1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela to RGV Vipers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 10, 2014.

1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Agreed he looks huge not as skinny as a few months ago.

2. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

We better hold on to him, when Dwight declines or leaves in 1-3 years, Capela will be a great replacement.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

when people say he is raw, what does that actually mean?

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Uncooked

1 person likes this.
  5. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

From what I see in the highlights, 14-19 field goals are all dunks . What does his five misses look like?

BTW, he does look stronger.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL... keep in mind that there is no such thing as defense in the dev league, and the team the Vipers were playing seemed to even play less defense than typical.

That said, he sure looks like he has something, and finding 7' players that can do things is hard. I'd definitely trade Jones before Capela.

btw, Whiteside sure looked better than I remember last night. Sure... garbgae time, but he is a great example of someone raw but seems to be getting it.

7. bmd

bmd Member

It means he has the physical ability and athleticism to be a great basketball player, but he lacks the skills currently.

He needs time to learn and practice to gain skills and become a more finished product.

Like raw food... it's got the potential to be a delicious meal in the future, but it just needs some time to cook.

8. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

He isn't covered in a microthin, rubber sheath.

9. vator

vator Contributing Member

You just can't teach what this kid has. That timing, size, length, dexterity, and athleticism. He can absolutely be taught the other things that he needs to know and hopefully he can pick those things up. If he is coachable, and I happen to think he is...watch out. I can see DeAndre Jordan potential here. Rebound, block shots, and dunk everything.

10. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Almost all of those points are from wide open uncontested dunks

I have high hopes for this kid- I want to see him while being guarded

11. vator

He is too good for D. League already just on his natural talents alone which is crazy. This is just like when D. Mo went down and did whatever he wanted in the post, but looked like a scrub up here. When TJ went down and was so good that all he did was run around playing point guard and shooting 3 pointers instead of working on power forward skills and Isaiah Canaan looked like a young Chris Paul. He needs to play against better competition in order to get better in my opinion.

12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Clint (aka Dirty Harry Jr) Capela, looks much more comfortable and productive than we saw before. Like many have said, he has potential, but he needs to spend this year in D-League, off-season in weight room and working with big-man coaches and then time with Dream in training camp. He still may need another year in D-league, but he's making progress and that's all you can ask for at age 20.

13. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Agreed... to an extent. I still think learning our schemes/terminology and gaining confidence is helpful to his development.

14. gah

gah Member

Bah! Whiteside has better physical tools. :p

15. vator

I can certainly see that. There are pros and cons for sure, but I just don't think he is learning how to play against actual NBA level players down there. He can just do whatever he wants and it will work just like D. Mo, Jones and Canaan did. D. Mo's post game, Jones' ball handling, and Canaan's shooting did translate to the NBA game just fine, but they were already great at those things before even going to the D. League. They just needed minutes to get comfortable doing those things at NBA level speed and against NBA level players. I think Capela's strengths are dunking, rebounding and shot blocking and I think those things will also translate just fine if given minutes and time to adjust.

I know going down gives guys the chance to play a lot and get a ton of minutes. It certainly helps their confidence. Maybe they get more comfortable playing their game against scrubs. Just not sure if they're learning how to get better on offense and actually refine their moves because they abuse inferior players or even on defense like some like to say because there really isn't much defense played in the D. League.

#555 vator, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, the D-League certainly has it's limitations. I think guards tend to learn to shoot and pass playing there, but bigs have to come back and practice in the limited time available, with the rest of the team in order to improve.

Capela needs to practice a lot in the off season, and play in the summer leagues before we can really get an idea of his future potential.

17. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Dunking, rebounding and shot blocking instincts all translate pretty well. I'd like to see them run PnR relentlessly with him to turn him into a Brandan Wright-type. He could really help us as soon as next year if he becomes really good at just that aspect of the game.

18. dmoneybangbang

That's true. However, I have a hard time believing Morey (who uses the NBA like a MLB farm system) isn't putting the infrastructure neceessary to correct and teach proper rotations and positioing.

19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

The Vipers are set up to develop 3nD guys and transition points. The big guys' development takes a back seat. They don't run a lot of plays for the big men.

Capela has got a lot of natural tools but that video didn't show a ton of basketball skills. I'd love to see him work on some back to the basket or face up stuffl, or even the ol' Carroll Dawson drop step move.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Capela just has a very nice first step, he created a lot of those open dunks by jab stepping first. He is already more polished offensively than Dorsey. No way Capela clanks one dunk, never mind multiple ones.