1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Climate Change

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ItsMyFault, Nov 9, 2016.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Even accepting the idea that the worst case scenario RCP is implausible, as the Nature commentary this linked to also argued, that doesn’t mean that the “most likely” business-as-usual scenario is not a cause for concern. The most likely scenario, affirmed also by that Nature commentary, would result in a 3 degrees warmer planet by end of century, and most agree that would be disastrous.

B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just going to point out that it is a FACT NOT A PREDICTION that the planet has warmed on average significantly in recent decades and that warming is accelerating.
    https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature
    "
    • 2020 was the second-warmest year on record based on NOAA’s temperature data, and land areas were record warm.
    • Averaged across land and ocean, the 2020 surface temperature was 1.76° F (0.98° Celsius) warmer than the twentieth-century average of 57.0°F (13.9°C) and 2.14˚F (1.19˚C) warmer than the pre-industrial period (1880-1900).
    • Despite a late-year La Niña event that cooled a wide swath of the tropical Pacific Ocean, 2020 came just 0.04˚ Fahrenheit (0.02˚Celsius) shy of tying 2016 for warmest year on record.
    • Earth’s temperature has risen by 0.14° F (0.08° C) per decade since 1880, and the rate of warming over the past 40 years is more than twice that: 0.32° F (0.18° C) per decade since 1981.
    • The 10 warmest years on record have occurred since 2005.
    • From 1900 to 1980 a new temperature record was set on average every 13.5 years; from 1981–2019, a new record was set every 3 years."

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Right. There is clear evidence right in front of us on the severe impacts of a warming planet. It’s going to get much, much worse in coming decades if people continue to look the other way.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good interview with Roger Pielke Jr.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/08/13/climate-change-is-real-but-its-not-the-apocalypse/

excerpt:

Pielke: There are two perspectives that people need to keep in mind. Firstly, some of the gravest risks are certainly lower than we thought they were. That’s good news. The bad news is that the IPCC is quite conclusive that we are changing the climate and we are going to continue to do so. And it’s going to have negative effects and create risks.

The IPCC report obviously did not tell us that climate change isn’t a problem. But just because it’s a problem doesn’t mean it’s the apocalypse. Climate change is real. It’s serious. I’m a strong advocate for mitigation and adaptation policies. But that doesn’t mean that it’s ‘code red for humanity’ and billions of people are at immediate risk, as the secretary-general of the UN claimed. That’s just irresponsible hyperbole.

I would encourage scientists and activists to be careful with science. If you invoke science to support the agendas you are pursuing, then you must be certain that you are doing it with integrity.

#705 Os Trigonum, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  6. dmoneybangbang

LOL....No Turley?!?!

As far as the opinion of your piece.... just more talking in circles.....and not taking responsibly..... classic conservativism.....

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Pielke Jr is the real deal

B-Bob likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

.....yes the author of the Climate Fix is the "real deal".

I think that's adorable you think skeptics still have any validity..... I mean we are having historic global flooding and wild fires with higher temperatures .... but you know.... it's not the literal "apocalypse". o_O

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that's fine, your ad hominem is duly noted

10. dmoneybangbang

Awwwww........ upset the climate skeptic is talking in circles.....

Like what was the point of the article YOU posted...... the IPCC report doesn't portend the apocalypse? Please tell me the point of your article....

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you're my favorite poster, you continue with the excellent contributions. I eagerly await your next post

12. TheresTheDagger

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

That's what I thought.... You can't even defend the "real deal" and the article you posted. Run along now

14. dmoneybangbang

It's weird..... conservatives how moved into this intermediate zone now that they can't outright dismiss climate change. It's fascinating, like watchin a toddler develop.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

boy you're good. you're making my night. moar please

16. dmoneybangbang

17. dmoneybangbang

Yes, let's talk about the point of the article YOU posted. Let's talk about the real deal, boy.

So...... what was the point.....

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I never ever ever tire of reading your posts. you are the MAN

19. dmoneybangbang

Thank you so much. I don't require distracting platitudes...

I just want to talk about Roger Pielke Jr and how it's not the apocalypses. Can we specifically talk about that?

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

yeah, you want to talk about Pielke Jr. :rolleyes: you were the one whose first ad hominem started this ball rolling. you're the best