1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Climate-Related Disasters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Buck Turgidson

Never knew those things were customary (of course I've only ever had to deal with one at a time). Scavengers gotta eat too.

I'd say it's entirely too early to think about impacts beyond the short-term.

Curious where you're getting your info? I haven't checked the Farm Bureau or anyone like that yet.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

HVAC system - Off

FU, HVAC!

3. Buck Turgidson

I think I've gone from heat-to-cool and v/versa 6 times so far this fall/winter. Will probably need the cool back on in the next few days.

80's here for the next few days at least, low doesn't get low enough to cool it off during sleepytime

#363 Buck Turgidson, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s 63 in Minneapolis. I was actually sweating a bit just now doing some outdoor work on my house

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Buck Turgidson and Mango like this.
  6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

There is a video interview with Farm Bureau at the link.
    Panhandle wildfires kills ‘staggering’ amount of livestock

Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association Disaster Relief

INFORMATION FOR CATTLE RAISERS
    Requesting aid through the TSCRA Disaster Relief Fund

Applications to request aid from the TSCRA Disaster Relief Fund for those impacted by Texas and Oklahoma wildfires will be available soon. Please check back for updates and additional information.

Documenting livestock losses

Cattle raisers are reminded to document livestock losses for recordkeeping and future indemnity program requirements with d
    ated photos or video, if possible. Accurate inventory including the number and type of livestock before and after the natural disaster will be needed for a variety of relief programs. Beginning and ending year inventory are a minimum and should be supplemented with production records including: births, death losses, weaning numbers, purchase records, sale records
    , veterinarian records, inventory-related bank loan documentation, records assembled for tax filing, and other reliable documents that can verify livestock inventories at different points throughout the year.

For the cattle that survived, good - decent grazing land in that area is likely to be limited for the rest of 2024. So ranchers will be buying & feeding hay this Summer instead of having cattle grazing in pastures.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Enjoy your beef y'all

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

9. rimrocker

10. Buck Turgidson

Not necessarily how all this stuff works.

11. Buck Turgidson

Not necessarily. Yall need to slow your roll.

12. Buck Turgidson

13. Mango

You are more optimistic than I am in regards to how fast burned pasture/grassland will bounce back and be usable in 2024.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. Mango

15. Buck Turgidson

I am.

That's a total doom & gloom article (love the Tx Tribune, though)

One major point, wrt food prices and beef availability, is that the fires spared the giant feedlots (for better or worse). Things will be bad for those folks in the Panhandle for a bit....we're already talking about amalgamating our leftover hay bales and sending them up....the shortage of input (wheat/sorghum/soy/etc...) is where the price crunch may show up (for me, not for yall). A "controlled burn" will grow back the next growing season...this was not that...it was so hot that it most likely "cauterized" the soil, so like you said it'll take a bit longer, depending on what and how they remediate it.

If I had a crew I trusted, I'd be up there building fence (I imagine everybody like that around here will be gone for a couple of months...hope I don't need any work done), like roofers after a hurricane.

"raising cattle is easy, growing grass is hard" is the old Hill Country maxim

More thoughts later, here's some other stuff/places to keep track of:

https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/ (this is the local "county agent" who you talk to for almost everything (even questions about your yard grass); it's their job to coordinate with the 5 below other agencies and make it as simple as possible...god bless the Aggies)

https://www.fsa.usda.gov/state-offi...ural-disaster-areas-due-to-qualifying-drought (this was before the fires...you file every year there's a declared drought)

https://www.texasagriculture.gov/Home/Production-Agriculture/Disaster-Assistance

https://www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-and-services/disaster-assistance-program/index

http://tscra.org/disaster-relief-fund/

#375 Buck Turgidson, Mar 3, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    Kevooooo, Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not necessarily relevant to this thread but a tornado in the central valley of California was a little unusual. Just had some hail out our house in the Bay Area, and wind speeds have hit 190 mph in the Sierra near Tahoe. Pretty ripping winter storm! Snowpack is going to be off the hook.

17. Buck Turgidson

What's the updated snow predictions around the Sierras?

18. rimrocker

I believe it's high passes at 10 feet, peaks at 13.

19. rimrocker

Meanwhile at Crater Lake, here's the current view of the visitor center cam and one without so much snow for comparison.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Xerobull likes this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

@rimrocker Beau making an observation that it seems like more and more fires are being caused by (improperly maintained) utility poles. Is there some truth to that?