1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela field goal watch

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joeson332, Jan 28, 2015.

1. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

just take him out the game the last few minutes of games. If he can produce those kinda numbers in ration to minutes I'll take it

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

He looked good tonight...

Six-year, $42,000,000 contract extension?

Signed Kelvin Cato

joeson332 likes this.
  3. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

Thats Kelvin Cato money. I remember thinking he was the next coming of Hakeem thus my choosing his name as my username(Stevie Franchise was taken). :)

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

> First game playing significant minutes.
    > Playing in a raucous AWAY arena.
    > Dude was amped up after sick dunks, playing good defense and showing out.

You need to relax.

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don't see how this guy can be any better than a Sam dalembert in his prime. Which is actually pretty good, especially for a back up center. But he'll never develop an offensive game besides dunks. Then again it seems to work for deandre Jordan. So maybe he can be better.

joeson332 likes this.
  6. brooksstephens

Just looked it up and he shot near 60% in the D-League, which is still bad but good enough. Need to see some improvement in that area soon or else any competent opposing coach would start hack-a-cap at ANY point in the game if they find themselves in a hole.

But yes it was encouraging that this time he was able to make an impact at the things he is good at. Hopefully he can show some progression.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i remember in kj's first game he had 4 mins and 0-2fgs. someone kept saying he sucks and used that game as proof. are you that same guy? :grin:

8. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

It's similar to Andre Drummond. Yeah, he can't shoot FT, but he's too athletic to foul before he dunks on people.

9. brooksstephens

Wasn't me, but KJ's been a dreadful shooter all season so I can understand if anybody isn't in love with him as a prospect. Like Capela, he's freaky-athletic, but that's about all he's shown. Great defensive potential, but guys like KJ won't don much in the League without a jump shot.

I'm happy that Capela flashed some rebounding potential tonight, but I just don't want another Stromile Swift. I feel like people are over-reacting to his impressive dunks.

Like I said, he was an almost-decent FT shooter in the NBDL, so hopefully we see some improvement in that area and he COULD become a legitimate backup C for us next year, which would be huge. I just still think he needs some time.

10. bmd

bmd Member

You should be a scout.

11. brooksstephens

Yeah I overreacted when I said "not interested". Just struck a nerve with me when I saw that 0-8. I guess Yao has ruined me when it comes to C's.

I don't want to give up on him and I see that he's capable of shooting FT's well enough to keep em honest, I just think we need to see some development in order for him to be a guy we can rely on in a playoff scenario.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I loved it when he got that first FG.

DD

13. vator

vator Contributing Member

Some people were crying over Whiteside and some people were throwing a tantrum over Javale McGee, but we've had a guy on our minor league team all along with a similar skillset and as far as we know, less crazy. He has always been able to rebound and block shots. He has always been able to play pick and roll and catch lobs for dunks. He needed to play and get comfortable. Learn from his mistakes on the court. The only thing that surprised me was that he was strong enough to bang with big JV though. I'm sure they have improved his strength since coming over, but watching him not get outmuscled and fall to the floor from a much bigger and stronger man was a plus and has me stoked. He has more filling out to do and will get a lot stronger in the future. That will be scary.

14. solodolo

solodolo Member

20 years old :eek:

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He worked hard and played with energy, instead of only relying on his athletic ability. That was the most encouraging part of his performance for me. Hopefully his free throwing will improve with time.

16. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

LOL . . . me too

17. #TheBeard

#TheBeard Member

Anyone know anything about his groin?? read somewhere that he has a degenerative groin issue, worried about that. otherwise if he's not 100% and he's that athletic he's a monster.

18. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Give him more playing time!! No more midgeting around..

joeson332 likes this.
  19. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

LOVED what I saw. Complete 180 from the timid rookie we saw in his first few appearances.

Glad Capela got the FG out of the way (in a BIG way). Looks like the the field goal watch has now turned into the free throw watch.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Questions for those that have seen him in the D-League. Can Capela make a layup with either hand?