1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela 21 years old with potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by peleincubus, Nov 8, 2015.

1. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Young Gene and Bill with a few of the calls on that first video, sounded like they were broadcasting together--awesome!

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He needs a basic post game that would work on smaller players, but that shouldn't be that much of a priority. Working on communication on defense, working on defensive positioning, working on man to man defense, and shooting should be his priorities. In other words, improve his strength, defense while adding shooting to diversify his offense after a screen.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL then you're nuts. Guy like De Andre Jordan are making 20M these days, you want to get rid of a guy who looks way better?

Capela is amazing not just because of his defensive presence, production, work ethic and 100% healthy body, he also has high bball IQ and decent hands for a big man. You can find defensive bigs like Omer Asik or Jordan for the right price but most of those guys have stone hands or have like 10 brain cells...in the case Jordan you have both those issues! Just right now if you give him minutes he's gonna give you the typical 10M center production, when he's 23-24 I thkn he gives you superstar production already so anybody who wants to trade him now is gonna regret it 4 years down the road when he's the franchise guy of some other team and the Rox have Dwight on the decline.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You rarely need a post game in this era of the NBA. He should definitely develop one, but it's not going to hold him back from being a legit starter on a contender. Just develop a jump hook with both hands, add a little bit more muscle and he's ready.

If he develops a post game we're talking superstar.

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This is a good point. Given current skills and enough pt, Capela would be a double-double machine. If he can add a couple of moves each year while getting better at the defensive end, by age 25, this guy will be a freaking monster.

Most of these centers are good at weak side blocking. Capela's length and exquisite timing allow him to outright block the guy in front of him.

Right now, the pecking order for a trade demand among our young bigs is Capela, D-Mo and Jones.

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

If Capela continues to progress he will be one of the best assets in the league. A really good center on an "old cap" rookie deal when the cap rises will be insanely valuable.

7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dyl_LGfCGRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NBA PER Leaders:
    11. Wade: 27.1
    12. Rubio: 26.9
    13. Jimmy Butler: 26.6
    14. Horford: 26.1
    15. Capela: 25.7
    <a href="https://t.co/Xn7KwP9N1R">https://t.co/Xn7KwP9N1R</a></p>&mdash; RealGM (@RealGM) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/663775372308185088">November 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Great postmanship (PhiSlamma and Hey Partner) by the both you. Learning to agree while disagreeing. I learned from both of you today on how to post effectively.

Thank you.

10. dje243

dje243 Member

Granted these are only highlights... but the comparison is valid. Not saying he'll do what Hakeem did, but I think he's got the tools to come close. Crazy reach and athleticism, good hands and foot speed... Capela may be more than just a role player down the road.

11. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

between McHale, the Dream, and DMo, Capela is bound to pick up a few things. He's been working on his jumper since he got in the league, i remember a Dayrell Mowrie tweet about "stretching him out" early last year, maybe even in training camp

12. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

lol at the dude saying we need to get Moses up in here

13. GMNot

GMNot Member

HcHale was complementing Capela on his work ethic last season. I think it is safe to assume, barring injury, that Capela will reach his potential. His impressive rate of progress is due to that work ethic and athletic ability. His speed and reaction time are above average.

I don't know if there are any circumstances where I would trade him.

What is needed, ASAP, is to get D-Mo back on the court and in the mix. I'm just concerned that "back" issues are a susceptibility that can haunt one throughout a career.

14. linkz1993

linkz1993 Member

wow :grin:

15. jdhu

jdhu Member

Holy crap Olajuwon was smooth, AND powerful. I started watching the Rockets after he was already more of a "finesse" player.

16. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Where da Capela highlights at from SAC or LAC games?

17. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Oops, didn't realize it had been bumped with a SAC reel, nice

18. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Capella is mark Eaton compared to Hakeem. That's not a knock on Capella. It's a statement about Hakeem's impossible combination of strength, athleticism, blinding quickness and speed, uncanny balance, and innate feel for the game. Only SFs and SGs should attempt any of the moves Hakeem made. He would initiate a post move while in the air catching an entry pass.

Capella is far better served learning Ibakas jumper, mchales up n under, Deke's hook shot. Trying to do it like Hakeem is dumb because nobody has that footwork, balance and speed.

Capella isn't near Hakeem's level when it comes to vertical, rebounding instinct, quickness to the rebound or shot block. Capella is an uber mortal, Hakeem was a demigod. This ain't an old man talking about the old days, it's just fact. The highlights don't lie.

Capella is very very good and with good health will become a legit center and potential all star. But the Hakeem talk is counterproductive and unfair to Capella.

1 person likes this.
  19. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Clint is also 13th in the league in blocked shots per game.

He's the only player within the top 20 to be averaging less than 20 minutes per game..

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Now that we have given plenty of accolades towards Capela, has anybody figured out why a young player who is fit has stamina issues?