1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutch Tweet] Rockets insider: change coming, need players with more upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Rockets_4_life

Thabeet and Mayo are the perfect Morey scenario, both are former high lottery picks who are currently cheap, and contain a lot "of upside"... ;)

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I feel you, and i share your frustration about aquiring assets with no end in sight as far as getting a difference-maker. But i also think it's just really hard to find a superstar if you are not drafting top 5, and we never really went through a rebuilding period. Teams just dont let franchise players go, unless they have to. We had the Francis era, then the T-mac Yao era, and now it is what it is, but we never had an opportunity to draft the superstar we need because we haven't been a bad team for a long time. Sure sometimes guys like Lebron, Bosh, and Melo become free agents, but it seems like their preference is to play in flashy markets like NYC, Miami, and LA, or to go to teams with other established superstars. We don't fit either situation. If you don't go through a bad year or two and get a couple bites of the elite draft apple, it takes a lot longer to rebuild into a contender. I have no idea if management will finally get serious about the rebuilding process, but we are going to have to dismantle this team to get the superstar we are looking for; especially because we are not picking top 5 in the draft anytime soon. Houston will have to find it's franchise player through trade.

In Morey we trust! Maybe this is the "change we can believe in".

#22 Aruba77, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  3. Shaud

Shaud Member

Anthony Randolph is the only player that people think has a lot of upside that is rumored to be on he block so that is the only person I can think of.

4. Rockzilla

Rockzilla Member

Forget about Randolph. There is already a deal in place to send him to Minny. Knicks just waiting on the whole Melo thing before pulling the trigger.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

I still can't figure out why Minnesota would give up a 1st round pick for him when the two positions you could put him at is filled with young guys that are producing on that team.

6. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Travis Outlaw of the Nets for Jared Jeffries expiring contract straight up. Outlaw gives us defense, scoring, height and athleticism (and three more years @ $7M per year), while Jeffries gives the Nets an expiring and relieves them of Outlaw's contract.

Hopefully, the other splash will be the acquisition of Thabeet and Mayo, a defensive center and an athletic point who can shoot lights out.

Thabeet / Miller
    Scola / Hill or Patterson
    Outlaw / Bud or Battier
    Martin / Lee or Mayo
    Mayo / Lowry

7. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

The crazy part is what direction is the team going? Are they going to go full throttle to making the playoffs - or do they give up on good players and try to develop quality young players?

Let's face it - Scola, Battier, Martin, Hayes, who are all key rotation guys - have hit their peak years or declining years in the NBA. Do we see them all moved before the trade deadline? In an effort to bring in guys with upside.

I'm sure there are teams out there who have playoffs in mind that would want either one of those 4 players...

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

One of these two, or both, should have an eye kept on. Don't have much going well for them but Mayo has shown he could be a quality starter given the minutes. The suspension sure didn't help his cause either.

Good thinking Rox4life.

9. rocketsmetalspd

Need players that will make immediate impact. Thabeet/Mayo/Randolf too young. Need veterans if plans are to make the playoffs. Nene would be ideal the guy is shooting 60%. It all depends are Melo and if he gets traded.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Pass on Outlaw. He shares too many similarities with Ariza's game and at $7M per year that's a nasty pill to swallow. Let the Nets keep him.

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I do not want Stromile Stift 2.0. The guy has the basketball IQ of a grapefruit.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

Outlaw doesn't have much upside at this point. He is what he is.

13. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

KAHHHHNN

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well when you're talking about trading for a young player with upside he must have some type of baggage if he is being traded.

15. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

IMO...no one on the teams' value is as high as Martin and Lee right now.

Martin is as good as he's gonig to get....is that good enough?

Does Mayo have more upside than where Martin already is as a player?
    Martin would fit in very will with the Bulls or Grizzlies, and with a third team, we could definitely get some picks and upside in the deal.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah he loves him some forwards it seems.

If they trade for Randolph they will have Love,Beasley, and Randolph. Nothing wrong with that but pretty dumb to give up a 1st for a guy that you don't really need.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Isn't upside another way of saying potential? This sounds like we are trading known commodities for more Terrence Williams-type players and I'll pass on that.

I'm not in favor of more projects on this team.

18. Rockzilla

Rockzilla Member

And I cant figure out why so many people here wants that dumbass so much. Already have Scola, Hill, Patterson and Hayes will be moved back once we get a real center. Hardly any room for Patterson as it is, what makes people think that Randolph will be ahead of any of those guys? He will just be another Williams here. Sitting on the bench all season while people on here whine and whine after every game.

19. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

I would like to thank God for giving people the talent to create smart phones, so I am able to leave the house on deadline day and still get all my Rockets trade news! I remember walking around Home Depot with my wife, refreshing the internet like a crackhead trying to see if we were gonna end up with Vince Carter a couple years ago! Deadline day is a good day for a 6 pack and a sedative, especially if ur team is as active as the Rockets!

20. worzel gummidge

Usually it's the opposite direction with "more upside".

Playoff or borderline line playoff teams might be interested in dumping injured or disappointing young players for vets like Brooks, Martin, scola, and Battier.

Anthony Randolph (3yr)
    Marreese Speights (3yr)
    Evan Turner
    The Bucks, everyone outside of Jennings & Bogut.
    Roddy Beaubois + Butler's expiring contract
    Luke Babbit