1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cleveland and Utah looking to trade down?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by jogo, Jun 7, 2011.

1. jogo

jogo Member

Two teams actively trying to trade down are the Utah Jazz and Cleveland Cavaliers, according to sources. The Cavs have been telling agents they are actively trying to acquire a draft pick in the 10-19 range, which is why certain player with no chance of being picked in the top four are coming to Cleveland for workouts. The No. 1 and No. 4 picks are the Cavs' only first round picks. This would certainly be an option if they believe Derrick Williams and Enes Kanter will both be gone in the top three picks. The Jazz are exploring every option, especially trading down from the No. 3 pick. TheHoopsReport

Read more: http://insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml#ixzz1OckFIo5s

Could the Rockets move in here? If neither team wants Kanter then maybe we can move in and take him. I doubt Utah would trade with us due to our history and being in the same conference, but Cleveland...

We probably won't be able to trade into the top 10 anyway.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If Utah and Cleveland are indeed looking to trade down, and if Cleveland is, especially, looking to get into the top 20 range, we would certainly be in the middle of the discussions.

But are we (1) looking to step back and create cap space for future flexibility? Or (2) looking to add to the core and, indeed, as McHale and Morey state, make the playoffs next season and build from there?

I imagine if the answer is (1) Morey might offer Kevin Martin or Luis Scola, especially to Cleveland with their large LeBron trade exception. Don't know if the #4 is worth either player.

If the answer is (2) Morey might start by offering, say, Courtney Lee + #14 (and then barter from there).

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It really sucks how Houston is rarely, if ever, involved in any rumors. This news came out yesterday and already today other teams have jumped at the opportunity.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, maybe Houston is a little better at keeping its people from talking.

You have to wonder how rumors get started in the first place, anyway.

We're hearing about the horse-trading that other teams are looking to do. We're not hearing much on the Rockets front, except that the team would look to trade up. It's probably best we're in the dark. And probably best for the team, because, to move up into the top 5, we'd have to trade a player or two, and we saw the last couple of years how that messes with a player's head. Or, at least, doesn't do the team any good to let whatever player know that he's expendable (although any player not named LeBron, Wade, Dirk, et al, should understand this reality).

1 person likes this.
  5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

There's another possibility. And it's rooted in personnel and payroll. (Noting that unsigned draft picks have no trade value).

Most Lottery-level teams want one of two things for their numerically lower pick. To send out their bad contract(s) or to take your potential upside contract (usually Rookie Scale).

Since the Rockets play with $Balls, they are very unlikely to send out Martin for Baron Davis even if it means jumping up 10 spots.

Consequently, what Rocket player not named Scola or Martin could be afixed to the #14 pick to entice CLE or UTAH? The Cavs would want to send you Gibson or Sessions with the #4. What does HOU put on the table with the #14 that balances the deal?

I think the lack of discussion has a lot to do with the collection of assets the Rockets have.

#5 GATER, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If I recall there was a ton of Varajeo interest by Morey, maybe CLE looks to dump some contracts and move back?

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think that was before his injury though.

8. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I could see it happening.

1st Kanter is drafted by Cleveland then traded to Washington for Blatche and their #6 as they use their massive TE from the James deal to swallow the contract of Blatche.

Then Minnesota is forced to trade Beasley as they draft Williams. And drafting Irving won't do them any good since they have Rubio.

Then comes Utah drafting Irving and possibly trading Harris.

Then Cleveland is left with nothing @#4. So they draft Biyombo for Houston.

One can dream right!!!!!?

9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would offer them #14, #23 (also maybe a future pick) and Thabeet for #4 and Varejao. Varejao and his 9/9 will be making $8-10M over the next 4 years. Thabeet only has one more year and an option at close to $6M. Cleveland is bad enough that they could afford to develop Thabeet, a former #2 overall pick, while saving themselves some money in the short- and long-term. You woul dthen have Bismack and Varejao while leaving the rest of the team intact with the ability to trade for a SF down the road.

10. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

What if we take one of their scrubs and the 4th pick and we give them the 14th pick, Jordan Hill and Dragic? would that be to much? we still have the 23rd pick and 38th to address our needs.

11. GATER

From the OP, the Cavs think the talent level drops off substantially after #2. That could change if Kanter works out for the Cavs and they are willing to take a risk. So here's the real question after Irving, Williams and Kanter are off of the board. How nany starting caliber players can we grab with one swipe.

Hill IMO is Varejao-light. Not much interest that I can see. Dragic would be basically Baron's backup. And the deal wouid hinge on two things.

One...is 14 someone the Cavs want and two is the Dragic and 14 the best that any team would put on the table. The last part is a tough call. I'm leaning toward a better offer. We'll see. :)

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Les has repeated he'll fork out cash for the right player, and we actually had a deal in place that would give us Philly's number 2 for absorbing Brand's contract.

What's likely is DM runs the cost/benefits on some little calculator, and if its a net positive he goes for it. If there are multiple net positives on the table then he picks the biggest one.

13. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/38793

:)

14. GATER

Not trying to be an internet cop but...do you have a link that the Rockets were willing to take on Brand ($51M/3 seasons)? I did a search and cannot find anything credilble to the effect. Thanks.

Secondly, if that scenario were true, target was more than likely Cousins. And it would have meant sending Grady to PHI as he is the only player on the payroll at the time who remotely matched Brand.

Keep in mind...Grady only had his surgery 5 months before the draft.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Dude, the Rockets traded McGrady to the Knicks FOUR MONTHS before that trade could have possibly gone down.

But I'm with you that taking on Brand's contract was probably too rich for Les and Morey's blood. I also think Cousins (not Favors) was their target.

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I can semi-vouch for that. The information came from a meeting with ticket season holders after the draft.. you know, the meeting where Morey explains to everyone why he failed to trade up again. There was a thread detailing the talk after it happened (I wasn't in attendance), but I'm too lazy to go searching for it. I know I saw it though.

IIRC, Philly pulled out of the deal a couple hours before the draft. (Or at least that's what Morey told the season ticket holders).

#16 LongTimeFan, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  17. HMMMHMM

Here's what roslolian is talking about.
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=5387347

I still don't believe we were willing to take on Brand. It just doesn't fit Morey's M.O.
    A guy like Elton Brand completely destroys any kind of cap flexibility, which is one of the things Morey is very high on.
    I don't see us ever trading for a bad contract with more than 2 years left.
    My guess is that we were willing to take on Nocioni and maybe Kapono.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

19. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Really? The Rockets would take on Brand, select (Cousins? Favors) at #2 and be set with a franchise center going forward. OR.. the Rockets make a mid-season trade of that 2nd pick for Carmelo Anthony/Deron Williams.

I think Morey would definitely be interested in taking Brand back if it meant you'd be getting a huge trade chip/piece to the puzzle like a #2 pick generally is.

20. HMMMHMM

Do you remember how awful Brand was the season prior to last year's draft? I mean he was AWFUL.

Also remember that at the time we were planing on Yao being healthy and were looking forward to re-signing Scola / trading for Bosh. How would Brand have fit into all this? A $17mil backup, really?

Things have changed quite a bit since then. Maybe Morey would do such a deal now, but I find it hard to believe that we were seriously willing to take on Brand's contract at that time.

Also remember that at the time there were no indications that either Anthony or Williams would become available, nor that it would become trendy to team up with 'super friends'.