1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Eastwood's Super Bowl Obama Ad

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Well, it is a Chrysler ad, but there is a lot of discussion on the political message in it.

For example:

http://decoded.nationaljournal.com/2012/02/clint-eastwood-makes-obamas-da.php

It has also been pointed out that Eastwood has said he was opposed to the bailouts of both the auto companies and the banks, so it seems strange for him to be Chrysler's paid spokesman (and right wing bloggers are not happy with him for doing it).

Your thoughts?

2. Qball

Qball Member

Here's the vid:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_PE5V4Uzobc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why did you title it 'Clint Eastwood's Super Bowl Obama Ad'. What did Obama have to do with the ad?

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

4. Major

Major Member

When I was watching it, I thought this is similar to Obama and the Democrats' election message. That said, Clint Eastwood is a pretty hardcore lifelong Republican.

5. Northside Storm

i'd bet 85% that this is planned, a quid pro quo for the bailout.

6. bnb

bnb Member

Republicans were probably thinking it was similar to the Republican message. I thought it was your usual dig down and fight football movie pep talk. With a bit o' the usual Detroit Made in America mantra.

If it resonated with you -- or your vision of America -- it worked. But I don't think it was either a Democrat or Republican message unless you wanted to read that into it.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

Why do Republicans hate America?

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

So how much of the taxpayer bailout money did it cost to make a 2 minute Superbowl add ;).

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It makes me want to go out and buy an American car, come home, and put on Unforgiven. As for the election and Eastwood's politics? I wouldn't be at all surprised if today's Republican Party scares the living hell out of him.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

on abc's sunday morning talk show, they were talking about how people are actually talking positively about Detroit again

11. Major

Major Member

Interesting - I hadn't thought of it that way! It seemed like a Dem message to me because it was about manufacturing and reviving the auto industry, which is something that Obama is going to try to take credit for. But I'd be curious if other Republicans felt it resonated with them too!

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

standard issue interpretation for you

13. weslinder

weslinder Member

I liked the ad. To me, it felt like an ad for America even more than ad for Detroit or Chrysler. It did feel weird coming from an Italian car company, but it was great.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

without obama's bailout chrysler would be dead. its pro obama and this isn't even an argument. come on guys

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

A private company is not at fault for accepting a bailout, the government is at fault for offering it. This would be Eastwood's view and most other Republicans/Libertarians. Your right-wing blogger comment is incorrect.

16. Northside Storm

Tell that to the bailout money going to the East.

Is it kind of strange that bailed out companies are making SuperBowl commercials about their revival? I'd think so, though I'd have liked the Goldman Sachs version better.

"WE ARE THE UNIVERSE. again"

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

The only reason this reads like a political ad is because it's an election year where the incumbent's argument is "things are getting better" while the opposition is that "things are as bad as ever."

Chrysler had a similar ad in last year's Superbowl but since it wasn't an election year I doubt anyone read anything political about it.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

so the only reason its misread is because it reads like one party's message and the opposite of another's? let just make clear that's your assertion

19. Amel

Amel Member

Clint Eastwood hates America!

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

You're underselling the similarity quite a bit.