1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens Says He "May" Boycott HOF Ceremony

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I put quotation marks around it. Relax, I was kidding. Considering your political stances and RM95's, I thought this might be the first time ever the two of you were allies on something other than the Rockets!

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It is a numbers game Giddyup. Is Barkley going into the Hall as a Rocket, or Drexler for that matter???

Changing teams is not a divorce. Barkley still loves Philly fans, and he has stated that's where he wants to go in as a 76er because that's where he gained his most fame.

3. giddyup

giddyup Member

<b>Only</b> if that's what they want.

Manny, did you read what I wrote? I agreed with you that it made more sense to me that Clemens go in as a Red Sock (I like it now) but the choice is or should be his... not yours, mine or the HOF.

I guess if I gave a tinker's damn about the Red Sox I might be 1/3rd as tweaked about this as you are.

4. giddyup

giddyup Member

This bears closer scutiny: change of identity, a new home, loss of relationships, strange surroundings, more money-- oops there goes the analogy!

Barkley and Clyde are going into the Hall as mascots of their team of choice. Why can't Clemens? Seems like you are making my point for me.

Manny seemed to be absolutely hung up by the numbers and, by the numbers, it makes sense to me for Clemens to go in as a Red Sock.... but it is his life, his honor, and maybe his choice.

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

64%? I don't think that is enough to where it would be clear cut that he should be a Red Sock. Say Roger wins 312 for his career, that would mean 61% of his wins would be as a Red Sock. Is that enough to offset his playoff success with the Yanks?

I think it should be up to Roger.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He also won 13% in Toronto which brings the New York percentage down to 23%.

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

I understand that. I just don't think 64% is gaudy enough to where it should be automatic.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I understand the Clemens wants to go in as Yankee argument, but as great as he is, Clemens is not bigger than the game.

9. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Member

roger clemens is a bum. he woulda made a real classy astro

10. giddyup

giddyup Member

... and that's why he may be celebrating on his own. It's his grave.

11. Manny Ramirez

LOL...64% isn't gaudy enough for you, gr8-1??!! What is then? 80% or is it higher?? Sheesh...

giddy,

I am sorry, man but you did a pet peeve of mine in not reading all the posts in the thread. If you have, then you would have known that Clemens accomplished more with Boston than the Yankees, and there would be no need to ask the question you asked. I took your first post as a flippant one, sorry again.

pgabriel,

Thank you for understanding.

I never would have thought that this thread belonged in the Debate and Discussion, but LOL, I also never thought that there were this many Clemens lovers on this board (other than the Yankees fans).

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

80% would do. 64% is alot more than half, but it isn't gaudy, imo. It'll likely be 61 or 62% by the end of the year. If Roger had wanted to play another year, it would likely be 60% or less. OF course, he doesn't want to play another year.

I don't see what the big deal is. It should be his choice, but whatever.

13. giddyup

giddyup Member

I read the posts; I just didn't see the information that I asked about: the number of wins as a Red Sock pitcher. I saw all the other stuff-- including 41 wins as a Blue Jay. Did I miss it?

As I've said four times now (I think), if it were my decision on baseball lore alone I would make him a Red Sock, but I do realize that he has wishes. I think he may regret it in the years to come if he doesn't go in as a Red Sock, but that's his problem not ours.

Can it be changed years down the road?

My initial post was not flippant, however <b>it was</b> a good-natured jab at your Red Soxiness. :)

14. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

They still hate him. They jsut know what the right thing is, unlike you. Boston fans that want him in the Hall as a Boston player obviously have bad intentions in that decision making process. While you may argue he has bad intentions in saying he wants to go in as a Yankee, I don't really buy that. The Yankees regardless of being huge rivals with the Red Sox are the best organization in sports history. If you gain a lot of your career milestones and most memorable moments (half of his most memorable moments are with the Yankees, atleast) with a team as storied as them, you want to be remembered by it. Also, having to represent an entire region that hates you really isn't a swell thing to do either.

The Clemens hatred will not cease in Boston. He'll never regret it.

Can't wait to see Clemens at the Old-Timers game in 3 years time!

15. giddyup

giddyup Member

How do the Red Sox fans feel about lovable ol' Don Zimmer-- now coaching for the Yankees? Is it okay to adore him because he was fired by the Red Sox? If the Red Sox weren't willing to do for Clemens what the Yankees were (in terms of money/years) isn't that tantamount to being fired? I guess Roger shot his mouth off as he was leaving, huh?

16. Manny Ramirez

Rule,

Are you going to honestly sit there and tell me that this hatred doesn't go both ways? If anything, your precious Rocket fuels it.

I have gotten to the point where I don't care anymore. If he is going to be that big of a baby and not show up then whatever, but I am getting sick and tired of this "the whole region hates me even though I have been a sweet and innocent little angel." Bull**** - and that ruse was apparent when he couldn't handle the fact that Piazza owns his ass to the point of deliberately throwing at him...****ing punk (Clemens that is:) ).

17. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

IMO, it doesn't matter how or why the region hates him. They simply do and he shouldn't have to represent them if he doesn't want to. The Hall of Fame amending this stupid, stupid rule is the only thing that has made Clemens step up and say this. I doubt the Hall votes him in as a Red Sox though, after all of this gets its light of the day.

I also love how people think big market teams "buy" players so they'll be on their team as Hall of Famers, or that teams actually give a **** what a player decides as far as what cap he wears in the Hall. This isn't some sort of ****ing competition. The Cubs have more Hall of Famers than the Yankees, does that mean they are a better organization than the Yankees?

18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

To be fair, he wore a special commemorative 300 wins glove when pitching for his 300th win, I think the fact that it was against Boston had little to no impact on that decision.

19. Manny Ramirez

Yea, funny how he wore that glove on his first try for 300 and that try was against the Sox (not Socks, giddy:)). I know he didn't wear it since because it would have been thrown out, but he could always say that he would have worn it against the Tigers, Cubs, etc.

I have to hand it to the Rocket....he is one shrewd individual!!

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why in the hell would he try wearing the glove again? :confused: