1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clinton Portis/Redskins - Agreement to a deal worth $50.5 million

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1748249&partnersite=espn

In a deal that clears the way for his trade to the Washington Redskins later this week, Denver Broncos tailback Clinton Portis reached agreement Monday on a contract that makes him the highest-paid running back in league history, ESPN.com has learned.

Portis will sign an eight-year deal that is worth $50.5 million and includes $17 million in combined signing and option bonuses, several league sources confirmed for ESPN.com.

The agreement is a blockbuster not only in terms of the millions of dollars negotiated by agents Drew Rosenhaus and Jason Rosenhaus, but also because the Redskins were not under any pressure to reach a new deal with Portis. The lack of negotiating leverage on the part of Portis, who had said over the weekend that he would not hold out of training camp even if he did not get a new contract, certainly adds to the achievement of netting such a deal.

The Rosenhauses did not immediately return calls.

The contract has not yet been signed, but there are no additional hurdles to clear. The deal will become official later this week, as will Portis' trade to the Redskins for Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey and a second-round draft choice.

Because of the NFL's annual moratorium on trades, the mega-swap of two of the NFL's brightest young stars cannot be announced until Wednesday.

Portis, 22, still had two seasons remaining on the original four-year contract he signed with the Broncos as a second-round choice in the 2002 draft. That contract paid him a signing bonus of $1.29 million but only minimum base salaries for all four seasons. He was scheduled to earn only $380,000 in 2004 and $455,000 in 2005.

Denver officials had steadfastly balked at renegotiating the contract, part of the reason for the trade. The Broncos did, at one point in the discussions, offer to insure the 2004 portion of the contract.

Technically, because Portis was under contract, the Redskins could have completed the trade without consummating a new deal for the former University of Miami star. In fact, in recent days, team officials had publicly assumed that stance, insisting they were prepared to move ahead with the trade and handle Portis' contract situation later.

But it made no sense, particularly once the Redskins' offer reached record proportions, to delay an agreement.

Portis has rushed for 3,099 yards, eclipsing the 1,500-yard mark in both of his NFL seasons, and 29 touchdowns. He will become the centerpiece for the run-oriented offense favored by new Redskins coach Joe Gibbs.

Bailey is expected to complete a review of his pending contract with the Broncos later Monday and probably sign it Tuesday. Agent Jack Reale sent back to Broncos officials all requested revisions and Monday was awaiting a copy of the contract's final draft. Reale told ESPN.com there were no impediments to completing the deal, beyond reducing the complicated documente to contract language.

ESPN.com has learned that Bailey's contract will be for seven seasons, not the six that has been widely reported. It could make him one of the highest-paid defensive players in league history.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Yehaw! As a born in East Texas Cowboy fan , there is nothing that gives me more joy than watching Daniel Snyder hamstring the Redskins salary cap.

You can't buy a title in the NFL Danny!

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Is Portis this good and worth it...I don't think he is...Is he talented, yes, but every Denver running back looks awesome due to there O-Line...

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

My father, who is a huge Redskins fan, has been complaining to me about the Redskins having to give up a 2nd round pick in this deal.

All I know is that I am pretty happy right now and looking forward to the upcoming NFL season!!:D :D

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

You know, with that 2nd pick, it's quite possible that the Broncos will pick up the next Portis. :) Is Alex Gibbs the best OL coach in NFL history?

I've pretty much given up trying to figure out the real values of NFL contracts anymore. It's just too much of a headache. But it seems like the Redskins overpaid. I mean, Portis is guaranteed for the next two years at under $2 mil. Even if the market for a franchise RB in two years is $20+ mil SB, it's still assuming that Portis keeps up his numbers AND stay injury-free. Neither of which are given.

Right now, I'd give the edge to the Broncos on this deal.

6. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

After seeing Daniel Synder once again overpay for a player i'm definitely giving the edge to Denver. I think Portis is a good back but his numbers are somewhat inflated due to being behind that great Denver line. We'll see what he can do in Washington. I don't think it'll be enough to say he deserves to be the highest paid running back ever.

7. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

As a Cowboy fan I am thrilled for a couple reasons:

1. Clinton may be good but as others have said the O-line in Denver makes every back look great.
    2. Washington was also pursuing Corey Dillon and other RBs in FA. That opens opens up Dallas to make a deal (directly w/ the Bengals) or wait until Dillon and/or Eddie George is cut then pursue one of them. Personally I love Eddie but I think Corey has a little more left in the tank.

8. intermill

intermill Contributing Member

I think Daniel Synder could be the worst owner in the NFL. If they have one big year or even just a big name he will over pay them. I some times think that he does not follow football and would only know a name because he saw it on the cover of the USA Today sports section. Freaking Idiot. Portis is good but not worth that contract.

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I really think this is a bad move for the Skins. I just see Portis as another Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson etc.

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I think he is better than that. But I am pretty sure he isn't a Marshal Faulk, and not sure he is a Ricky Williams or Priest Holmes either.

To get one of the top 4 youngish CBs in the league and a 2nd round pick for Portis seems like a hell of a deal for the Broncos.

Yes Washington spending all that $ on Lavar, Portis and 2 OK but less than spectacular QBs--as a Cowboy fan I do like what is happening up their in Skin land. Now I think they will have major holes on offense and defense just when it look liked they at least looked like they could put together a solid young defense.

Looks like the Cowboys only divisional threat with the kind of foresight, planning and building blocks to put a complete team together are those darned Iggles. We just have to find ways to close the McNabb--whoever is the Cowboy QB gap because otherwise the Cowboys are solidly superior.