1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Climate Change] NYT Jackass Compares Driving Your Car To Work To Rape, Torture And Murder By The Na

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Sep 14, 2015.

1. yo

yo Member

It's funny when a guy insists he's right and everybody is just snickering at him.

2. malakas

malakas Member

You just quoted in that same page that the phenomenon of Nazis will not appear exactly like in the past. The Nazis are just a historical example of warfare stemmed from ecological panic.
    So if you wrap your mind around that, then yes. What it says is that climate change can lead to wars. Not Nazis. Wars. SEE the difference?
    You conveniently skipped the paragraphs where he cites all the other examples like the Arabs and Rwanda.:rolleyes:

And if you don't understand even this I am out. You should really go back to high school.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Yeah, so um, this is awkward. Can everyone just move on and let it go? I feel bad for him.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

This has to be a troll job, right?

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

And I guess your citation against this claim is rocketsjudoka?

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

So you are now admitting to not having read the article? Brilliant. Genicides and famines are man made. They happen regardless of drought, flooding or climate change. I suggest you brush up on history.

7. malakas

malakas Member

I read that article. Are you mentally challenged? The whole point of the article is how environmental disasters and the panic from them lead to those "man made genocies and famines".

Welcome to my ignore list. You are beyond hope. Good luck with your life though I doubt at this point you are able to even read the street signs.

1 person likes this.
  8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

I get it. Those saying we can't cope with climate change are the Nazis.
    Right.

9. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Member

Now you've gone into full troll mode because you've made yourself look so stupid that it's the only way to save face.

But...you're not fooling anyone.

And did you even read the article you posted?

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

My citation for the claim is the posts of Cohete Rojo, as specified previously.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I heard an interview with this guy on NPR that was really interesting. They were talking about his new book on the Holocaust, not so much about climate change. The thing that really struck me was that he says that if you were a Jew in Germany you had a much, much higher chance of surviving the Holocaust than if you were a Jew in a conquered nation, like Poland. And, he says we've missed a lesson from the history of WWII: that genocide was enabled by the destruction of state institutions, and that we should be more circumspect about undertaking regime changes that effectively cripple or destroy existing state structures, because all kinds of bad things fill the void (like ISIS, most recently).

He also touches lightly in the interview on the subject of this article, saying that the solution Hitler proposed to solve -- lack of natural resources -- would actually have been solved by technology if he'd chosen that route. On WWII history, I don't much like that argument because I don't think the need for resources was considered as anything more than a pretext; he wasn't trying to avoid some crisis, he was trying to maximize German wealth and power. But, far be it from to argue with a Yale professor with the CV he's got. For the more general lesson of history, it's not terribly unorthodox. He argues in a very libertarian way that human ingenuity will solve our problems.

Here is his interview: http://www.npr.org/2015/09/09/43894...res-dangers-of-misunderstanding-the-holocaust

Cohete, I'd urge you to get over whatever slight you think he's paid you. I think he's a pretty insightful person, and he's looking at current events and our own resource troubles through the lens of an historian.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

There is something wrong with your brain. He is comparing the ignorance of people like you to the ignorance of Hitler - that their anti-science stance was a religion like cult. But he isn't comparing your kind of idiots to those who rape and pillage. It's saying that if you dont take climate change seriously and continue to deny it, you will set-up conditions in Africa and other parts of the world for more genocidal regimes.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

Deny what? You have an entire thread to draw evidence from yet you chose to use strawmen. BTW, aren't you the one saying that technology and science can't be used to cope with climate change?

14. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Member

It is hilarious that someone who titled this abortion of a thread this:

Would have the nerve to throw around the term 'straw man.' At this point, I am just assuming that you are ignorant of what a strawman argument actually is. You are ignorant of everything else, it seems.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

What strawmen? Here is what the author had to say, it's pretty clear:

Strawmen.
    Right.

16. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Member

Straw man...and like a textbook example of it.

Perhaps you should read the article again (or for the first time, more likely)?

17. yo

yo Member

Lolz Cohete. I feel bad for him.

[​IMG]

18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, classic D&D. Same ole' same ole' easily programmed by fear/hate indoctrinated screaming machines. Brought to you by Fox News, CNN and forwarded emails.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

ou deny that climate change even exists against all the scientific conscientious! The article is making fun of people like you. And the irony is you quote it and can't even understand that!

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

Like I said. When presented with an entire thread, you can't dig up one evidentiary statement.

Weak. More ad-hominems and strawmen as usual.