1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Climate-Related Disasters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

They killed McKinney!

Yung-T and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Those buoys aren't use for accurate scientific measurements, there's too much interference that can happen.

Regardless, anything in that vicinity is horrible for coral and the sealife.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

left without comment…

Yung-T likes this.
  4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Like a phoenix rising from Arizona, flying directly into an incinerator.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Man, they're not kidding. I live right by there, and it's damn hot. lol.

Yung-T, Ubiquitin and TexasTofu like this.
  7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You have to think that at some point people will figure out that the great lakes are probably the best place to live around with climate change looming. And there's so much affordable real estate around the lakes because all of the major cities were hit by rust belt de-industrialization (with the exception of Chicago and Toronto). It isn't even crossing 80 degrees here. And you have to figure that this will only become more common over time.

Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  10. Xerobull

Check the risk map before you buy. It agrees with your theory: https://coastal.climatecentral.org/...le&refresh=true&water_level=3.0&water_unit=ft

B-Bob likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's 94 here in Minneapolis. This has been more than 20 days this summer that we've crossed the 90's.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So if someone lives just south of the OR-CA border, they can feel fine or nah?

Yung-T likes this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What are the winters like?

14. Xerobull

[​IMG]

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Balmy

16. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Yikes. I dont even think we've had a 90 degree day this year. Its not going to even cross 80 degrees for the next week. Great Lakes weather moderation is pretty amazing in my opinion. The winters here are warmer than Minneapolis and the Summers are cooler. Some places do get really bad lake effect snow but it really only affects certain cities.

Perfectly fine if you ask me. Winter is what you make of it. I do make it a point to take up winter activities and go outside. When I lived in Minneapolis, I used to walk 15 minutes each way to the bus even when it was sub-zero. A lot of it is just wearing proper clothes and layering.

I'll take cold winters over Houston's summers every time. I'm done with flooding and scorching summers.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

They are still brutal. I have good friends in Duluth, and some other good friends in rural, western Michigan, right on lake Michigan, and both of them send weather updates and forbid us from visiting them in the winter. They hunker down and fight off depression in the dark cold, basically, and risk frostbite when clearing snow, getting groceries, etc. They learn to deal with it, and they love their other seasons, but these folks say the winters are too long and they can't really imagine growing old in these places.

Otherwise, I would be super tempted. If you visit these places in spring, they're pretty amazing! I love rural Michigan in particular, despite feeling like I could get kidnapped and killed by fringe political groups because of my city-slicker eyewear.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Figured I'd share this here but I've been pretty happy with my additions of these U-shaped window units from Midea. A good bit quieter than a regular window unit and they are rated 15 seer so they are relatively efficient. It's wild but this redesign of the window unit was only developed 3 years ago....kind of absurd that nothing has really changed with them over the decades that they have existed.

edit....the stupid forum isn't displaying the amazon link and it won't let me paste the url because it automatically tries to encode it as amazon media....
    Midea 8,000 BTU U-Shaped Smart Inverter Window Air Conditioner

The 8k btu is sufficient to cool a bedroom and the 12k btu is a bit more powerful. I think the 8k btu is probably fine to go with if you want to add on some extra AC.

I've installed a mini split AC (almost all by myself) run by solar and a battery backup. It's definitely quieter and less noticeable than the window unit but much more involved to DIY install and can be costly if you actually have to get an AC tech to install it. Whenever I decide to build out on my land I'll probably just go with mini splits over central air due to the efficiency of the units and you aren't wasting AC in rooms you aren't using.

Anyhow, if you want to add on some cheap, efficient, newer tech AC then I'd go with that. You can control it or a group of ACs with an app on your phone. Hopefully they can keep moving forward with more simple changes and add some efficient heating.

Xerobull likes this.
  20. Xerobull

My buddy who is OCD about everything and researched window units for a year settled on this one and loves it.

Another friend of mine who built a barndominium went all split units loves it and tells me his electric bills are super low. Not only that, he can blast the AC at night and not have to cool his entire house.

robbie380 likes this.