1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cloud Computing - What is it and what is its potential?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

So it sounds to me like cloud computing is an internet based main frame: save data to large servers using the internet.

So I am going to ask: why can't I just use the internet to save stuff to my computer/server without having to use another company's servers? Are there service providers that could allow me to save from one of my computers to another one of my computers, say like when I am out of the range of my wireless router?

What exactly does the cloud act as? Is it a hard drive or could it be like some sort of virtual/peripheral RAM for a phone or a tablet, temporarily storing data and deleting after it is used?

2. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

cloud is nothing but a fancy word for a server that hosts data/access software etc...

look into remote desktop.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I think its a bit more complicated than that. I use Splashtop Remote, a pretty decent remote desktop app, both on my HP TouchPad and on my Android phone, and while it does let me get access to my files and run Windows applications on my two devices (neither of which run the Windows apps natively), one challenge is that you need to "wake up" the desktop to run the remote desktop app. And I don't know of a simple way to do that remotely (perhaps smarter people than me can answer that?).

So a cloud-based app would seem both more accessible and more secure. Hence companies are all rushing to become "cloud" leaders. And most devices have apps like Box or DropBox as ways to store and access larger data files. And why large companies like SAP and Oracle are buying cloud-based app companies (eg SuccessFactors, Taleo).

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You can send a "magic packet" over the Ethernet cable and if you had your bios configured you can wakeup via lan. I used to have an iphone app to do it, but it is kind of a security risk.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Cloud computing is a virtual computer on a server or cluster of servers somewhere with almost always uptime.

Pros:
    Always On
    Software Updates are handled in the background
    Size/power is scalable
    Automatic backups are standard
    Hardware needs on your end are minimal
    Portable to any device that uses the client

Cons:
    Network issues on several fronts can bring you down entirely

If you have an ipad and want a free cloud PC, OnLive has a free 2gb storage Windows 7 / Basic MS Office desktop. Its also coming soon to other platforms.

http://desktop.onlive.com/

Remote Desktop isn't exactly the same as cloud computing as you're accessing a pc remotely. That PC may or may not be managed by you, so the ease of use and maintenance may be handled by you. Citrix pioneered Remote Desktop and they have cloud-based solutions.

#5 Xerobull, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The cloud used to be called online storage back in the day, now it has a fancy name.

DD

7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or a hosted solution, am I right?

The "servers in a cloud" are really in someone's data center and they charge you on a consumption based model. You limit the Hardware you need to purchase, and the service they provide is availability, on-demand scalability, and (hopefully) security.

8. Xerobull

That's incorrect. And you're a programmer. Shame on you.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, I know it is not cloud computing per se, but it has been around a lot longer than it has been called "Cloud computing" I remember SETI using cloud computing to help search the skies for radio signals....

DD

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KmXJSeMaoTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. ashiin

ashiin Member

Am I the only one who can't trust cloud servers completely? I really like having everything in an external hard drive...

12. Prince

Prince Member

i'm currently doing a pilot test on cloud computing. the only thing is, it's slow.

13. Xerobull

That's a very ambiguous term for IT troubleshooting. Is it slow to respond, does it have a poor refresh rate, etc?

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think *cloud computing* means whatever you want it to.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Why not both? Having the external hard drive is good if your network is down. The cloud is nice if you need to access things away from home. Just don't put anything extremely important on the cloud if you're worried about it.

(and color me shocked that DD made hasty generalizations about something on this BBS. I think he's batting about .200 when it comes to knowing what he's talking about).

#15 DieHard Rocket, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Yes - and where I think we're going is the elimination of computers/gadgets that each have limitations (size, heft, processor, graphics, etc)....to cloud-connected gadgets that only act as interfaces and displays. Sort of like remote operating via VPN.

You don't have to devote the same space/weight/cost to onboard hardware, you can just focus on the screen, radio and a few other things, and access "your" cloud computer to do everything else.

17. tested911

tested911 Member

One word Mainframe ..

18. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

As one who builds and manages cloud solutions, I can tell you its not quite that simple as just storage. How the basic infrastructure works is you have hardware with a virtual hypervisor on top. This allows companies to build out lots of virtual servers and sell them out to customers. I've worked with pretty much all of them, Rackspace, Firehost, Amazon, Softlayer, etc. Cloud is not equal to hosting. Hosting you get a finite amount of space that you share with other people on the same server. You don't get your own server to manage, reboot, pretty much root anything you want. Clouds allow you to build an entire server, probably on hardware that hosts other servers, but split and managed through its own vlan. FYI, we are a linux only shop, and almost ALL cloud providers out there are running either Xen hypervisors which is linux only, and VMware.

How cloud services work is instead of paying the upfront cost of servers, you pay monthly for services. This allows a flexible budget, so instead of spending 100k on hardware, colo costs, networking equipment, bandwidth, maintenance, etc, you just pay a monthly fee for services. It's NOT really the storage you are paying for, its the redundant infrastructure that is setup for you. This infrastructure they build out is pretty much worldwide, so you can have servers in all parts of the US, as well as across Asia, Europe, etc. This allows you to scale as your business grows, and during peak times, you can load up server in an instant, and balance load across all your servers. You can choose how many cores you want, memory, hard drives, san drives, network, IP addresses, which can scale up which is what makes cloud so useful to us.

For example, not only do we host a private cloud IaaS for our backup location in OKC, we have a cloud solution up at Softlayer. This allows us to scale, and if we want a presence in Asia, we just pop up a server in asia with an image of our server and 10 minutes later it is there.

Clouds have completely revolutionized the IT infrastructure for small businesses. The large companies will always have datacenters. It gets to a point once you get large enough, that you will have to go to a datacenter, but for small to meduim sized businesses, that have a limited amount of resources they don't need an entire IT dept.

Clouds will have disadvantages, as in if they are down, your whole site is down, but it is the same as an offsite datacenter. They have a whole technical team to work with. You can mitigate this by having multiple servers in different zones if you want complete redundancy, which is what we have. We have netscaler load balancers proxied to 4 web servers spread across, dallas, houston, DC, and LA. Our replication databases lie in 2 different locations also. They can talk to each other through the private vlan they setup for us. You just have to mitigate your risk, as with anything.

I hope this gives a little insight into cloud computing. It's not just storage of stuff, its to run servers and a flexible environment where you can scale up or down according to need. If you need anymore info, just ask :).

2 people like this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Cloud computing is a marketing term. If I have to hear words like cloud, agile, solutions, and mobilty much longer I'm gonna lose it.

20. LFE171

LFE171 Member

[​IMG]

"To the cloud!" -Taco