1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Climate-Related Disasters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Jun 5, 2023.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I suspect that is the goal. Hopefully the thread stays here.

Deckard likes this.
  2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

https://www.clickorlando.com/weathe...temperatures-threatening-floridas-coral-reef/

Record warm ocean temperatures threaten Florida’s coral reef
    El Niño, climate change fueling ocean heat

ORLANDO, Fla. – The Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico are on fire. When it comes to Florida’s coral reefs, it’s not just that the water temperatures are blazing hot, it’s about how early the heat has come.

“Given that 70% of Florida’s coral reef is already net erosional, I’d say that I’m very concerned about the future of Florida’s corals,” said Dr. Derek Manzello, coordinator of NOAA’s Coral Reef Watch program.

Ocean temperatures off the coast of Southwest Florida and the Florida Keys are the hottest they have ever been in the satellite era this early in the year. The satellite era began in the 1960s.

Water temperatures have surged into the mid-to-upper 90s in the Florida Keys over the past few days...

...bleaching is the breakdown in the symbiotic relationship between the coral animal host and its algal symbionts.

“A bleached coral is essentially starving to death because it has lost its main source of nutrition, the algal symbionts,” said Manzello. “The damage that corals experience from marine heatwaves is a function of the duration, or how long the heat stress occurs, plus the magnitude of the heat stress anomaly.”

Deckard likes this.
  3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

https://www.clickorlando.com/weathe...temperatures-threatening-floridas-coral-reef/

Record warm ocean temperatures threaten Florida’s coral reef
    El Niño, climate change fueling ocean heat

ORLANDO, Fla. – The Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico are on fire. When it comes to Florida’s coral reefs, it’s not just that the water temperatures are blazing hot, it’s about how early the heat has come.

“Given that 70% of Florida’s coral reef is already net erosional, I’d say that I’m very concerned about the future of Florida’s corals,” said Dr. Derek Manzello, coordinator of NOAA’s Coral Reef Watch program.

Ocean temperatures off the coast of Southwest Florida and the Florida Keys are the hottest they have ever been in the satellite era this early in the year. The satellite era began in the 1960s.

Water temperatures have surged into the mid-to-upper 90s in the Florida Keys over the past few days...

...bleaching is the breakdown in the symbiotic relationship between the coral animal host and its algal symbionts.

“A bleached coral is essentially starving to death because it has lost its main source of nutrition, the algal symbionts,” said Manzello. “The damage that corals experience from marine heatwaves is a function of the duration, or how long the heat stress occurs, plus the magnitude of the heat stress anomaly.”

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Nope, not taking the bait. Thanks for playing.

gifford1967, B-Bob and Xerobull like this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

it was actually less bad than I was expecting but come on just play along with the thread and post some weather disasters bigger than the Dillon brooks 4 year deal

B-Bob and Xerobull like this.
  7. rimrocker

Phoenix should break their record of consecutive 110+ days sometime early next week with some crazy nighttime lows added in. Forecast:
    [​IMG]

Xerobull likes this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

nm

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

transcript at 28:50

Q: (paraphrased) How about the IPCC on extreme weather events?

Pielke: Yeah, so I've been working on extreme weather and climate change really for more than 25 years, since I was a postdoc. And the context is, it's about mid 2000s so about the time that Al Gore's movie came out, the climate advocacy community decided, "You know what we have to bring climate change home to people. You know it's not enough to say oh the temperature is going to increase in 100 years or whatever," and so there has been, and this is well documented, an organized campaign to make extreme weather the face of climate change. And the problem with that . . . the problem with that is the science hasn't cooperated.

So if you go--and it's really important to go phenomenon by phenomena-- the scientific community has pretty good certainty that heat waves, extreme temperature events have increased in many places around the world.

There's also some good understanding that heavy rainfall--not the same as floods but heavy rainfall--has increased. And what's called fire weather--so hot and dry conditions that that lead to fire . . . not fires themselves. And also soil moisture deficits . . . so not meteorological drought not hydrological drought.

Now, hurricanes . . . floods, tornadoes, the big ones that you always see in the headlines: Over the long term the IPCC has been very consistent. They cannot-- and the technical word is attribute-- attribute changes in these events to greenhouse gas emissions or other human causes.

So at some point . . . it's really interesting because at some point the strongest climate advocacy message departed from the IPCC.

So when I used to testify before Congress in the early 2000s I was always invited by democrats. Democrats were always citing the IPCC. After this change, to more focus on extreme weather as the face of climate change, I see more and more Republicans citing the IPCC, and I get invited by Republicans now.

So the IPCC hasn't changed it's message, but the the politics around the message has changed dramatically over the last 15 years.​

Yung-T likes this.
  11. rimrocker

Water behind the dam rose 50 feet but is now down by 2 feet in the last few hours. It looks like the dam will hold for now, but more rain is expected in the coming days.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Are you the person a decade ago that was posting this same kind of stuff? Stuff as in humans have zero impact on what is going on and/or nothing is going on etc?

If so bravo on keeping up the same pitiful fight for so long.

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

no

I have never posted anything to the effect of "humans have zero impact on what is going on and/or nothing is going on etc." The entire point of Pielke Jr's interview here is to explain where the impacts are known with near-100% certainty, and where the impacts are less certain. So clearly your description of "this same kind of stuff" is WAY off.

Yung-T likes this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Then who was the poster then? There was very long thread he would bump every few months with new o&g propaganda science.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

no idea

peleincubus likes this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The fantasy that I think about from time to time is what America and the world might look like if we used only 10% of our military budget to foster long term domestic and global permaculture, reforestation, and land reclamation projects.

Figured that thought might fit in….

Back to the hell on earth summer

17. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but for the deniers out there, I am not sure what data points you are looking at but a simple "google" search will show how depilated the earth has become over the last 100 years. I get that its one of those issues that you cant really fix with one law, it takes not only cities from doing there part but countries also. It`s also very easy to say, well its not my issue, I will be long gone before anything happens. This issue is really about future generations, and for those gop members like meatball ron who says on day one he would nix the green deal, well that's your prerogative if you make it that far, but what will you do for the KIDS of the future. What is your plan to combat this problem, I dont ever hear gop talking points on the climate issue, I mostly hear that we must use fossil fuels, and the evil dems and there dam green deal is BS.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

^not a climate disaster^

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Needs more funding. 8-bit graphics from the 1980s.

robbie380 likes this.
  20. rimrocker

Parts of Kentucky getting 13+ inches of rain. Flooding underway.
    [​IMG]
    The town of Mayfield is underwater and they are still trying to recover from an EF-4 tornado that came through in in 2021.
    [​IMG]