1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers tried to acquire Harden this month

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jul 23, 2019.

1. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I haven’t lived in Houston for a decade but is Galveston really 4 hours away? Or is there another beach?

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Galveston is actually about an hour away.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Don't overlook the possibility that the "unsalvageable relationship" rumors (whether true or not) might have given some GMs unrealistic hopes about their chances at snagging Harden in a trade.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

4 hours away? Are we skateboarding to Galveston?

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I google mapped it and it'll take almost 9 hours on bike from downtown Houston to Galveston.

hakeem94, chenjy9 and justtxyank like this.
  7. justtxyank

No wonder NBA players don’t want to live here! Who needs that kind of cardio

8. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Not surprised Kawhi would have liked to play with the 3 time MVP James Harden. Hardens great offensive game and durability plus Kawhi’s great defensive game and propensity to play well in big moments would’ve meant multiple championships. Too bad Kawhi wanted to go home.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

that guy is so full of it and exagerates everything, now the beach is 4 hrs away.

Have people been to these other NBA cities? For as much as Houston is not LA or NY it's one of the top cities. Stop using that as a damn excuse.

BigShasta likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Daryl Morey

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  11. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Kick, kick, push!

I live in Austin (have actually been here since graduating from UT) now so it takes me about 4 hours to get to Galveston. I forgot that from Houston it only takes about an hour.

justtxyank likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Sigh..

It isn't "in spite" of Houston.

The Rockets are at the top of the list of teams outside of Southern California and New York.

Hell, the Rockets are a more attractive destination than Chicago and Dallas and Philadephia (larger media markets).

H-Town is "polluted"? Have you ever been to Los Angeles or parts of NYC?

Los Angels is worst in North America for air quality.... soot, smog and ozone... and the beaches around Los Angeles all score very low on water clean levels.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I can absolutely believe Jerry West giving Morey a call to see if the rumors of an unsalvageable relationship were true. What I refuse to believe is that Harden gave the organization some sort of ultimatum. I think that's more Vincent Goodwill nonsense that amateur reporters are running with as fact because it makes their story juicier. Harden has never operated that way, and has always rolled with the punches when it came to roster development. In fact, it's one of the biggest reasons why I'm so on board with the Westbrook move.....it's his turn to try and play with someone he's confident in. I think he WAS confident in CP3, but he lost that confidence after Paul proved he couldn't stay healthy or perform when needed.

House Rockets likes this.
  14. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Is this like when Morey called Cuban/ Nelson Jr. to trade for Dirk?

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/daryl-morey-says-he-called-cuban-asking-for-a-nowitzki-trade/

And when the Warriors pulled off an improbable summer manuever to sign Andre Iguodala, it sent Rockets general manager into a panic. He was worried that the Warriors had just made a big enough move to convince Dwight Howard to sign in Golden State.

So Morey started working the phones for another superstar to add, and ended up calling Mark Cuban in desperation to ask about Dirk Nowitzki. Morey recounted the story at the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, via Pro Basketball Talk.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Honest question: when was the last time you spent any real time in Houston? Your previous post makes it sound like you're talking about Houston from about 2005.

16. chenjy9

Supporting Member

2002. I go back for some holidays and weekends every now and then to visit my parents, but spend most of my time in Chinatown.

Pre-2002, I lived mostly in New Territory but visited Katy and the Rice area all the time.

#96 chenjy9, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  17. JW86

JW86 Member

So a call was made, a no was said, interesting...

18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Per the last “State of the Air” report, Houston was still in the top 10 for pollution. Also, are we really trying to compare the glamor of LA and NYC to Houston?

19. justtxyank

Men don't go to LA beaches for clean water, they go for dirty bikinis.

chenjy9 and topfive like this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

So you think Morey looked at CP3 and thought, "Yeah, we've been close the last couple of years, and one of only two teams the beat the Warriors regularly, but it's time to shake things up by adding another year of massive salary for guy who may or may not fit"?

I suppose it's possible, but IMO it would be more likely that James told him, "Man, I'm tired of dealing with CP3's **** all the time. I think we'd have a better shot at a chip with my buddy Russ, who's a year younger and never slacks, and me and him actually get along well." Might've even tossed in something about the injury-waiting-to-happen issue.

Some ultimatums are much subtler than others.

hakeem94 likes this.