1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela is sad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 1, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right, Rockets won't offer a 1 year balloon deal because it costs us a TON in luxury tax AND gives up our only leverage. If he wants a one year deal he'll play for his qualifying offer.

RFA is unique leverage for the team. Have to at least get two years out of him.

2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Two issues Capela has right now:

1) is he a 15-12-2 guy on another team? Is he a product of the system or does he help the system go? How much money would you want to tie up in a guy like Clint who doesn’t create his own shot at all?

And

2) he’s a restricted Free agent that the Rockets are likely to match. No one wants to tie up their salary cap for a few days waiting and miss out on other free agents.

Sanity2disChaos and D-rock like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Like i said in the cyberx thread, we really need to keep Clint with a decent enough contract from an asset stand point, this can be key in being able to get a star going forward.

We're also in a perfect position cause he has no market so, i absolutely understand the Rocekts trying to lowball here, i just hope he won't sign the qo, that could turn into a disaster.

Not sure who are the players who took the qo in the recent years, i remember Noel, Monroe, Len....outside of Len who never had any value, i think all of them ended up regretting it (edit: Monroe actually still signed a pretty big deal after he took the qo), hopefully it won't be easy for Clint to still let 50/60M on the table.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Probably wrong but, is it even possible to resign a restricted free agent for only one year? I think i heard it has to be at least two with option, maybe it was in the old cba...?

#164 Vivi, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  5. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Can confirm Capela is no longer sad.

I see it in his eyeso_O

D-rock, Stormy1234 and supastevefoo like this.
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Damn no questions about him and the rockets? Basically 4 questions about the lakers. Smfh.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Welcome to L.A. TMZ doesn't care about that stuff.

jch1911 and Stormy1234 like this.
  8. dream2franchise

Seriously. Just pay the young man.

9. justtxyank

Thanks to @The Cat

1) Morey and team told Capela he needs an offer to set the market if they expect more money?
    2) Morey and team told Capela he could seek a trade?

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Why? The Rockets need all the salary help they can get.

Let him set the market. This only turns badly if he takes the qualifying offer and we're not there yet, though that is what this might be heading towards.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I doubt Capela would have the same production if he didn't play alongside an all-star point. Since the market basically dried up, his options are limited.

Sanity2disChaos, D-rock and AB83Rules like this.
  12. Possum

Possum Member

Wonder what we could get in a sign and trade?

Stormy1234 likes this.
  13. justtxyank

I want to keep him, but if the relationship falls apart...

@steddinotayto knows someone that we could target

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]

Stormy1234 likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

ARIZA is going to make more.

16. dream2franchise

I guess that's what I fear. He's just so essential to what we do, has improved every year and done everything asked. I tire of the contract games sometimes.

17. justtxyank

I hear you but it's a rare opportunity to drive his market down. Some of the estimates had us paying him close to $25 million a year. Right now it looks like he'll be lucky to get $15 million. That $10 million is HUGE luxury tax savings.

I'm still skeptical that Tilman will pay hundreds of millions in luxury tax over the next 3 years, so to me every dollar saved is important.

18. valorita

valorita Member

If we can get Capela for 14 then
    Paul + Capela =54
    Reasonable imo

Stormy1234 likes this.
  19. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't know why people are calling on the Rockets to pay Capela. That's the job of his agent. If his agent can't even get a good-will offer from the Lakers while they're signing Rajon Rondo to $9mil then he can't be complaining when the Rockets see no other bidders and not willing to pay him top money.

Like every other RFA before him, Capela needs to get his offer or take the QO.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Rockets are playing this right no reason to overpay him when he is under club control still. He can sign an offer sheet and then the Rockets can decide if its too much or not.

D-rock likes this.