1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela is sad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 1, 2018.

1. dmoneybangbang

Definitely number 1 if that tweet's info is accurate. I would imagine Morey has considered what Capela is worth in a trade and knows it's not very likely he'll get value in return. Morey lets the market set a players' price in RFA, it's all business.

snowconeman22 and 34to11 like this.
  2. jayfree

jayfree Member

The league knows that Capela won't get the same #s outside of the Rockets system. He'd still be good on defense and rebounds but his offense would limit teams that don't have a good outside shooting presence.

I could see Clint signing a 1 year deal to be an UFA next year. But honestly, I think the Rockets would offer a fair amount for him on a 2-4 year deal (more so than any other team would)

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I definitely dont mind them allowing Capela to try to set his own market, but they would be insane not to match it at this point.

This is where it is actually okay that the Warriors got Cousins. That helps Capela become more effective in a series against the Warriors.

Last year he outplayed KAT. He outplayed Gobert. He was neutralized against GS because he couldnt outplay his matchup. With Cousins, they now have a guy he can outhustle and outplay.

34to11, bilaal14, hongxingli and 3 others like this.
  4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Capelas deal should be 3 years / 30 mill.

bilaal14 and YaoMing#1 like this.
  5. 34to11

34to11 Member

And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why your coach and GM should almost always be different people.

It's the coach's job to reward the effort and improvement of a player.
    It is the GM's job to get the best value/contract for the team.

It's great if the two objectives coalesce but that division of responsibility is crucial to maintain objectivity.

lw17, luckyman76, malakas and 3 others like this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

I bet Capela is even sadder that Cousins took that amount of money. That center price is dropping....

bilaal14 and D-rock like this.
  7. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Please let Cousins' contracts set the market value!!!

8. jayfree

jayfree Member

This is what's messed up about sports in general. A championship type team is that because of all of the pieces it has (not because of just one or two guys). A bench player could be just as crucial to winning a big game and advancing as the superstar. Problem is not everyone can be paid what they are worth to keep the team together.

I don't blame Harden and Paul for signing their contracts and getting paid, but in reality if this team wants to win big games then they have to sacrifice to be part of a winning system (and keep the role players happy on the team). You can get lucky with guys who are young or trying to rebound their career, but that's a big chance to take year after year. It starts with the top. If both Harden and Paul took $5 million less next year then the Rockets would be in a better position to pay Capela what he is worth as well as retain their other cogs and maybe add more.

Again, not putting all of the blame on our superstars, but the Rockets are gambling right now that they can keep this team together for one more year at a discounted price for the role players. Anderson is making $20.4 mill but Gordon is making $13.5 million. PJ Tucker was a huge piece for us last year making under $8 million. We have guys willing to be on this team at a discounted price so they can BE on a winning squad. Unfortunately, we needed Paul and Harden to be willing to do the same. Because they have the max, Houston is stuck with filling in spots again and hoping for the best. That means low balling Capela for another year. The best shot Houston may have this year is picking up Anthony after he is bought-out

Don't be surprised if Capela bolts as a UFA next summer though.

lw17, malakas, Why not? and 1 other person like this.
  9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I get what your saying but the reality is the market is stabilizing and returning to what it was a few years ago.

We, myself included got sidetracked with the spending of the last two off seasons.

Guys like harden and cp3 always get the max in any era and market.

Guys like Capela got the max for a 2 year stretch. It was a fluke cap jump and Clint was a year to late.

Historically Clint is a 8-12m a year player and it might be closer to 8m then 12m.

This is good for the rockets I don’t see why anyone would be mad about Clint being paid 10m instead of 25m like most thought when the season ended.

The contracts especially for centers is on a decline and Morey is a savage he’s not overpaying for anyone unless there name is Ryan Anderson or a certified superstar.

With what’s going on in golden state and los angles we have to get creative and add more talent.

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if we pull out a huge acquisition with what I’ve seen the last 2 years.

Ariza leaving and Clint prob signing for a fraction of what he thought IMO signals something were not seeing right now.

10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. It also baffles me that Clint hired an agent that had no idea about going to other teams to set the market. Clint needs to fire his agent and hire Harden's mom. It does however show that Clint does realize he belongs in this Houston team. If he leaves Houston he might just vanish. The one team that scares me is the Washington Wizards. I wonder what they would do to pick him up. He'd fit with Beal and wall..

D-rock likes this.
  11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

After Boogie signed with Golden State... those two probably just figured it is time to just get paid and call it a day!

RyanB and jayfree like this.
  12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Clint deserves more money than Ryan Anderson, but its too bad he won't get it.

13. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I have posted this before. If I am Morey, I'd call New Orleans and see if they are ready to rebuild. Anthony Davis can not be happy with losing as much as he has. If anyone is tarnishing a legacy it is AD. If Clint wants money, we can do a sign and trade and figure a way to get the brow, the brow however needs to make the first move! Demand Houston!

lw17, RyanB and ryano2009 like this.
  14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

NOLA laughs and hangs up the phone. AD is going nowhere and they are still going to be a really good team next year with him & Randle on the frontline.

Remlap, luckyman76 and malakas like this.
  15. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Man that would be a dream scenario, don't we have to sign capela prior to making S&T..?

16. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

why would they rebuild with capela instead of AD?

AD is literally only one year older lmao

malakas and ilovehtownbb like this.
  17. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I highly doubt it, losing Rondo will be crucial to them, I can barley see them making the 7th or the 8th seed

18. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Lol. Ok. NO will just trade AD after they made the second round.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Barely making the 7th or 8th seed in the West is pretty good. No they aren't a contender, but they'll still be a team you hate playing every night & AD will be an MVP candidate again.

That's good enough for NOLA to not think twice about trading him. They'll never get value back for that kind of player, and AD is probably a year away from forcing a trade with his leverage.

bilaal14 and ryano2009 like this.
  20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

How good? Honestly....better than us with room to seriously improve? Good enough to beat Warriors? What they have is good enough to keep seats in the stadium. Anthony Davis is Rotting in New Orleans! Just wasting what could be a Dream like career. Randle still needs time to develop as well...