1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers, Paul George agree to 4-year extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Dec 10, 2020.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Generally the top 1% of any large industry/business make obscene amount of money.

dmoneybangbang and roslolian like this.
  2. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Jerami Grant and Domantas Sabonis make 20 mil per. Tobias Harris makes 35mil per.

The system is broken

Jontro and bmelo like this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's not broken, but rather the league has gone global and generated huge amount of revenue because of it which directly benefits the players and owners. Most owners I'm sure make good money from this. Someone has to be able to get the revenues and the players are the reason the league is worth what is worth.

I don't understand how players don't deserve that revenue at all. If ESPN or TNT didn't pay billions for the rights, then the players wouldn't be able to get paid what they paid. Go complain at ESPN and TNT (or local TV deals for that matter). Better yet, protest, and convince a huge amount of the fanbase to stop watching the NBA.

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

They are the top 100 or so in the world at their profession. A profession in which their organization alone generates upwards of 8 billion annually.

If the system is broken, who deserves the revenue they create?

5. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

I think when a super star makes 40-45 and the salary cap is 110 it handicaps teams trying to fill out rosters. I'm not sure there's a way to create parity in the league. As it is now small markets throw max dollars at less than top 30 talent to remain revelant bc they must. And the teams with 2 real stars get boys taking paycuts to latch on.

BamBam likes this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

yup, when they introduced the super max, it was meant for it to go to MVP level franchise players, and gives an incentive for small markets to retain these players. Players like Lebron, Harden, Giannis etc.

Now everyone and their mother are getting super maxes, and all it's doing is handicapping teams. Almost none of the super maxes have turned out well, John Wall, Westbrook, Blake Griffin etc.

7. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Parity is def a tough ideal to achieve. Certain franchises, markets and owners are going to have advantages over others.

That's said, the current system isn't great either. Imo the solution would be the same system of lux tax, soft cap but with the elimination of max salary.

The true superstars are underpaid. Capping the salary of a prime LeBron and Curry allowed for AD and Durant to join and stay with those teams. If LeBron could've made 50%-60% of the cap back in 2010, it would've been impossible for MIA to obtain him, wade and bosh unless they all sacrificed 50% and not 5% of their money.

GotGame15 likes this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe they need to make a rule such as allowing an NBA to pay their superstar player as they wish, however, their cap only counts for 35% of the teams cap.

For example, give teams the ability to retain their star player by paying them ultra high amounts and the theory would be that you could only designate this to one player in your team that has been with the team for at least 3 years. This way, it deters a rich team like the Knicks to come in an make a similar offer and designate that exception to a player not on their team.

I'd imagine most stars would take the money. For example, during the Miami/Cleveland issue. Imagine Cleveland being able to offer Lebron a 3 year / $300 million contract, as oppose to the Heat only being able to offer a max contract at 3 years / $90 million. I hope you get my point.

blahblehblah likes this.
  9. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

In theory it sounds like a great idea to protect smaller market teams. And it might be a really good idea. My only concern would be that such a rule - which helps owners spend more without increasing cap ( tax?) would give/force owners incentive to use this on marginal stars.

Would this exception likely be used on the best player on every team, like how the current max is? If not its a great idea and would help teams retain their stars.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Can't think of many players who's image naturally worsened from likable to turn-off, the way Paul George has. He was the underdog making himself a star, on scrappy emerging teams. Had freak injury rightfully deserving sympathy, and praise from coming back from. Then... the diva complex just revealed itself, unforced.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Irving? KD? Lebron with the Decision?

Shroopy2 likes this.
  12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

13. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't believe this source, and even if accurate, I have a hard time believing the Clippers just blow it up since they don't currently own a future. We are talking about two aging stars that have frequent injuries. They've already invested a ton into the role players and coach. May as well see it through even if it's going nowhere.

YOLO likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Kawhi and PG are both part-time players

hard to build any sort of cohesiveness or momentum when your 2 best players seem to spend just as much time in street clothes as they do on the actual court

i3artow i3aller and gfab-babyboi like this.
  16. i3artow i3aller

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Kind of how they did us

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

Tyler Herro, you rascal!

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

How many teams came out on top after trading away all their first round picks for a player?

I guess the Lakers won a championship after getting AD but ever since then it's been down hill. Even that trade is looking like a wash at best.

20. i3artow i3aller