1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers put Howard/Smith on the Line 27 times, spend most of game in penalty, whine about FT dispar

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, May 7, 2015.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles...rs-question-free-throw-disparity-with-rockets

Good maths, Blake & Barnes:

Again, the Clippers either purposefully off-the-ball, or accidentally-on-purpose on the ball, sent two of the Rockets worst FT shooters to the line 27 times.

1 person likes this.
  2. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

The Clippers complaining about free throws like this is about as mind boggling as Mavericks complaining about flopping

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah I heard that this morning. Ridiculous. I think they also hacked TJones once and then they fouled two guys shooting 3s if I remember correctly. There were also intentional (but not the usual) fouls on Corey Brewer on the break to stop him from getting a layup.

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

In fairness the Rockets finally woke up later in the last half of the final two quarters when the Clippers had already put themselves in the penalty with the Hack-A tactic. I didn't see a ton of bad calls - a few questionable ones for sure but honestly both teams got a share of those.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

And to think I was going to make the point that the Rockets are the only team who gets called for a foul on a moving screen AND call a foul on our guy when he gets hit by a moving screen lol.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

TJones was key last night. He played poorly and hesitantly in the first half. Why?

Because you can't f'ing breathe on Blake Griffin.

The first quarter saw a number of questionable calls/non-calls on Blake. Jones first foul was a clear offensive foul by Blake - he uses his off arm to hold off/push of Jones, then plows into Jones, who is really just standing straight, so even if you don't call the offensive foul, you shouldn't call the defensive foul, but the refs call the foul anyway.

Jones goes out early, McHale has his rotations screwed up early than he wanted, and it snowballs. McHale isn't great with roations.

TJ was +2 when he went out with 2 fouls. Came back late in the first, was +3 in that stint. He was -9 in the second... but playing with a unit he doesn't normally play with. In the third and fourth, he was +10.

TJ's +6 for the game was the Rockets second best.

The Clippers have benefited from refereeing the most this series, bar none.

7. ibm

ibm Member

from dic rivers to his players, the clips have always been whiny. i am not surprised. it's kinda like they're just doing their routine job. lol.

but seriously, for those who talk about the ft disparity, has anyone analyzed how many were intentional fouls by the clips, incl. those last-minute-of-the-game fouls? has anyone pointed out particular unjust calls? or have they truly watched the game???

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Congratulations, Clippers. You just invented the post-game flop.

2 people like this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Good job ibm.

10. rocks123

rocks123 Member

they have the nerve to complain about FT when most of their fouls are intentional?? wow. They better not hack dwight or smith the next game.

11. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Seriously can't stand the Clippers and the vibe they give.

Just a roster filled with douchebags, posers and whiners.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think the rockets and clippers might be the two most hated teams in the league.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Clippers love to complain. I'd be weirded out of they didn't complain about the FT difference. Matt Barnes is an ass too.

14. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

They intentionally fouled us the whole game! WTF

15. RedRising14

RedRising14 Member

I don't understand how these Clippers get no sort of discipline when they constantly complain to and about the refs on and off the court. Even Doc Rivers says the complaining needs to stop, but how can he expect his players to stop complaining when he's the biggest whiner of the bunch?!? It just amazes me lol.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'd just like to know which fouls in particular the Clippers thought shouldn't have been called. The intentional ones on Dwight and Smith I assume they don't take issue with. The fouls on Brewer and Ariza were legit. So was that early foul on T-Jones.

So what's that leave? 22 free throws attempted by Harden, Terry, and Pepperoni. Are those the calls they're upset about?

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If we can say that fouling someone who shoots under 60% is a good bet, then fouls to Howard (53%), Smith (52%), Brewer (53%), and Capela (17%) are good fouls. On the Clippers, fouls on Jordan (40%), Turkuglu (55%), and Rivers (58%) are good. So, if you bifurcate fouls between good ones and bad ones, it looks like this:

Rockets free throws:
    * Good: 29-31
    * Bad: 13-33

Clippers free throws:
    * Good: 20-24
    * Bad: 5-8

With a 31 to 24 advantage on good free throws, I suppose they're right we got some benefit of the whistle. A lot of that is going to come from them being in the penalty all the time.

On the other hand, the 17 missed bad free throw delta between the teams represents about 8 more opportunities they had. Looking through that lens, given the choice would you choose (a) a 8 more attempts on the basket or (b) 7 more shots from the free throw line? I think they did alright.

18. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

You have to admit the reffing was clearly in our favor last night. And that's being objective about it

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The 2 early Jordan fouls definitely helped. But I don't think it was that much in favor of the Rockets. Who was in foul trouble in the 2nd half? Dwight and James both had 4 fouls early in the 3rd quarter.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Counting the foul on Harden in the last 2 minutes to stop the clock, 29 of the Rockets 64 FT's, nearly the entire disparity between the Rockets and Clippers 30-something FT's - were FT's that the Clippers WANTED THE ROCKETS TO TAKE.

Can you point to a single egregious touch foul that shouldn't have been?