1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clinton aides: Palin treatment sexist

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IROC it, Sep 4, 2008.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

So... I see I'm not the only one that thinks the chauvinism is obvious.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080904/pl_politico/13129;_ylt=AqIaU3aNTaGK2VHNZjF5TuRsnwcF

Clinton aides: Palin treatment sexist

Beth Frerking, John F. Harris Wed Sep 3, 8:11 PM ET

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Sarah Palin found some unlikely allies Wednesday as leading academics and even former top aides to Hillary Rodham Clinton endorsed the Republican charge that John McCain’s running mate has been subject to a sexist double standard by the news media and Democrats.

Georgetown University professor Deborah Tannen, who has written best-selling books on gender differences, said she agrees with complaints that Palin skeptics — including prominent voices in the news media — have crossed a line by speculating about whether the Alaska governor is neglecting her family in pursuit of national office.

“What we’re dealing with now, there’s nothing subtle about it,
    ” said Tannen. “We’re dealing with the assumption that child-rearing is the job of women and not men. Is it sexist? Yes.”

“There’s no way those questions would be asked of a male candidate,” said Howard Wolfson a former top strategist for Clinton’s presidential campaign.

The sexism charge was hurled with new intensity Wednesday afternoon by McCain surrogates, all women, at a news conference just hours before made her acceptance speech here - a speech in which she said this about the media and Washington elite: "I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion - I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country."

The tense encounter with reporters showed how McCain’s team has abandoned all pretense that this convention is about anything but Palin, her résumé and her wildly unexpected ascension to the GOP ticket.

A choice that was intended to shake up the race did so with more ferocity than McCain ever intended. The mother of five — with one pregnant teenage daughter and an infant son with Down syndrome — has joined a parade of personalities from Anita Hill to O.J. Simpson to Monica Lewinsky to become a cultural flash point.

As the controversy over her qualifications and McCain’s vetting process overwhelmed events here, hypocritical rhetoric was flowing at full tide on all sides of the debate.

Many conservatives, who spent a generation ridiculing the politics of victimhood and group identity, are now zealously invoking both in the Twin Cities. A common GOP talking point here is that Palin’s gender and experiences as a mother should be counted as an asset among her qualifications. At the news conference, former Massachusetts Gov. Jane Swift condemned “an outrageous smear campaign” against Palin, and former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina said, “The Republican Party will not stand by while Gov. Palin is subjected to sexist attacks.”...

Even so, many media and liberal voices have made the job easy for McCain’s spin squadrons. Among the eyebrow-raising comments in recent days:

Democrat Joe Biden, in what he intended as self-deprecating remark, observed, “There's a gigantic difference between John McCain and Barack Obama and between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent. ... She's good looking."

• A spokeswoman for the National Organization for Women, noting Palin’s opposition to abortion rights and support of other parts of the social conservative agenda, told Politico, “She's more a conservative man than she is a woman on women's issues. Very disappointing."

Liberal radio host Ed Schultz used the words “bimbo alert” to refer to Palin, and the Huffington Post featured a photo montage of Palin with the headline, “Former Beauty Queen, Future VP?”

• CNN’s John Roberts recently pondered on air: “Children with Down’s syndrome require an awful lot of attention. The role of vice president, it seems to me, would take up an awful lot of her time, and it raises the issue of how much time will she have to dedicate to her newborn child?”

This line of inquiry was echoed by writer Sally Quinn, who in her “On Faith” column for washingtonpost.com agreed that Palin is a “bright, attractive, impressive person,” but also asked, “is she prepared for the all-consuming nature of the job?”

“Her first priority has to be her children,” Quinn wrote. “When the phone rings at 3 in the morning and one of her children is really sick what choice will she make?”

There is little question that these questions are being asked around kitchen tables. But there are recent examples of a double standard.

Former Sen. John Edwards (D-N.C.) was more frequently praised for his perseverance than hazed for misplaced priorities when he continued his presidential campaign even after wife Elizabeth Edwards was diagnosed with an incurable form of cancer. The couple has two children still at home, ages 10 and 8.

Edwards was himself a close finalist for a vice presidential nod in 2000, when Al Gore nearly tapped him at a time when he had served the same amount of time in the U.S. Senate that Palin has as Alaska governor, and about the same amount of time that Barack Obama had served when he began his presidential quest two years ago.

Phil Singer, who worked with Wolfson on Clinton’s campaign, said the news media tend to focus on different sets of subjects when covering women candidates. He noted articles on Clinton’s cleavage, and whether she had the personality of a “b****.”

“There’s no question that the issues a woman has to deal with are different,” Singer said, adding that, “The real indictment that needs to be prosecuted is about her views, not her personal life.”

Rep. Tom Cole of Oklahoma, chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, said in a Politico interview Wednesday that a double standard was being applied against Palin, in part because she is unknown to Washington reporters. “It’s always a dangerous thing to surprise the press,” he said. “When you’re unorthodox and unpredictable, you pay a price.”

He also noted a subject that “I probably shouldn’t get into” on the record, before deciding to plunge in: Historically, Cole, said “to be a leader in the women’s movement, you have to be a liberal. This is clearly a very liberated woman who is not a liberal. And I think there is some tension with that because again, she breaks a lot of stereotypes and molds.”

Some commentators said the McCain campaign has no grounds for complaint about sexism because it stressed her family background in her public unveiling last week in Dayton, Ohio, with her children on stage.

“The first image here [of Palin] was: This is a woman who is a wife and a mother, and let us tell you about her family,” said Ruth B. Mandel, a founder of and senior scholar at the Center for American Women and Politics at Rutgers University. “If they want the country to see her in a different way, and if they want the children and the family to be off-limits, they have to reframe it. You can’t have it both ways.”

Barbara Risman, a leader of the Council on Contemporary Families and a sociology professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago, walked a middle ground on the emergence of gender identity politics in the presidential race.

“It makes absolutely no sense for me to vote for a woman just because I have a vagina and so does she,” said Risman. “But it does make sense for me … I believe that someone who has lived a life like mine just might understand my struggles more than others.”

And she hoped that Palin and the uproar over her coverage would prove itself to be a cultural milestone: “I think it’s really important, from this day forward, that we all ask about every candidate’s work life and home life. It’s sexism otherwise. ... We have to be careful not to ask her questions that we wouldn’t ask a male candidate.”

Cecile Dehesdin, Ryan Grim, David Paul Kuhn contributed to this story.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

again, i agree some of the questions asked weren't fair (esp. being mother and VP and take care of the kids). but those questions were asked far and few in between.

the main questions i've heard is her experience, the vetting process, is she ready?, and the kids' pregnancy in regards to her political stances on abortion/sex ed/abstinence...

again, i repeat, she's only been exposed to america for 5 days. it's obvious the initial shock was beneficial to her (which it was in the first day), but then reporters dig new stuff up and these things happen.

stop complaining and man up. there remains sexism, racism... among other stuff in our country. my god, please focus on POLICIES, WHICH THE REPUBLICANS HAVEN'T FOCUSED ON at their convention.

3. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

My point is missed. :(

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

The funny thing is that the only criticism that's being considered sexist according to the quotes in this article is the one about how she should be home with her young kid instead of running for office. Of course, that criticism is mostly coming from Republican women and not coming from Democrats or other left-wingers at all -- they are complaining about her on much more solid grounds -- but don't let me spoil the party.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The most hilarious thing about saying that the attacks are sexist is that when Hillary Clinton's campaign was active and saying those things Palin said Clinton was saying things with a "sharp whine".

So when clinton complained it was whining. But when Palin does it, it's ok?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think she is neglecting her new born baby if she runs for office.......but here is the kicker, so is her husband.

It has nothing to do with sexism and everything to do with how I think a baby should be raised.

I think both she and he should be giving that baby a nice quiet environment in which he can grow.....

But, they obviously feel differently....and it is THEIR choice, but I still question it....

Not sexist, just opinionated.

DD

7. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

love the unnamed top aides. :rolleyes:

p.s. stop whining.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am not sure anyone with a newborn baby with down syndrome should be running for the highest office in the land....woman or man.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Republican hypocrisy:

<embed FlashVars='videoId=184086' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You didn't read the article. At least one was named.

P.S. she hasn't whined one time

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Everyone that is voting should watch that video.....I mean...DANG !!

DD

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I read it... 1 was named. AIDES. Maybe you didn't read my post? Thanks for trying. Wolfson turned fox news hack at the drop of a dime.

STOP WHINING

13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

If complaining about Palin's assinine stances, lack of experience, and her ever-increasing list of flaws, ethical issues, and poor speech skills is sexism, well damn - everyone of you complaining about Obama's plans are racists.

Hell, I am too. I lamblasted Obama's FISA vote. Must mean I'm racist by this logic.

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

With Hillary anything goes. With Palin it's sexist.

But to be fair, there were some other sexist comments about Palin - the hottest VP from the coolest state? We don't need to reduce her to feminine looks. How dare Biden say she's 'good looking'.

And someone called her a pitbull w/ lipstick. That is repulsive and over the line.

This really needs to end.

EDIT: Oh wait, 'hottest VP from the coolest state' was a Republican button many were wearing last night.

EDIT: Palin called herself a pitbull w/ lipstick during her speech...totally forgot until now.

The hypocrisy really needs to end.

15. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

Whats sexist is John Mccain's handling of her.

Biden was out on day 1 on meet the press, facing the fire, taking questions, supporting Obama.

Mccain has put Palin on the back of the bus so to speak, no questions from the media, no policy input, her only role is to read speeches written by George Bush speechwriters.

16. rocket3forlife2

I thought the whole Obama being arrogant thing was just stupid and kind of race related if you ask me also. Did the media talk about any other candidate being arrogant besides Obama, when just about everyone who runs to be a president has a little arrogance in them & believe they can lead?
    He is the very first Minority presidential nominee in United States history, so they will be looking to see if he has the look & the confidence to lead this nation. I saw this with Hillary; she had to prove that she could be just as powerful, strong, & tough as all of the men on stage and she got called a b**** for it.

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

go ahead and address these, IROC.

thanks!

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I love that the attack angles end up hitting their own deficiencies...Experience?...Yeah we'll belittle her there and her funny small towns...O. wait...let's not....well her speeches were applauded by CNN as "homerun" or "grandslam", we'll marginalize it was scripted...O wait,...Biden and Obama got their speeches scripted as well...(er, umm, um,...wait a minute *laughs*- Obama unscripted)

Keep trying...

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Obama writes his own speeches. Palin's was first drafted before she was even picked.

I know with 8 years of Bush, the idea of somebody writing their own speeches seems....strange, but it is possible.

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

man, top notch job of addressing the topic of the thread... really, ROXRAN, kudos!

:rolleyes:

btw, i for one never cared for her attacks on how she was "abandoning" her children. completely irrelevant to the serious issues at stake in this election - you knw, the serious issues she has yet to address once.

but this woman loves guns so we all know you already made up your mind.