1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela has arrived

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Garner, Apr 25, 2018.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've had harsh criticism for Clint quite often, but what he did in the 1st round is exactly what the Rockets need. In addition to bringing 16/14, he averaged over 31 mins/game!

For me, averaging 30+ mins was the final hurdle for Clint. It's proves he's not disappearing (because D'Antoni yanks him when that happens). Wouldn't hurt if he also improved the FT shooting.

I know he benefits by playing with two of the best creators in the NBA, but they make him a game-changing offensive weapon defenses must account for.

Gotta wait until after the playoffs are over, but I'm close to believing the Rockets must re-sign him long term no matter which UFA they want this summer.

Whether it's Rudy Gobert or Steven Adams, we get another opportunity to judge Clint next round. Looking forward to it.

2. Garner

Garner Member

Yea, no ****. Not every player is Kevin Durant.

Before everyone became a freak of nature, there was a thing called a Center. Clint Capela is a really good one of those.

ElDobleK likes this.
  3. alcatrazpsycho

Dwight is probably too dumb to realize just how dumb he is. I love the fact that every team Dwight left behind are now terrible-to-mediocre at best, and all missed the playoffs. Ego justified, right? Well - not so fast - except for the Rockets, #1 in the league, thank you very much.

He's definitely hungry, and I hope the big-big money won't corrupt him. But my point is, there are so many posters here who act like Clint is one of Morey's Kevin Martin era "assets". He's the only guy on the roster (besides Onuaku and Qi) to be drafted by the Rockets. You'd think home-grown talent like that would get more love!

Rocket River, adw and D-rock like this.
  4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

5. alcatrazpsycho

True. He embraces his role, plays to his strengths, and does what is best for the team. But at the same time, thinking long term, based on what he's showed us so far in his development, I think his game and role on the team will continue to evolve. As Harden ages and slows down, hoping Clint will continue to improve and compensate accordingly. Never settle, big fella!

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Really?

Jeff Teague??

Wouldn't it be more like Jimmy Butler matching Harden in every statistical category in all 5 games?
    Capela is a double double on the season, top 10 in FG% rebounds shot blocking (etc). He's not a scrub...

Fullcourt and Red Chocolate like this.
  7. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Sorry not really sure what you’re getting at.

Either way, I’m not arguing that he’s not a good center. He’s a great modern day center and a perfect fit for this team. My opinion is that he did not carry them tonight.

When I think of “carrying” a team, I think of a player imposing his will (Harden in game 1 or Lebron and Westbrook tonight). Capela doesn’t do that. Majority of his points come off an assist from Harden/CP or off offensive rebounds.

But I will say that he completely outplayed KAT this series.

saleem likes this.
  8. alcatrazpsycho

Clint Capela getting the Rodney Dangerfield treatment... *sigh*

(1) Let's not forget that Capela wouldn't have been on the team his rookie year if he didn't "impose his will"...

(2) Yes, Harden/CP3 fuel Capela, like gasoline/air fuel an internal combustion engine. Remove the engine and the car won't go. It's a team sport - why is this "carrying" thing even relevant? LOL.

BigMaloe, jayydela, ElDobleK and 2 others like this.
  9. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Harden/Paul make Cap great. Cap makes Harden/Paul's life easier.

Not a question of who is better in absolute terms, but that they both benefit greatly by working together to make more possibilities for the defense to consider and defend.

And, luckily, we fans finally get to see something that seems more consistently potent at a higher production level.

Yay for us.

10. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Hahah..

Man I’m really sounding like a Capela hater. My bad, not my intention.

Brought up “carrying the team” cuz OP said that’s what Capela did tonight. I just disagree with his comment, and agree with your 2nd point. Regarding your 1st point.. touché... forgot abt that.

Lawlruschang and alcatrazpsycho like this.
  11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Cap did well and was probably the most consistent this series but KAT is a soft center. I wouldn't expect to see the same results against an Adams or Gobert next round.

saleem and Lawlruschang like this.
  12. alcatrazpsycho

Haha, nah - I totally get what you're saying. Clint ain't Superman. (But that's a good thing, right??)

And now I have a new avatar. I got yo back, Clint!

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  13. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Yeah but, he's no Nerlens Noel or Hassan Whiteside. /s

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ouch... (Or Cole Aldrich)

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Clint feeds on cookies and pancakes those great PGs left like non.

#55 daywalker02, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    djperm and Invisible Fan like this.
  16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yes, he had. But .. But the Dantoni system also benefits him greatly. Image him in the Thibs system. Dare I to say image we have a big man that can shoot and post up. Oh my. He needs to work on his shooting this summer to be at the next level.

17. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Exactly. We won and here some posters bicker about who carried the bigger load. The TEAM won, because each player did his job good enough.

djperm and Invisible Fan like this.
  18. the shark

the shark Member

Clint played fantastic this series.

My concern as we get deeper in the playoffs is that teams will start fouling him at crunch time (last four minutes of the game). One of the weakest links of this team is CC FT shooting. If he's not making his FT (or making 1 of 2) they'll have to pull him as you can't trade one FT for two (especially at crunch time). If they have to pull him that also opens the paint, and would also limit their defensive rotations.

19. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Capela vs Gobert, they are like real best childhood french friends.

djperm likes this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

Way to go, Glenn Frey. You could've signed Rod Tidwell to a mutli-year extension for peanuts, but you waited until his big breakout. Now you'll have to shell out the big bucks.

#60 topfive, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018