1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clowney with Season Ending Injury (microfracture surgery, out 9 months)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tenchi, Dec 4, 2014.

1. kakaman

kakaman Member

He was cleared to play, but RGIII was not in football shape. He didn't play any preseason games and just went into the regular season with no reps. Shanahan didn't want to play him but the owner overruled him. Also, RGIII had that ridiculous "All in in Week 1" Adidas campaign that forced everyone's hands.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He did get some flack for that, but regardless, so many athletes that need second opinions goes to him. It's like there are no other capable doctors that can give second opinions. Ive never seen anything like this in the medical world. His word is the Bible apparently.

3. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Fix the damn turf

4. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

apparently he wouldnt touch clowney's knee with a 10ft pole

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

9 months means no training camp so more excuses for the clown going into next season.

put me down as not impressed and I blame the GM and scouts

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

One of my biggest complaints, generally, about the infromation in this forum is that it often devolves into very simple black or white, and gray is often disparaged or ignored. Here's a perfect example...

If they were truly shopping the pick, it might very well have been a lack of confidence in Clowney. But it might've been because they currently have a once-in-a-generation defensive player - and were 2-14. If you have that kind of ammunition, and can turn it into 3-4 very good players... that might have been the prudent path. Do you trade (unproven) JJ Watt for a Mack-like OLB; a Bridgewater-like QB; a starting DB and/or OL....?

At the end of the day - and most fans hate this - but it comes down to luck. The Colts got, well, Luck-y; the Texans were unlucky. They may have made some mikstakes and not done their due diligence - who knows? But based on everything we know (which is probably half, if that) - they couldn't find a trade partner and, at the end of the day, Clowney was, at 1.1, worth the tangible risk, ITO. And I think that's a defensible position. It hasn't worked out thus far, and that's simply unfortunate.

7. Summer Song Giver

Touche
    But it hurt when it happened to them, now I just laugh.

8. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Should have traded down :mad:

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Whatever.

Win 9 games or better yet...10 and make me forgot about this ****.

10. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

This. I didn't mind Texans taking Clowney at the time since there was no franchise QB in the draft but deep down felt the better value was in trading the number one pick. Looking like another wasted pick for this franchise. A lot of the Texans misfortune is incompetence but a lot is horrible luck as well.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

A modest proposal! :grin:

12. rezdawg

I meant in regards to getting final confirmation of what is happening. It's strange to me that the team orthopedic surgeons for all sports teams continually have issues or question marks regarding a player's injury...then Dr. Andrews steps in and gives the definitive treatment option.

It's like everyone is a step behind the guy in actually figuring out what the problem is.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He was just used for confirmation in Clowney's case. He is just an opinion you can trust so if there are questions about the surgery later it can easily be defended.

14. rezdawg

But that's my point. Why have a guy travel to another state if there are hundreds of capable doctors here that can give the same confirmation or opinion? Houston is the mecca of medicine, surely we have some capable people here, unless Andrews is head and shoulders above everyone.

Hundreds of athletes and most well known ones travel to see Andrews for that same confirmation...it's like if Andrews confirms, then it must be true. He's more dominant in medicine than any athlete has been in their respective sport.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This x 1,000. It is the most likely scenario. They most likely couldn't find a trade partner. In hindsight, they should have taken what the Bills gave the Falcons for Watkins. I understand why they did not, though, considering how well regarded Clowney was in some people's eyes (not mine, bit thats beside the point).

Too often people forget that out of every scenario that plays out, there are a hundred that didn't.

Also, if the turf isn't fixed next year, fans should protest outside the stadium. It's a horrid excuse for a playing field to have traysof grass combining to make a field.

#375 Two Sandwiches, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  16. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

this is fine & all, but heads need to roll.

the 2013/2014 drafts are proving to be ****.

17. Major

Major Member

I don't think it's that everyone is a step behind - it's that he tends to just recommend the most aggressive option (and he's very good at performing many of these procedures). For example, with baseball pitchers, you never hear of a player going to him and NOT coming out with a recommendation of Tommy John surgery. But rest or PRP therapy and things like that are alternatives. Tanaka of the Yankees this year got a Tommy John recommendation by Andrews, but opted for treatment and rest and came back to pitch later in the year.

Dr. Andrews is sort of a self-fulling prophecy. The players that are sent to him are ones that other doctors likely think need TJ surgery or whatnot. Before taking that drastic a step, you'd want a 2nd opinion - and if you're a athlete with resources, why not go to him? He confirms it, and because he's had so much success with it, it's not surprising that players would want him to then perform it.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

9 months? Just say a full season because if Clowney is ever toning to be 80% of what he was as a speed rusher it will be after some rigorous rehab. This will be the biggest test of his "motor" ever.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is that ah shucks McNair attitude that kept Kubiak and Rick Smih around for 8 years (Smith still being here).

I'm done getting angry about it because that's just the way McNair runs the ship. If you don't agree you should find another team. Texans aren't mismanaged, they are just unlucky. It's God's plan and whatnot.

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

What i suspect happened with the very first surgical procedure is that the Texans found arthritic changes within the knee. They cleared out the loose meniscal fragments only to really that the there is a possiblity of him having other symptoms later on. Lo and behold, he started experiencing more pain and swelling in his joint...leading to this microfracture surgery. Perhaps the Texans should have considered Meniscus repair as opposed to a meniscetomy...

I wonder why Andrews refused to do this surgery??