1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers are kicking ass - what do you think of them now?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MartianMan, Nov 16, 2005.

1. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

Clippers are looking legitimate this year. What do you think of their chances?

One thing i notice is that they don't get much respect from the refs, but they have so much freaking talent it's amazing they are under the radar. Then again, they are the clippers...

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I don't think much of them at all. They are pretenders. They have started the reason off really hot. But then again, look at who they have played.

Minn 2 times (1 a loss), Atlanta, Washington, Seatle, and Philly (loss)

3. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

I love Elton Brand, but I will never underestimate Sterling's ability to f**k things up again.

Having said that, Sterling was kind of right about Olawakandi, Miles, and Taylor.

My goal for the Clips is not to make the playoffs. I'm happy as long as they do better than the Lakers.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Sterling is not a bad evaluator of talent. He is just a miser, and only cares about his pccket.

5. gsd99rhc

gsd99rhc Member

every year, they start off looking good. then comes the talk, "is this the year?" then comes the collapse towards the middle of the year, and finally the fade to mediocrity. same as always.

they've stockpiled so many lottery picks over the years, it's incredible how they haven't had more success. but sterling is a smart owner--he keeps his payroll low by shipping out the lottery picks when their rookie contracts are up, and keep just enough good players to keep the fans guessing, "is he really trying to build a team?" he always gets tons of draft picks from trades--less expensive rookie labor.

financially, the team is apparently a huge success--and that means sterling has done well. wins and losses are irrelevant when you have the lakers to take the heat off of your franchise.

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

The Clippers can be a playoff team (and maybe even make some noise) IF their starters stay healty (namely Cassell and Brand). Sterling might have ponied up some cash for Brand, Maggette and Mobes, but he's still a major skinflint. They just never have any depth, or make a move to fill holes during the season.

Last season while they were still in the playoff hunt, and started getting wrecked with injuries to their PG position, did they make a move? No. Instead of doing something to keep the team afloat, they decided to run Rick Brunson and some other no-name out there as their starting PG.

The clippers will never have any consistent success with Don Sterling as their owner. They just never do any of the little things. They didn't even have a weight training room until this year (it might even next year. I don't recall offhand). Welcome to the 90's Don.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yes.

Shaun Livingston isn't even at 100%. It'll take a disastrous injury bug like last year to knock them out of playoff contention. The West is a lot weaker.

8. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Doesn't surprise me at all. In the WC prediction thread, I said they had no excuse this time not to make the playoffs. They have a decent coach, plus a very good roster. I don't remember them ever having a backcourt like Sam and Cat. When you add in Brand and Maggette how can you not make the playoffs?

Here's how: With Livingston down again, this team is too dependent on Sam. If he starts missing games the Clippers are very vulnerable. I want to see what Sam is doing later when teams are making their playoff runs. Depth is a concern. As many have said in another thread, it's an 82 game season. I'll predict this: If Sam plays without injury in 75+ games, pencil the Clippers into the playoffs and they won't be seed #8. Only injuries will keep this team out.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

They are better than the Rockets right now.

DD

10. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

i wont believe that they will make the playoffs until the 82nd game is over and i see them in one of the top 8 seeds.

11. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

[​IMG]

;)

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I said it at the beginning of the year
    and I say it now
    Beware of the Clippers

This is not THEIR YEAR
    but they will IMO take someone's playoff spot

Rocket River

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm torn in that I could never root for a terrible owner like Sterling, but I can't root against Cassell or Mobley, and they have both. They've got some legit players this time around instead of the all-style-no-substance lotto picks they've used in the past. So, maybe the players will actually overcome Sterling's curse.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I am surprised they are doing so well, shocked actually. They look like they definitely could be playoff bound. But you know what? It's the Clippers. How can anybody put faith in them to actually do anything until they actually do it? They may indeed be playoff bound but I wouldn't be willing to bet on it. They are just as likely to collapse and be dumping salary at the trade deadline.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I told all of you guys that the Clips would be good.
    any basketball person knows the Sam Cassell is the best PG in the league.

good shooter? check
    good passer? check
    low turnovers? check
    championship experience? check
    vocal leader? check

Cassell > Kidd
    Cassell > Bibby
    Cassell > Marbury
    Cassell > Francis
    Cassell > Skip2MyLou

[​IMG]

They play the Lakers on friday. Go Sam!

16. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

He's not the best PG on his team, let alone the league.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

When healthy he is...but that guy breaks down more often than John Daly's rehab.

DD

18. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

It's not how you start...it's how you finish. It is an 82 game marathon season for a reason.

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Cassell might be the thing they needed to get over the hump - a leader.

Not a bad mascot either.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

who's the best pg on the clippers? what are his stats vs sams?

i hate to boom you like this but you played yourself on this question.