1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Climate-Related Disasters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Jun 5, 2023.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Multiple atmospheric rivers hitting SoCal the last few days.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

2023 fires popping back up in Canada. Some of these could go for multiple years. The problem is exacerbated by lack of snowfall, as most of the storms that have hit the Pacific coast of the US should have been further north, but a weakened and curvier jet stream has pushed stuff south and created a winter drought in Canada.
    ___
    Beneath the ground in Western Canada, dozens of so-called "zombie fires" that started last year are still burning.

And even though it's the dead of winter, the lack of snow this year is compounding ongoing drought conditions, leaving Canadians already bracing for another brutal forest fire season.

___
    This year there are 10 to 12 times more zombie fires burning in Western Canada than usual. They smolder beneath the surface of the boreal forest through the winter, sustained by layers of dried peat and organic matter.
    ___
    According to Natural Resources Canada, snow cover has decreased by 5 to 10 percent per decade since 1981. And this winter was marked by mild winter temperatures, which were on average 4 degrees Celsius above seasonal norms, according to the environment ministry.

Given the current conditions, "it will only take a little wind or a lightning storm for the leaves and needles of conifers to catch fire. It is an extremely flammable fuel," said Marc-Andre Parisien, a Canadian Forest Service researcher.

"The stage is set for a very active spring, at least in the western part of the country," added Mike Flannigan, a professor at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, British Columbia.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/zombie-bl...3Jhjvm9P3rMIiCLP6yHItOkTM6e7oZDj03Xypk_5H5Fhy

(4 degrees Celsius = 7.2 degree Fahrenheit.)

4. lpbman

lpbman Member

Weird confluence of data feeds for me to read this, a reddit thread about Moosejaw (I think?) freaking out over being above freezing mid feb, and having

"'Gut punch': As Crowsnest River runs dry, Pincher Creek forced to dig for water" story on my phone today.

rimrocker likes this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Not really a disaster (some here think it is) but it might hit 60 degrees in Minneapolis today.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This video rings very true with some real
    Minnesota attitudes.

Xerobull likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Lol, watched that the other day. The lady from California is such a stereotypical Californian.

Was in Duluth last year, it's a beautiful little town. All of Minnesota is gorgeous, really.

8. rimrocker

Duluth does have a lot going for it long term. I'm not ready to buy a house there yet, but soon enough, the places that will have lesser impacts because of their location and have a governmental structure/educated populace that can innovate and adapt will become the priciest refuges. Duluth is probably on that track--already you see big money buying up rural lands in northern regions betting that the wheat regions will shift with the climate.

If you have kids or grandkids, the best thing you can do is give them options. That could be dual citizenship in an EU country that effectively doubles your geographic options and gives you many more governmental options, or it could be buying 10 acres outside of Duluth, 5 acres in the PNW, or 2 acres in Vermont and sitting on it. Because of current weather, those places in the northern Midwest will be cheaper longer while the east coast money will flock to New England (already happening) and west coast money will hammer the best places in the PNW (already happening). The problem is there are no obvious answers--the CA lady in Duluth is right--every place will be impacted. You just have to make a good guess and put your bet on the table. Smart families and groups of friends will pool money to make sure they have options.

We are no longer in the prevention stage. We're in the response stage and too many places are brittle, even as they prosper today. Concurrently, there is little appetite to meaningfully respond on a national or state level, leaving it up to individuals to manage the crisis as they can. More and more people will realize that every day and the amount of money they have and the timing of the planning they do will be critical. Weather, water, food/arable land, educated neighbors, good government, innovation, and adaptability will all matter greatly. You don't want to be the last one in your neighborhood or the last one pulling up to the gasoline pump. You want to be one of the first in a good place and bring other smart people with you. Good luck.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I’m guessing you were there when it was 20 below.

10. Xerobull

Nah. Mid-October. Memby?

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Get ready Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Rochester global warming will bring you back to life!

12. Buck Turgidson

95, February, in Texas today

Xerobull likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I haven't lived in bone chilling cold and don't want to in a place like Duluth. The lack of sunlight is probably a bigger factor. I mean it could become nicer in a few more decades but extreme weather is extreme.

Upstate NY and rust belt regions around the lakes is still cheap for that reason though when it happens the migration will amplify just like it did with Florida and covid.

14. Xerobull

Holy ****.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

October is the best time to visit Mn. It’s when the leaves are changing and were past ragweed season.

It can snow though in October.

16. Xerobull

It was awesome. I jogged on the running path next to the Mississippi in downtown St. Paul.

I did notice that lots of people smoke there, wtf is up with that?

17. Buck Turgidson

Xerobull likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Is it smoking or vaping?

19. Xerobull

Definitely smoking.

Haven’t looked at the top cities list in a while. Impressive to see all of the Texas cities. I still think Houston should be #3 and the last census ****ed us with migrants being afraid to report due to the Trump admin.

20. rimrocker