1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela has arrived

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Garner, Apr 25, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Having extra skills always helps, despite the changes in officiating. I'm sure Hakeem or KG would have had no difficulty in adjusting to the current game. Embiid brings those extra elements to some extent. He can score in the low post without having to rely on the P/R, as well hit the jumper. Kristaps can score with the Dream Shake. Of course, he is not as good as Hakeem at it, no body can be as good as Hakeem with his assortments of moves.

2. saleem

Thanks! :)

djperm likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

extra skills would help if he was that type of player but he isn't. And he is none of those players. all he needs to do is continue to get better at who he is and not try to be a player he's not. the worst thing he can do is get away from what he does best that got him to this point and the type of player the rockets need him to be

one of the dumbest things ive ever seen was dwight howard dedicating a summer to shooting jumpers. that's was an absolute joke

4. saleem

I like what I saw on both ends of the floor. I have no problem with him on D. It's excellent, especially considering that he went up against a bigger center in KAT. I don't see him being able to execute more than the P/R, when he has limited opportunities. Let's not forget he had 8 points in Game 2, and 7 in Game 3.
    I believe he still has to prove that he can be an offensive threat against Adams. He has struggled mightily against him.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree it's the Playoffs where Stars are Born.

djperm and alcatrazpsycho like this.
  6. saleem

I never said that CC should get away from running the P/R, or spend his entire time shooting jumpers in the off season. Adding extra skills will increase his confidence, and make him a better player.

djperm, hakeem94 and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This was easily foreseeable.

Once Capela became a target of Basketballholic, it was pretty much guaranteed, he was going to have a monster year.

justtxyank and hakeem94 like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

personally i think his confidence will get better just naturally by continuing to do exactly what he does now and improving those aspects in itself. its already at a high level as is

djperm and hakeem94 like this.
  9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Fortunately everyone seems to think he's only good cause he plays with Harden and CP3. May shave off a few mil on his contract.

djperm and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

this dude pulls off a new trick nearly every game. that up and under move, finish with the off hand on the wrong side was very impressive! (on an all-nba defender to boot!)

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Capela isn't really doing anything he hasn't been doing all year.

His rebound rate is up a little, but his scoring, blocks, and shooting numbers are all pretty much the same. But it is the playoffs, and he is being asked to do it over a few more minutes. So far he is proving more than up to the task. In winning time yesterday, not only was he not gassed, he was beating everybody to the rim.

I would be more surprised if he just started playing well out of nowhere, but his career so far has been a pretty steady trajectory, and we've seen this guy all year.

hajkov, djperm and hakeem94 like this.
  12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Capela has improved mainly in 2 areas
    - Stamina, he's out there hustling and guarding KAT for 30+ minus without getting gassed
    - Adding Eurostep to face up, which greatly helps when rolling to the basket of PNR

13. alcatrazpsycho

Scary thought: imagine Rick the ruler had been coach during Capela’s rookie year...

Capela might have pulled a V-Span, return to Europe, and we would never have known his potential... :eek::eek::eek:

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS

alcatrazpsycho likes this.
  15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

V-Span ran back to Europe with his tail between his legs because he couldn't stand being JAG in the NBA. Overseas, the man was a big fish in a tiny pond. In the NBA, he was a nobody, a guppy in an ocean full of sharks. Capela on the hand, has big brass balls.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Clint had a monster series. Played great defense on a tough matchup, owned the boards, and finished everything. Sure, he benefits from playing next to Harden and CP3. But it would be much harder on them to generate offense if Nene or Black were in the game instead, so they clearly benefit from Clint as well.

17. Garner

Garner Member

Exactly this.

....oh, and he's 23