1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutch on 610 at 5:15pm

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CometsWin, Jun 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. NotChandlerParsons

Good for you J.R., and thanks. Yeah I actually see a remarkable amount of stuff from clutchfans reposted without context on other bball sites.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And deserved.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jimes

Jimes Member

J.R. fan here.

1 person likes this.
  4. hooroo

hooroo Member

Do the Rockets try to package Llull or Paps instead of a first rounder with Lin because they need cap room or exceptions to sign those players?

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I suppose when 'we' know who 'those' players are a sensical response will forthcome.

6. delishman

delishman Member

So not going the cap route meaning.. S&T more likely even for a FA?

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Interesting stuff. I have to admit, I was initially saddened by the news of Parsons' being a restricted FA. I just couldn't see how we could re-sign him AND get a max third guy. I'm still a little a skeptical now. But Clutch is right--Morey seems confident in his ability to create max space, and the writing is on the wall for Asik and Lin. Someone around the NBA would really have to help us out with Lin, but maybe we'll make it worth their time via assets like draft picks, rights to Euroleagers, or even some of the young prospects on our current 15-man.

It's gonna be a crazy offseason, and the Rockets are in great position to come away a better team. It's just really scary at the same time. The last thing you want is to get screwed by an Ainge.

8. izeroi

izeroi Member

Appreciate the link.

I'm ready for the finals to start/be over and for FA to get started!

9. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Thanks J.R.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

JR continues to be the guy.

Sites like RealGM and reddit get majority of anything Rockets related from Clutchfans mainly JR

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I don't like it. Imgur is blocked on my work computer and the text from the image doesn't translate well to an iPhone screen. CHANGE IT BACK! :mad:

12. FeaR

FeaR Member

Good idea J.R. You deserve a lot of credit. You are one of the best posters.When i see your name as a last post in a thread, i know i have to see what you posted.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Well I guess your SOL. :p

You see the news last night. Handicap this thing--what does this mean about Chandler Parsons being a Rocket long term?

I think he will be a Rocket long term. I think that's a good bet. I don't think we have all the info just yet. There's a lot of things this tells us that are more likely but I don't even think it's 100% a home run it's the exact route they'll go. As far as getting Parsons on the best deal, this is the best option for the Rockets. They play the restricted free agency game well. They force the player to go out and get what they're worth. The Rockets can remain in control, not letting Chandler walk in a year. It's a win-win as well because Chandler will get paid a year earlier and the Rockets will have some sign and trade possibilities as well. If it came to that, the Rockets could use Parsons, with his consent, where he would count more in a trade. He would be a BYC player. You sign him for $10 mil a year, he's worth $5 mil in a trade. That makes it a little tricky but it is a way to potentially make it so it's not his $1 mil cap hit right now. What is interesting, the cap hit will quadruple by just taking this approach, making him a restricted free agent. It will go from a little less than a million to a little less than 4 million. What's more likely, the Rockets are not going to go the cap room route, where they unload Lin and Asik for cap room but look at some type of trade moving out Lin and Asik simultaneously to get their third guy. The writing is absolutely on the wall for Lin and Asik. They're probably going trade route instead of sign-a-free agent route.

Chances someone comes up with an offer that might be tough in any way to match or uncomfortable to match?

You look at that situation, there will be guys ahead of Parsons, as far as attractive free agents, but someone could be left out in the cold with a ton of room. Someone could come in and blow the market away. That's what you have to look at. Why do we know this info right now? Someone is trying to create an early market for Chandler. It's a possibility. All it takes is for one team to overpay but I think the Rockets would rather be in position to match. They're probably taking a calculated risk in that they'll be able to get him at a respectable deal.

How do the Rockets look at Parsons? If they can work out a deal where they bring in a 3rd star but keep him at the same time.

I think that's exactly what they hope to do. The writing is on the wall that they'll try to do something with Lin and Asik before they have to match Parsons. If they sign Chandler this summer, which is what they would obviously be doing by making him a RFA, their 2015 cap room, which was on the back burner and a worst case scenario, would be wiped out. They're going all in this summer. They're confident they can move Lin and Asik or want teams to believe they are.

Potential landing spots for Lin and Asik and difficulty moving them?

Asik, I don't want to say easy, but you gotta find the right fit, a team like Atlanta, Charlotte, or Boston would be interested. Lin, it's like a niche. Find someone who needs a PG, could use a fan boost, that's harder to sell. It will take an asset to take on Lin's contract. He's a player who can help your team but like any player, there's a price and once you go past it, they become a negative and I think that's what he is trade value wise. Philadelphia, I would look at. You would see Daryl and Sam having quite a few conversations about what they could do. It's hard to get excited about the 25th pick because you may see them trade it. Asik will be moved without too much trouble but Lin will be a bit more complicated.

Of those on the short list, who do you like most and why?

Kevin Love would be ideal. He's by far the best fit offensively. He's an elite rebounder, he can slide over in spot minutes to play center, terrific 3 point shooter. Kevin Love would be my answer. He's very tough to acquire. There are teams that can beat what the Rockets can offer. It will come down to the player's choice and it will come down to Love wanting to be in Houston or not.

NBA Finals?

I'm pulling for the Spurs. I think they have enough to do it. I'm surprised they're there. They have the horses this year.

1 person likes this.
  14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Great stuff. Like the analysis on Parsons as well as Love.

15. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

The lazy ppl like myself thank you JR.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

19. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I never heard the bear talk.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Are you the same person that use to do the commentary for WWF?