1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela 21 years old with potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by peleincubus, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He does reminds me of Dream, not at 21 but more like his freshman year at UH.

Capela now is more mature than Akeem then. Akeem already had a turn around jumper by the end of his second year. The footwork came after he turned pro.

I said it before. What impressed me about Capela was his natural feel of the game. I have no doubt that he will be a great D&R big man. What remains to be seen is whether he has a good shooting touch.

2. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Capela,Thornton,Lawson...Morey's version of Grand Auto Theft

3. dmoneybangbang

This season, Capela just needs to work on his bball IQ and awareness (aka staying in the game by not fouling and missing too many assignments).

I see a Deke 2.0 in this kid, which is not a bad thing at all.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And his quick improvement. Talking about Badiane was just silly back in the day. Talking about Capela is real.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

forgive me for reposting this request.

6. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Jonathan Feigen ✔ @Jonathan_Feigen
    Rockets waive Chuck Hayes, per source.

7. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Jonathan Feigen ✔ @Jonathan_Feigen
    Hayes stay was always expected to be short term, filling in while Rockets shorthanded.

8. dmoneybangbang

Hopefully we'll see Hayes on the bench again as an assistant defensive coach.

9. jdhu

jdhu Member

Capela makes me feel REALLY good about the Rockets' future (assuming they can keep him).

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm excited as hell about Clint Capela. I keep hearing about how he reminds of the rookie Akeem. I'm not gonna tell you what to think but here is Dreams rookie highlights.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OSHwPJTgpPw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PHM_Ko9clmI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Just quoting this again for truth. Hakeem came into the league and averaged 21ppg. You can't do that without having an offensive arsenal. Sure, he developed it each year, but he certainly started with weapons in his kit bag.

I agree with the guy who says Capela reminds him more of Deke.

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

There are similarities between the two. Clint isn't as good as Hakeem was, and it's unlikely he will ever achieve what Hakeem did as a player. But, there are similarities.

Clint came into the league at a younger age than Hakeem. He also didn't play in a top college program for three years like Hakeem. Clint, in my opinion, isn't as athletic or as strong as Hakeem. But, I believe Clint has a good chance to develop some of Hakeem's low post moves, if he works with Hakeem.

I don't think it's fair to compare Clint to Hakeem when Hakeem was an NBA rookie. Compare Clint to Hakeem when Hakeem was a freshman at UH. Clint is just very raw. He has yet to develop the low post game that I think he may be capable of. He does appear to be kind of a cross between Hakeem and Deke. He looks kind of like Deke running up and down the court. But I think he is more like Hakeem in size and quickness.

The most exciting thing about Clint, is that we just don't know what he will become. Look at Hassan Whitside. It took him like five years to figure things out. It may be years before Clint becomes what he will become.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am not trolling at all. I don't want to move Capela, but if we lose Dwight God forbid due to an injury, we may need Cousins as a replacement despite his baggage.

14. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

What does our gm say about him that you can pass along (I asked bc you've passed along info re jones)?

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Capela is definitely showing some good stuff especially at his young age. I hope we can keep him beyond his rookie contract so he can step in when Dwight declines/stops playing for us.

He needs to get stronger with the ball but if that's the only bad thing I can say about him he's doing pretty damn good.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Capela is doing well, but please Hakeem level? It is not even close.

Get Clint in the gym with a player like Moses for a few summers and teach him a post game - but Hakeem level - no no no.

Happy we got him, but lets keep it real.

DD

17. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

How about with a player like Dream?

18. AFS

AFS Member

Or, ya know, Kevin McHale.

19. vator

vator Contributing Member

Wait...I thought he was a year away from being a year away. To think some people here wanted to cut him to keep Jeff Adrien.

I said last year when he was in the minor leagues and even after his very brief and nervous looking stint where he failed to impress that he had more potential than Jones and DMo to be a very good player. All he needed to do at this early stage was rebound, block shots, and dunk which are all strengths of his. This guy has some very impressive physical tools to work with and build upon. His speed, footwork, and agility are quite frankly off the charts. He is a serious threat in the pick and roll and is a natural rebounder and shot blocker...things you can't really teach. You don't see many centers that can move the way he does. If he can continue to add more strength and power he will be an Allstar caliber player and this is WITHOUT even improving and building on his offensive skills. A stronger Clint is scary all by itself. Now imagine him actually adding a few moves or a face up jumper. He has a pretty soft touch on his shot already when you compare him to guys like D. Jordan and Whiteside. Hopefully he has the drive and work ethic to reach his full potential.

#79 vator, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  20. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Capela is still very raw which I think is pretty clear. It's up to him if he develops and becomes a star. He's got the things you cannot teach, height, length, athleticism, and defensive awareness. You can teach post moves and a jump shot.