1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela has arrived

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Garner, Apr 25, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't want to be a grammar corrector, but the spelling is Capela.

hakeem94 and alcatrazpsycho like this.
  2. saleem

My feeling is that Clint will bring it against Gobert, but not against Adams.

3. saleem

Capela showed improved low post scoring, which was very welcome.
    He still has a long way to go. This off season is a very important one for him. Working with Hakeem and KG can help him to reach the next level, provided if he puts in a solid effort on both ends every day. Adding a jumper plus finishing low post moves,
    and better FT's is a must. He mustn't be afraid of physical contact.
    I want to see him making more progress before a new contract is offered to him. Go Clint! Go Houston Rockets!

Addendum: I meant a 15-20 foot jumper, not a 3 point shot. Capela showed some mid-range ability, while he was in the D-League. If he develops that, it should be used sparingly. Better low post footwork and finishing, along with the ability to draw
    a foul, and increase FT shooting percentages is what I would like to see more of. His defense and rebounding is fine.

#63 saleem, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    djperm, hakeem94 and waytookrzy079 like this.
  4. antdrewjosh

antdrewjosh Member

I think Capela has the chance to be a post up player. He has the footwork and he has a nice touch around the rim. Ive seen him grab rebounds and use his foot work to get shots up.

djperm and hakeem94 like this.
  5. saleem

Harden and Chris help his scoring a lot, but he has shown that he can anchor the defense at the center spot. Clint needs to improve against bigger guys like Adams and to some extent against Gobert.

djperm, hakeem94 and waytookrzy079 like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

he doesn't need to add any of that. those are far from a must. thats not what this team needs him for and definitely not this era of basketball. ft's are definitely prioritized though

djperm and hakeem94 like this.
  7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The Hakeem comparisons by Bill and the bunch were spot on.

Nuff said

alcatrazpsycho likes this.
  8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

quite honestly everyone speaks of guys like Harden or Paul stepping up their game to another level in the playoffs, but Clint so far has elevated his game the most defensively. His offense will vary based on how the guards play since majority of his buckets are off of feeds from others inside, but thats fine that is his role. His activity on the glass on both ends of the court and his defensive presence in the middle has just been outstanding. Honestly this is what I believe the front office was envisioning when they signed Dwight. While Clint is not near Dwight's level in terms of paint presence defensively, he has made huge strides to narrow the gap (I am taking about the Dwight that was in Houston not prime Dwight which Capela will never touch IMO) He challenging shots without fouling, blocking shots and just grabbing rebounds that aren't necessarily in his space. His energy is just through the roof. He completely outplayed KAT the entire series and that was the biggest difference in a series where the rest of the rockets role players played poorly overall.

He is going to cash in this off season and he deserves it.

djperm, Deuce, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He has a long way to go?

What do you want. He just out played a number one pick center that plays like a first pick center for the series

For all the people who say his scoring is inflated due to playing with Harden and Paul, Paul last night said Capela opens things up for them on the pick and roll.

He has a lot of Hakeem's athleticism. Quickness to the rim, you have to keep a body on him and it still isn't enough

10. Garner

Garner Member

I'm not sure how you can say that Capela didn't impose his will on the game? Capela was hustling more than any other guy on the court. He shot 12-14 from the field, swallowed up every single rebound, and, as you said, outplayed KAT again.

You're right, he does need to be fed, but he's the perfect tool for Harden. And as a result of his dominate paint performance, he sucks in defenders freeing up our sharpshooters from deep.

People are downplaying Capela's impact far too much because he doesn't create his own shot.

11. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

What is making Capela an awesome player to watch and a future all-star is exactly what concerned me at first about him: his conditioning.

The talent had always been there, but all his running & jumping around made him run out of gas quickly.
    Now he has been doing it for nearly 30 min/game and felling like everything is just fine.

Lots of points, rebounds, alley-ops, blocks and wins.

Thanks, Keith!
    [​IMG]

djperm likes this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

What's Nerlens Noel up to these days?

13. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Not trying to down play Capela's impact or value to this team at all (again, my bad if that's how it's coming off), but to say he "carried the team" as you put in your OP, i just dont agree with. If you feel differently, that's cool. Not trying to start crap just cuz we disagree :)

Garner likes this.
  14. solid

solid Contributing Member

Capela, my fella! Love this kid. Great leaping ability, very coordinated, tremendous lateral movement. His basketball skills are developing. He is very young and will get bigger and stronger.

djperm likes this.
  15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I use to joke about how Capela was easily dislodged and played like he was in a Wind Storm of some sort because people easily dislodged him from position which isn't the case anymore. I think he's strong enough as is and doesn't need to add muscle mass but rather more skill set.

djperm likes this.
  16. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't want to be a vocabulary corrector, but the word is spelling and not grammar.
    :D

djperm and saleem like this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Contract year

18. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Capela working with Dream, McHale, D12 has helped shape his big man game. What a great draft pick.

djperm likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

djperm likes this.
  20. Garner

Garner Member

Ha, you play too nice! I think we are likely agreeing more than disagreeing.

I do think he carried the team. as in, he was the most impactful player. Obviously, he doesn't have the type of production without Harden/Paul, but i think the value between harden/capela is reciprocated.

Capela finishing every crazy harden pass really pads those harden numbers too.

djperm and waytookrzy079 like this.