1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela Putting in Work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by csc177, Jul 11, 2016.

1. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

To finish my part of this back and forth... Cole Aldrich. No. And no I am not hoping he will become that, besides that lack of stamina mentioned before in this thread and others (even by Clutch in a tweet), he is already that. As evidenced by some flashes he showed last year. What I DO hope for (without you putting words in my mouth -- thanks), is consistency. And as I did say this video simply shows he is working towards that.

And even that is hopefully.

Bottom line is, it's July. Until you put the team on the floor and have proof of the product, what you or I think matters not.

I do however stick by my appreciation that your name is not Morey. Last I checked Dwight is gone. And as much as I like Dmo he cannot be our center that hits boards or is our defensive backstop. Past Dmo we now have Nene who has been known for his defensive prowess... Or not.

I will await November to see where we stand. And then I will allow Morey to make the necessary moves to improve as HE sees fit. Let me know if and when he calls you for you 2 cents.

I will sit here and wait.

2. malakas

malakas Member

Well nice to see him working hard but he shouldn't be the starting C of a team that even pretends to be a contender. For a high lottery team? Yes he could.
    He's still too weak, hackable a foul machine and doesn't have instict on how to defend the PNR.
    That's not someone u want to be a starter.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Count me in as a Capela fan. Dude is going to have a big season, starting and playing solid basketball, cutting down on the youthful mistakes. Hell, looking at the list of starters on other teams is making me feel super excited.

Doesn't need to bulk up much if at all. In a year or two, he will be the standard weight/height for a perfect NBA center, there's no point bulking him up much while the entire league feasts more and more on the less agile big men.

Right now he needs to focus mainly on technical skills (free throws) and tactical ones (defensive positioning). If he improves on his defense a tiny bit and makes 5% more of his FT's this will have been a hugely succesful season.

He is going to look good in the MDA offense, especially with Harden running the show FAST.

4. basketballholic

So you wouldn't trade Thon Maker for him!!!??????!?!?!?!!? :eek:

After making fun of me for saying I would............... C'mon sis, Capela is at least more consistent than you are. ;)

5. basketballholic

Unless Capela significantly improves this summer, Cole Aldrich is better than him defensively. Don't forget I told you this.

6. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I'm not sure why there is so much hate on Capela in this thread. We all know that he has the athletic ability to be a great defender and rebounder. That is what we need from our center; not a guy who posts up like Yao or Olajuwon. The league is changed; Capela can be a very good center for our Rockets if he continues to bulk up, play smart, and learn how to shoot FTs.

7. basketballholic

No hate. Athletic ability is not the issue.

8. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

you'd trade capela for maker??

wow...

9. basketballholic

Yes, I would. But malakas wont because she's a Bucks fan first. ;)

10. mightybosstone

Actually do the match, chief...
    10.2 points, 11 rebounds, 1.8 blocks on 56.2% shooting with a 16.5 PER and a .170 WS/48

That's literally 80 percent of DeAndre's production last season. In this market, I basically just described a big man worthy of $15 million+ a year. And frankly, that was overshooting my expectations. I'd settle for 9/9/1.5 of 55 percent shooting in 28-30 minutes a game. You're telling me he's incapable of that kind of production?

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

James Harden would trade Capela for the Thong Maker in a heartbeat.

12. mightybosstone

I haven't been an avid Clutchfans poster for very long, and usually I have enjoyed your takes. But between your Isaiah Canaan support and your questionable Capela hate, I'm beginning to question your credibility a hair. You aren't also the guy who has the odd love affair with Jarrod Uthoff, are you?

13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Why no videos of Capela passing?

14. basketballholic

80% of DeAndre's is not 80% of DeAndre. You can't quantify his defensive contributions with box score numbers. Beside 80% of DeAndre is 5'8" and 215 lbs. with a max vertical reach around 9'7". Need I go further?

These guys are much closer in talent level and basketball impact than 20%. Otherwise you put 3 top players together with scraps and you win about 6 championships back to back.

Capela probably is capable of more than 80% of DeAndre's impact. But that not nearly good enough to pass muster. Give Aldrich DeAndre's minutes playing alongside Paul and he may actually exceed DeAndre's production in the box score. So that's meaningless.

15. basketballholic

Yes. I'm all in on Uthoff. Still. He's ready to play in an NBA rotation. He's better than a rookie Parsons.

You should be able to see the fit here for Canaan. Go watch video of Eddie House in a Suns uni. It's pretty simple.

I have no hate for Capela. None at all. I just know he's not the answer for us in the middle and he has more value for us in trade than he does on the court. And we are at a critical juncture in our development with him. He's fixing to start his third season. We can't afford to take the risk of his trade value catering while his on court play languishes. Remember this is an MDA coached team. We're playing a wide open style. Our center is going to be even more exposed this year than last. Capela is basically going to be left fending against multiple opponent players invading his space simultaneously. He's going to be left on an island constantly in pick-and-roll situations. The odds are simply stacked against him succeeding in a defensive and rebounding role. And his trade value will crater just like Terrence's did during the Portland playoff series two seasons ago.

16. mightybosstone

I clearly meant 80 percent of his production. Anybody who would literally want 80 percent of his actual size would be fairly incompetent.

17. basketballholic

80% of DeAndre's production is meaningless. He's 40% from the FT line. You think 32% from the FT line is good enough?

Meaningless.

18. mightybosstone

What? 80 percent actually does have meaning. It's 80 percent. And you're completely missing my point by getting caught up on semantics. My point is that the Rockets don't need Capela to be an All-Star. They just need him to be a decent starter in terms of rebounding, rim protection and scoring efficiency. It's not rocket science, dude.

19. basketballholic

Dude you have no point. 80% of DeAndre's production is meaningless. The bulk of DeAndre's contributions come on the defensive end and 95% of that impact is not in box score production.

20. PeppermintCandy

I don't think Capela is ready to be a starter, but as the backup center, he will be helped by playing with (hopefully) more offensively minded PFs next season. Then, he can concentrate on rebounding, putbacks and all the other dirty work needed to control the paint. I hope he's up to it.

But I'm actually more worried about the defensive side of the game. He'll be asked to play gatekeeper for a group of players not known for their defense. It would be a tough assignment for even Tyson Chandler in his prime.

Also, good team defense requires excellent communication among players on the floor, and I don't get the sense that this is his strong suit. And this has more to do with personality than language ability, as Dikembe Mutombo has shown.