1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens Says He "May" Boycott HOF Ceremony

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Smokey

Smokey Member

Clemens actually went to San Jacinto JC after high school, but maybe he did want to play for the Longhorns.

2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

I dont buyit, the backlash this would cause would just be another black eye for the Red Sox franchise. Why would a Sox fan WANT him to go in as a Sox player when he doesnt want to and the town hates him? I think Roger should be inducted by a team and a city who actually like him, not just out of spite, what good does this do? I hope he does boycott the HOF if he is forced to go in as a Red Sox. Have your own party Roger you deserve it...

#42 ROCKSS, Jun 16, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2003
  3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

I always thought the player got to choose which hat he wears on his hall of fame plaque.

Am I mistaken? I must be!

4. drapg

drapg Member

I liked seeing his Horns visor on "Sportscenter" this morning.

5. DCkid

DCkid Member

I <i>hate</i> Roger Clemens...but then he does something like go to Aghanistan to speak to the troops and I think maybe I don't hate him. Is it possible he suffers from some psychological problems like a split personality or something? The whole thing with throwing the broken bat at Piazza really started to make me wonder.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If Clyde Drexler said the same thing about going into the HOF as a Rocket rather than a Trailblazer, would we think he's really cool?

7. giddyup

giddyup Member

Oh yeah, Manny Ramirez is a RedSox fan...

BTW, how many of those 300 wins came in a RedSox uniform?

It's tough for him NOT to say that he wants to go into the HOF as a Yankee when he currently is a Yankee. What do you expect?

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, uh, that's uh, well, that's uh, different. Why? Well, uh, it just is.

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Uh, 192 or 64% of his career wins. Any other questions, giddy?

Huh? That makes no sense. So, according to that type of logic, Hank Aaron should have wanted to go in as a Brewer, Willie Mays as a Met, Ty Cobb as an Athletic, Babe Ruth as a Brave, etc....

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm not giddyup, but I'll ask a couple of questions. How many times have Cashman or Steinbrenner said that Clemens was basically washed up? How many times has he been booed by Yankee fans while he was a member of the Yankees? How many titles did he win in Boston? How about New York?

Of course, you're conveniently ignoring the obvious fact that Clemens has been with the Yankees for more than one or two seasons. Don't comeback and say that's not what giddyup said, it was obviously implied.

11. Elienator

Elienator Member

Just my .02 cents, but Clemens is being pretty immature and selfish. As the article states, he's not the first player to want to go in wearing a certain hat. Gary Carter who clearly wanted to go in as a met (where he won his world series) is still going in as an expo. What makes Clemen's think that he is that much better than other HOF members that the HOF will bow to his boycott? Appropriate behavior from a grown up would be to make the case with all the accomplishments he's acheived as a yankee, that's how he should go into the hall. The childish thing to do is say "I don't like it, so I'm not gonna show up."

12. Manny Ramirez

Thank you. I am glad to see someone else can see Clemens to be the egomaniac that he is.

RM95,

I don't understand the first part of your last post. Giddy asked a simple question and I gave him a simple answer. You are coming up with things that are conjectures and trying to fit your argument when there was nothing else to add except "192 wins or 64% of 300". That is a fact. Period.

5 seasons compared to 2, whoop-de-damn-do. All I know is that it is a helluva lot less than 13.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Very simple. You asked if he had anymore questions. I simply asked some questions for them. Which you didn't answer.

14. Manny Ramirez

So you speak for a *hated* archrival now?

What's next?? Me talking for TheFreak?

Besides, you and me have been around and around on this that it is pointless to engage in any more arguments about the subject.

15. giddyup

giddyup Member

May I make an observation? Okay, I'll make one anyway. You're way too touchy about this.

Notice that I said it is tough for him "to say" anything but that he wants to enter the HOF as a Yankee.

The guy is currently playing for the Yankees. He's won a World Series playing only for the Yankees. He's entered an elite group of 300-game winners while playing for the Yankees. The RedSox are bitter Yankee rivals.

The problem is that he is being asked about this now while he is still playing for the Yankees. Either: 1) Aaron, Cobb, Ruth and Mays weren't asked the same question while they were still productive and active players for secondary clubs OR 2) as regards Clemens, the answer is not as obvious.

BTW, I think Clemens should go in as a RedSock (!)... that's why I asked the question about his number of wins in that uniform... but it is his decision.. or it should be.

16. giddyup

giddyup Member

Okay, I'm all over this now...

I was married <b>the first time</b> to a woman for almost 15 years. My current marriage is approaching its seventh anniversary, so where should my loyalties lie?

A bit of a bizarre analogy, I know but it is equally bizarre when you try to restrict it to a numbers game. This is Clemens' honor; he and others should be able to characterize it as they so choose within limits... he can't go in as an Astro.

17. giddyup

giddyup Member

Ouch! What did I do to deserve this? :eek:

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, I don't know either. I don't hate anyone on this board, and I wouldn't say I've had an archrival for a while now.

19. Manny Ramirez

So, every time someone wins a championship with that team they should go into the HoF for that team?

Giddy re-read this thread and see where I pointed out Clemens' accomplishments with Boston. He did far more with them than anyone else including the Yankees. As for Aaron and company, this wasn't a problem because the player got to choose back then (at least I think that is right). It has only been recently that this has become an issue. Someone, maybe it was drapg, said it started when Boggs wanted to go in with the Devil Rays despite playing only 1 season with them.

When people come to visit Cooperstown and see Boggs' plaque with a Devil Rays' hat, what do you think they are going to say or think when they read his accomplishments and see that he was doing these things before Tampa even had a franchise ? They will probably say, "Something is not right here."

Clemens, of course, has played more than 1 or 2 seasons with the Yankees, but the fact remains, whether he or anyone else likes it, made himself into a HoF player while playing for the Sox. All this garbage of him becoming a HoF player once he joined the Yankees is pure bull****. You mean to tell me that he really thought he would never make the Hall if his career ended with Boston despite striking out 20 batters in a game twice? Or after winning 3 Cy Young awards and 1 MVP award??

The guy is an egomaniac, plain and simple, but a very talented one. As for Boston fans hating him, maybe they were fed a line by Duquette but I guarantee you no one would care about him if he didn't pull stupid **** like wearing a special commemorative 300 wins glove when he pitched against Boston or the other comments about becoming a HoFer after joining the Yankees. It has been a give and take relationship in the hating of Clemens on both sides. So, this whole "whoa, is me, Boston hates my guts" routine that he is playing up is one in which he needs to look in the mirror and realize that he is a big part of it.

20. giddyup

giddyup Member

I have a theory but I'll wait to hear from Manny.