1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens Speaks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Bobblehead, Dec 22, 2007.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I call it like I see it, Sen. Mitchell!

2. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3168534

Report: Clemens' attorney launches probe; Rocket to talk to reporters
    Roger Clemens' lead attorney told the New York Times that his firm is launching its own investigation into allegations the seven-time Cy Young winner used steroids and human growth hormone.

"We are convinced the conclusions in Mitchell's report are wrong and are investigating the findings ourselves," Rusty Hardin told The Times. "At this stage we have uncovered a lot of logical people who we thought Mitchell was going to talk to but never talked to him or his investigators. That's troubling."

Hardin declined to tell The Times the names of the individuals he was referring to.

Clemens will tell his side of the story in a Jan. 6 "60 Minutes" interview with Mike Wallace. Hardin told The Times that Clemens will answer other reporters' questions after that interview.

"After '60 Minutes' airs he will be sitting down to answer questions directly to members of the media," Hardin told the newspaper. "We haven't figured out where it will happen but he will answer questions that night."

Clemens was the biggest name in the report by former Senate majority leader George Mitchell that detailed the widespread use of performance-enhancing drugs in baseball.

The Rocket's last four Cy Young Awards came in 1997, 1998, 2001 and 2004. Many of the allegations against Clemens in the Mitchell report came from former trainer Brian McNamee, though none pertain to 1997 or 2004. Mitchell wrote McNamee said he injected Clemens with steroids in 1998 while with the Toronto Blue Jays, and steroids and human growth hormone in 2000 and 2001, while with the New York Yankees.

Clemens also defended himself against the Mitchell report accusations in a video posted on his official Web site Sunday.

"Let me be clear: The answer is no, I did not use steroids, human growth hormone, and I've never done so. I did not provide Brian McNamee with any drugs to inject into my body. Brian McNamee did not inject steroids or human growth hormone into my body, either when I played in Toronto for the Blue Jays, or the New York Yankees. This report is simply not true," Clemens said in the videotaped statement.

Another former McNamee client, Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte, said recently that he took HGH twice while rehabbing from an injury in 2002. Mitchell said McNamee told him he injected Pettitte with HGH two-to-four times that year.

"He stands 100 percent behind the accuracy of the information he provided to Sen. Mitchell," McNamee's lawyer, Ed Ward, said in a recent statement.

Ward told The New York Daily News for Monday's edition that McNamee would be willing to one day sit down with Clemens and explain his side of the story.

"Brian would be open to it, certainly," Ward told the newspaper. "I don't know if Roger would. But Brian would be open to it because he knows what he's been saying all along is honest and truthful and he'd want Roger to understand he was obligated to tell the truth.

"The bottom line is he did not want to implicate a friend and a baseball icon in a steroid scandal," Ward added. "He was asked to tell the truth and he has. That's always been his position since Day 1."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

3. University Blue

Roger Clemens should testify under oath.

4. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

I hope they're not using the same investigators O.J. is using to find the real killers.

5. plee

plee Member

If they find that McNamee was telling the truth, will they let us know? :eek:

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The King of the B-12/Licodene cocktail has been asked to testify before Congress. Will he take the oath?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080104/sp_nm/baseball_steroids_clemens_dc_2

Clemens asked to testify at U.S. steroids hearings 47 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Baseball pitching great Roger Clemens, who denies claims he used steroids, was asked on Friday to testify before a U.S. congressional panel investigating use of performance-enhancing drugs.

There was no immediate word whether the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee would subpoena Clemens if he refused to appear voluntarily on January 16.

The committee also invited Brian McNamee, his ex-trainer, who told investigators for a probe led by former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell that he injected Clemens with steroids and a human growth hormone.

Clemens told CBS's "60 Minutes," in an interview to be aired on Sunday, that he was injected with the painkiller lidocaine and the vitamin B-12 during his 24 year playing career but not steroids.

Clemens, 45, concluded his career last season with the New York Yankees.

In addition to Clemens and McNamee, the committee asked three others implicated in the Mitchell report, released last month, to testify. They include Andy Pettitte, a former Clemens' teammate; Chuck Knoblauch, a retired player, and former New York Mets clubhouse attendant Kirk Radomski.

Mitchell is scheduled to speak to the panel on January 15, the day before Clemens, along with Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig, who requested the Mitchell investigation, and Donald Fehr, president of the players' association.

7. Raven

Raven Member

Richard Justice, who seems to be an unabashed Liberal, never liked being accused of racism simply for going after Bonds, and now he can prove his innocence by shredding Clemens. As much as I dislike The Rocket, and always have, Justice is entering Bill O'Reilly territory in his fanatical coverage of this story.

Personally, I've tossed Clemens into the same pit with all the other steroid stallions and wouldn't vote for any of them, but the media should be careful not to make Clemens look sympathetic, and that's a real possibility.

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Not trying to defend Clemens, but should all players named be asked to testify or is it a Big Game hunt?...

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

In his 60 minutes interview, I thought he came across as an idiot and an arrogant ass hole

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

that was horrible. his points were not good at all, and when he said "pulling tractors with my teeth" thats where he probably lost a lot of people

and why the hell does he expect "a benefit of the doubt"???? i just dont get that at all. he never really answered the question of why mcnamee would tell the truth about pettite and lie about clemens...

11. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

same here..i thought he was about to lose it. i do feel for the guy though but he is not doing anything to to not make people question him.

not trying to defend him but, i mean wouldnt u be pissed if some trainer ruined ur whole career?

i am tired of this he said she said crap.

plus i am not sure he was 100% right about what he said about steriods in general. pull tractors?

steriods would have helped him heal faster because his workouts are very intense right?

12. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

He is an idiot. It angers me because he is giving Texans a bad name. I can't believe how arrogant he appeared. I'm proud to say that I have never liked Clemens, not even when the Astros had him.

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Happened to catch it and two things that stood out for me... mentions that he's not about the fame and glory, not about putting together a Hall of Fame career, etc...now I don't know the man personally, but if you un-retire three times, the last time making an announcement at a Yankees home game, that would lead me to believe you crave the spotlight.

And the other thing is he seemed to dodge the question of taking a lie detecter test. He said they can be good and can be bad, he doesn't know. Now if you had absolutely nothing to hide (like Travis Henry for example) wouldn't you be more than willing to do whatever it takes to prove your innocence, even taking a lie detector?

14. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

same thoughts.

he should have said "absolutely, i would take whatever tests i need to prove i am innocent"

not "uh hm..ya..wait do they say the truth?"

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I couldn't watch it, too squirmy. But my wife, who didn't believe him up to this point says OK, she believes him. Both of us caught the downcast eyes on the promo piece when he says "I swear" and figured it was a tell. But she said that was less of a factor in the context of the whole interview.

I want to believe him but his truth is stranger than fiction.

On, to the depositions! All the lawyers and politicians have stiff nipples of glee. Oh the fee's , oh the exposure!

Who gets to go on TV and express to Mr. Clemens the utter disappointment of the American People?

[​IMG][​IMG]

#35 Dubious, Jan 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sorry interview. Since when does someone on steroids grow a 3rd ear on their forehead or pull tractors with their teeth? What a stupid thing to say. I'm only an amateur psychologist (my sister is a PhD) but his body language wasn't good at all. As much as he and Pettitte have portrayed themselves as bosom buddies over the years, his answer about being "surprised" by Pettitte's HGH use wasn't remotely credible.

Didn't think I could like Roger Clemens any less than I already did. Dead wrong by a longshot!

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I actually thought he did fine for himself when you consider what he's being put through. (if you take the p.o.v. that he's innocent and then watch it, you might understand why he acted the way he did)

Of course, if you already dislike him or think he's guilty, then it'll come off looking annoying as always..

But yeah, the lie detector part, for example.. to me, he was just saying "yeah, I'll do it. But will it help? I don't know. People have already made up their minds. I think people will always say 'they're not foolproof'. So sometimes they work, sometimes they don't."

And I also agree with a lot of his stuff.. he was good before and after the injections supposedly started and stopped. And you would think he'd be a lot more broken down at this point than he is if he was on steroids.. etc.. (Then again, he was hurt a hell of a lot these past 3 years...I wish Mike Wallace had brought that up)

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yeah, the 3rd ear/pull tractors thing was stupid. But whatever...he's not a genius or the smartest guy ever--everyone says stupid things periodically. I don't think that's a big deal.

His body language wasn't great...but it wasn't super obvious that he had something to hide or anything..

19. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

He was blinking like crazy. He looked and sounded like a person who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. I felt he tried to change the subject a couple of times.

20. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I thought he came off as a complete buffoon in the interview.

If he is guilty, there were much smarter arguments he could have used to try and portray innocence. His defense pretty much came down to "I didn't do it, not true...I deserve the benefit of the doubt." Uhh, wtf?

If he really is innocent, wow wtf, he made himself look guilty if anything. What was that bit about a 3rd ear and pulling tractors? Anyone with a modicum of familiarity with performance enhancing drugs knows that steroids help you heal faster.

Wow, that was just awful. Roger, please just go away.