1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela Putting in Work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by csc177, Jul 11, 2016.

1. csc177

csc177 Member

http://youtu.be/iQ_BtGqtCmA (someone please embed)

Wanted to start a threat to discuss (1) Clint's projected impact next year without Dwight and (2) whether you guys think he's truly our answer at center for years to come...

I like the kid's hard work but he still needs to get bigger and stronger. His athleticism is amazing and I think that coupled with some strength will force the NBA to take him seriously. I have hope because I remember how skinny Yao was during his early years - yrs later Yao quietly became a monster physically.

My take? Clint will be a good rebounder shot blocker finisher (Deandre Jordan). I don't see him developing a jumper nor do I see him developing post moves.

What do you guys think?

2. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iQ_BtGqtCmA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  3. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iQ_BtGqtCmA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. 713

713 Member

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

:grin:

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't know if he can be a dwight replacement but he can continue to improve his defense he can maybe be a Steven Adams type guy for us

7. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

Better work on those free throws big fela , best of luck to him.

8. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why? Rules change coming soon.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Ironically...that would be preferable.

10. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Exactly what I was thinking lol

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Nice little jumper hes showing. It's pretty smooth not like the hitch he's showing in his freethrows.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ha good point.

But to be fair, Adams didn't average double digit anything and dwight averaged a double double

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Whatever gym or fitness company he's using needs to diversify their staff a bit.

14. basketballholic

That video showed us nothing.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Right. Adams isn't as good as Dwight, but play-style-wise, a player like Adams is where the Center position is going. I'm looking forward to seeing what Capela can do.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Must say I agree.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Post moves are mostly irrelevant in todays NBA. Pick'n'roll is everything.

Capela is good at sliding to the hoop and finishing. Does a good job on the boards on both ends, and is very solid as a rim protector. Last year he locked down the paint better than Dwight.

It isn't much of a stretch to see him as a walking double double with a couple of blocks for years to come. What more do we want from the centre position?

Honestly, Capela at C seems to be one of the more 'certain' things going into this season, good to very good defensively, doesn't get in the way on offense, provides a nice option as a finisher.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That post up exercise was worthless. Every shot Clint put up could be blocked pretty easily. They all came off so low. I'm glad he's working, but those guys aren't doing any favors for him. That might build confidence for a while during practice, but if you pull those same moves on an NBA floor, defenses will eat it up and confidence will break down the first time he's blocked. Kareem release high for a reason, it can't be blocked, Clint should too when he's practicing.

19. basketballholic

Capela has a fundamental flaw that isn't fixable. We need to trade him while he is still considered to have upside potential.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

at least showed he's got the fluidity to pull off all of those....we kind of thought he did, but during games he seems nervous to try new moves/shots...looked fine in this video.