1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers interested in Smoove

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Jul 6, 2015.

1. malakas

malakas Member

uhm..yes it has. He is in his athletic peak.

2. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

In terms of how gms view each player, yes they are very comparable. David West may be older and have a different game, but he commands the respect of his peers and has always been team first. Though it may blown up by the media, Josh Smith is not a team leader and most definitely past his prime (the guy used to be an all around stat sheet stuffer).

3. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Not many people would say that Smith is in his prime. Also, he's played more NBA games and minutes than David West has. Don't let age fool you, Smith has a lot of mileage on those tires.

4. malakas

malakas Member

All this is true. Except that Smith is not in his prime anymore athletically.
    But then there are people putting spins as " he should be loyal" and we "rehabilitiated his value" when the proof that we did jack **** to his value and perception around the league is before our eyes.
    Heck even our perception is the same. We rather pay a rookie than him.

5. malakas

malakas Member

Judging from the panic the West move to Spurs caused here I am certain that almost noone watched any Indy games last year. West was awful. Smith is much better, athletically. It's not even comparable.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Smith is actually on the decline as far as athletically. those days peaked in Atl.

7. malakas

malakas Member

I disagree. He's still on his prime. He is not someone who one would describe " declined player" and certainly it's not anyone on his right mind would even compare with David West.

8. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I do agree with you that he doesn't us for "loyalty" but I still disagree with you that we rehabilitated his value. Imagine him staying with Detroit for the season and continuing the kind of season he was having. He would have had a better shot at playing in China than the NBA. If you look at it from this perspective, we are the location for him to maximize his talent (Also, I bet him and Dwight had some crazy nights out on the town).

9. HeWhoIsLunchbox

No one has compared their abilities or athleticism, people have compared the situations. They're completely different players.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

All West really has is that mid range jumper at this point in his career. In fact Aldridge, Leonard and West all have nice mid range jumpers. The Spurs are going to have tons of pressure to win it all this coming season and if the rockets can make a move for a really good play making PG and a good defensive coach I'm not to worried.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

i disagree as well. his ability now compared to his days in atl especially around the basket are much more limited. he can no longer elevate to the extent and frequency as much as he did years ago. I saw that once he decided to sign here. there's a huge difference. being 29 doesn't mean in your prime for everyone. I'm not sure where david west came from but he was never known to be athletic. so im not even comparing the two.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Do you mean if he hadn't be waived? If he hadn't been waived he would be happy now getting tens of millions of dollars. Detroit ANYWAY lost Monroe and lost the playoffs.
    And the value shows in the $. It's apparent the perception around the league of his worth remains the same. Vet min worthy.
    The situations? You mean the situation where David West WILLINGLY left 11 million on the table and joined a contender as ring chaser and the situation of Josh Smith UNWILLINGLY being waived and looking for a contract?

Do you really people think that if Josh Smith was looking to just sign with us he wouldn't already be signed? We can for 7 days now sign him both at 2.5 and at vet min.
    But the mle..NO!
    This is a clear gesture to Smith that he is worth to us less than Kj. It couldn't be more clear.

13. malakas

malakas Member

and people are comparing David freaking West who was one foot out of retirement with Josh Smith...lol

14. Rokman

Rokman Member

I hope that Dwight plans to stay in Houston long-term and isn't telling Josh he is going to opt out after next year and bolt. I think now that those two have finally had a chance to play together as pro's they are going to want to keep it that way. If Howard doesn't like playing with Harden I don't see Smith resigning. Hopefully, these guys don't have bad blood. Anyone have any true insight into the relationships?

15. PointZero

PointZero Member

Josh Smith has matured into a point forward/stretch 4 with a respectable (and sometimes deadly) perimeter shot.

He's unselfish, good passer and ball handler for his size. Precisely the stretch 4 the Rockets need to compliment Dwight's interior play.

To me, he's key. Should have been the Rockets' top free agent priority this offseason.

16. malakas

malakas Member

allow me to clarify. He is not as athletic as he was in atlanta but he is not at a level where one can say " he is declined athletically". He is still relativelly on peak athletic abillity.
    But all this doesnt even matter so much because Smith problem was and has always been his brain. (not iq but basketball).

I don't understand people trying to shame blame him when someone at his age only 29 is looking to get a good next contract and won't just accept a near vet min.
    Jason Smith just got 4.3 ...scrubs get money left and right.

17. PointZero

PointZero Member

I think at age 29 he's maturing into a better basketball player. Still quite athletic, he looks like a better shooter/passer/ball handler than he used to be. Very skilled athlete for a stretch 4 and a great fit with Dwight.

Light years better than Terrence Jones.

18. HeWhoIsLunchbox

The situation of a guy giving up extra money in order to be on a team with a better chance to win.

But Josh is still getting paid by Detroit. So if he signed the $2.49M Qualifying Offer from the Rockets, he'd make ~$7M next year. He'd make $1.5M more if he signed for the full MLE. So the Rockets would be paying $3M more, but Josh would only see $1.5M of that and the Rockets would lose the ability to retain KJ McDaniels.

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

If they don't sign Smith then what? I'll roll into the season confident with both a "healthy" TJ and DMO all day. I think the both of them will be much better next as they are still extremely young, but they need to stay healthy. Jones missed 49 games and had a very serious nerve injury, plus DMO needed back surgery and he's only 24 years old. Health will be the key for those two guys.

20. malakas

malakas Member

and if he signed elsewhere for more money that the peanuts of 2.49 m that someone like aaron brooks is making next season (he is done) he would earn even more money.
    This isn't a debate on what the Rockets should do. This is on how is for Josh Smith. The team he chose and contributed and helped reach the WCF rather pays more money to a rookie who did nothing than him. Do you see his perspective?
    And he didn't CHOOSE to give up money to win. It's not like David West at all. This was forced upon him. He chose a contender to remake his value, and it did nothing in that regard. It failed.