's one or both of him and Scola going out in some sort of combination with our expirings and Budinger.

12. ABforPresident

AB and JJ for Deandre Jordan. Yeah Buddy!

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

this thread is the internet equivalent of 'shooting in the dark'

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. worzel gummidge

Rockets haven't seen Scola at his best with a good PnR PG. Feigen mentioned he's one of two players whose FG% increases as the game progresses. I don't know if he meant among the Rockets or the League.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

well, if the source would have only mentioned "players with upside", then my guess would be twill type trades....for picks or guys like budinger, lee, etc...however, for him to say "change is coming" it really sounds like they're emphasizing going in a different direction, as in trading some of the main guys. Have to wait and see...

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If the result is a big clear out to pave the way for rebuilding, that's fine with me. This era and the first attempt to rebuild on the fly has clearly floundered. I'm am 100% on board with drastic changes....but do hope that we hold onto Martin/Scola if possible.

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think there is much to be read into the word "upside". I agree it is best to trade Scola. Let Patterson or Hill start or maybe the acquired player. I would like to see us put a new group of players alongside Martin/Lowry/Patterson/Williams. I think Martin needs to be the third best player on a really good team. I still think a Detroit Piston like champion could be built and with the recent (and upcoming) consolidation of super stars that may be the best way to go. We have to trade Scola and whatever else for a solid two way player since we are out of the Melo sweepstakes.

20. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

If the Rockets are really considering making a move toward bringing in players with "more upside", then they should seriously consider actually playing some of them... you know, by not forcing them to wear street clothes.