1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela...$12 million man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 7, 2018.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Hell, that would be a bargain. I thought he could command 20+ mil if the salaries from a couple offseasons ago were to become the norm. He's young though, so he'll get a chance to sign another big extension in another 3-4 years.

2. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Yeah they'll probably try to give him the max lol

3. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

3yr/36mil was my prediction in the other thread. I would be thrilled to get him on that type of deal. Anything above 15 per yr is a little rich for my blood. Capela is a helluva player though so I wouldn't be too disappointed about paying him more.

Also, I'm a little tired of people saying that Harden spoon feeds Capela all of his points. Sure, a lot of them do come from the lob, but he has put in a ton of work and is much better than that spoon feeding statement indicates. I love the fact that he is confident and skilled enough to get his own shot when he catches the ball and a defender is in front of him. We also shouldn't over look his ability to move his feet to well enough to defend guards. His defensive ability on the perimeter is not something that a lot of Centers can accomplish and is invaluable against teams like... well, you know...

ico4498, CapelaOnlyFan and Houstunna like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One of the things I like seeing from Clint is his increased endurance. The last 12 games, he's averaged just under 30 minutes a game. Clint's slowly bumping up his minutes. For the season, the guy's averaging a double-double, 60% from the line, and has only fouled out once. Another instance of Morey looking like a genius.

ElDobleK, vinsensual, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Minimum 15 -16.....

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

anything less than 20 has been ideal for Capela. Im expecting ~$15mil per. Nothing close to max

RasaqBoi likes this.
  7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

If that is the case, that value is high. It is usually more a low supply of centers, driving up their price, with multiple teams therefore needing one. But your synopsis is probably correct, as Nerlens Noel found out last year.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's true though. Just look at how DeAndre FG% dropped this season without CP3 feeding him the ball. You can probably expect the same for Clint without Harden, as today at least.

Look, i love Clint and hope he stays here as much as possible. But he's still not able to create his own realiable shot, and while he's solid/good, he's not Rudy Gobert or prime Dwight/Marc Gasol on defense. Also still kinda weak (i won't say soft even though might not be a wrong term i suppose) and gets pushed around a bit in some situations. He has still work to do, but i agree with you on this, he's a hard worker, that's a big reason why i like him and i don't see a reason to swap him for DeAndre.

DM'sVP likes this.
  9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

While this is mostly true, Clint has truly improved his game and I can see him developing a decent post/attack game even if he doesn't have all star PG's passing to him. Would still need above average PG's to elevate his game but I have been impressed with his ability to get to the basket lately.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

that actually lowers the value. pick and roll centers aren't that rare. Couple that with small ball being a big part of the game in this era, the price for a pick and roll center isn't as valuable as years past. But when you find one like a capela that has a high iq and work ethic, hell get a good contract but it wont be max.

11. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Have been saying this on this fourm!

What a time. Thank you God for letting Clint become a FA next year!! Muahahahha.

I know he is getting something between $12-$14mil. Totally worth it at that rate.

12. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

Offer Clint studio time to record his Acapela album, he has a beautiful voice , voice of a banshee

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

You get the general sense that Clint would be ecstatic to stay with us as well.

I feel like he wouldn’t sign an offer sheet somewhere else that’s only a few million more than what we would offer.

Like Mavs 18m vs our 15m per.

Newlin and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

Man Capella loves Houston so much he will take whatever deal Houston brings to him I think he is a winner and he knows he can be part of something special and I think Tilman will match any offer out there expect the rockets to be in the luxury tax this year we gave something special here and Capella will be part of it

15. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

OK, OK I'm not saying that his numbers wouldn't go down without Harden. All I'm saying is that Harden does not completely make him as a player and making a statement like he gets all of his points spoon feed to him is not accurate. It diminishes his very important role on the team and makes him out to be an idiot that can just jump, catch and dunk. We (as fans) will be lucky to have him around next year bc without him this team would be nowhere near where it is now.

Vivi likes this.
  16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I think Capela is a bit more reliable and creative on offense than Deandre. DJ isn't doing Euro steps and driving from the free throw line. I've been extremely impressed at how Capela has expanded his game beyond cuts to the rim and alley oops. He's actually got good touch on his hook shots too. I wish he played stronger post defense, but when teams post up that kind of plays into our gameplan anyway so I can live with it.

ElDobleK and arabrocket like this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agreed, he does have some moves that DeAndre will never be able to do, on the other hand DeAndre goes up and finishes much stronger than Clint.

I was just saying that as today, his offensive skillset is still not good/reliable enough to seriously consider his offense, no team would give him the ball intentionally to score. I do think he might be able to get there though.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

If we can get Capella at $15 million (reducing the future tax hit), then maybe we can keep Ryno and put together a different trade package for a LeBron opt in trade (like the CP3 trade). It would take the salaries of Gordon, Tucker, Nene, Troy Williams, Onuaku and Joe Chee. Plus we need to add one more salary in the next couple of days that runs into 2019 to get to 75% of LeBron's opt in price. For example, trade Black for a player with a contract ending in 2019.

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

You're right, no team would give him the ball as a scoring option right now. He just doesn't have the skillset. I think he has the potential to be a Hassan Whiteside level option though, even if that hurts his overall efficiency.

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You should go ask Chuck how that went for him...

[​IMG]