1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens to the Yankees?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by A_3PO, Jan 4, 2007.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The D-Backs taking Randy Johnson off their hands clears the way for the Yanks to offer Clemens big money.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yea... those Yankees really had to clear the payroll, and stick with the budget. :D

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yankees. Budget. Oxymoron.

4. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I'll bet you write for a New York newspaper

5. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

of course he's going to the yankees. was there ever really a doubt? don't get me wrong, this has nothing to do with his game, because i'd put him on the short-list of the greatest pitchers ever just like most would, and i loved and treasure his 2.5 years here, but, roger clemens is, was, and always has been a complete sleazeball and, save for brett favre, nobody in sports history has been more hungry for the spotlight. (let me qualify this by saying he is a DISTANT 2nd to favre, and i still have respect for roger's game at least. favre is just scum of the earth)

he will be a yankee, and knew he would be the second the final out was made this past season. now it's his milking time. time for everybody to talk about him and make sure his whereabouts are a lead story on sportscenter every night. he's lucky that he has the excuse of his buttbuddy heading there first (although i'd bet my life savings that was calculated too).

it's funny, because when you strip it down, there is no other reason that you can come up with, other than wanting the new york spotlight, for him to pitch there. is he that hungry to get another championship with the yankees? do they give him THAT much better of a chance than we would?? does he no longer care about his family and living in houston, which were the reasons he left there 3 years ago in the first place?

thanks for 2.5 great years here though scumbag. was a pleasure to get to watch you pitch, and that's it.

and if you havent learned by now folks....i'm never wrong.

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

My wife is going to kill you for talking poorly about Favre. She's Irish Italian and ****ing crazy. You're a dead man.

7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Nah I bet they'll pick up most of the tab on Randy Johnson so they don't really clear up much payroll. The key was just getting rid of that slot in the rotation. Money is irrelevant to the Yankees.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If Clemens goes to the Yankees it wouldn't piss me off as much as Pettite did by going back to the Yankees. With Roger you knew that you were getting a mercenary pitcher that was a hometown guy, and just happened to be one of the greatest pitchers of all time. It was an honor to be able to watch him pitch in Houston.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The sarcasm detector ran out of batteries?

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I agree that it clears a slot (for Rocket, likely) in the rotation and that the Yanks'll pay a princely sum of the contract.

However, it will save NYY's bucks in lessened Lux tax $s. Georgie will be able to afford his next meal...

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

They've agreed to pick up only 2 million of the 16 million owed to Johnson this year. Not that it matters any.

12. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

I'd love to have Clemens.

13. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Kind of makes sense. I can envision a conversation like this, "sure I'll sign, but you have to get rid of RJ first."

Anyone else think something like this possibly took place?

14. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

possible...i seriously doubt Randy gets dealt if the Yankees don't have some kind of info. they got 5 starters without Randy though. hopefully Roger isn't playing us...but it wouldn't be the first time we were duped.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I doubt it went that way. More like the Yankees wanted to get rid of Randy Johnson before making a final decision on signing Clemens. Sort of like getting rid of old furniture before buying more old furniture.

16. longinthetooth

yeah that favre guy sucks

:rolleyes:

17. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Maybe they'll be back together again ;)

[​IMG]

18. Jester

Jester Contributing Member

That image is classic!

19. franchise?..NOT

McLane won't let this be about money. He knows that Clements more than pays for himself and also the benefits of having him in the clubhouse as well as the field.

If Clemens goes to NYC it will be all about Clemens. If Clemens is the PR hound that he is accused of being here by some then it does not make sense that he would be unaware of his legacy in Houston at this point in his career.

I believe that Clemens will stay here. The Yankees are not that much better than the Astros could be this year. When you factor in the number of games it will take to win the two divisions respectively, ALE vs NLC, then the Astros have a better chance to win the division then they have had in years.

20. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I agree it wont be about money but Clemens will be pitching in NYC