1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens back in Boston?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Another Brother, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Roger retired from the Yankees.
    Then we signed Andy Pettitte and he was convinced to come and play at home and try to bring the Astros a World Series title.

He came home, got them past the Braves in a divisional series and pushed the Card to a game 7 in the Champ Series.

Then this year, he pitched his butt off and the Astros got to the promised land.

If he goes anywhere else to play, then he's about nothing more than MONEY.

I don't want to hear any "Passion" crap from him, he's got titles after titles and Cy-Youngs after Cy-Youngs.

At this point it's either about winning a WS with the Astros, or plain and simple greed. Why would we go to Boston anyway at this point. To win a WS? Pleezzzzz...all about MONEY!!!!

I hope he either retires or plays here. Anything else will be really disappointing!!!

2. Major

Major Member

Clemens brings very little in net added revenues to the Astros - maybe a few million dollars, but that's it. On average, he brings - at most - 5,000 extra fans per game. And that number goes down each year that he's here because the uniqueness factor drops. At about 15 home starts, that's 75,000 extra fans on a team that draws 2.5 million or so. Merchandise money doesn't go to the Astros. Long-term TV contracts don't change based on one or two year players.

Clemens paid for himself the first year he was here when he made $5MM. For $20MM, I'd rather go get Manny or Abreu or someone like that if possible. Especially for a Clemens that is not sure he wants to pitch, is almost certain to decline from last year's performance, and wears out towards the end of the season. As good as he is, he simply isn't worth that kind of money (the only player that really is would be a healthy Barry Bonds).

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I hope Clemens wins the era crown with another team.

4. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

35% chance back to Houston
    30% chance to Rangers
    20% chance he retires
    10% chance to Yankess
    4% chance he goes back to Bean Town

according to ESPN tonight on sportscenter./\/\/\/\/\/\ :confused:

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

They just make stuff up half the time. These stats are as useful as stats that you and I could make up right now.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Clemens does leave, then we as a city got a pretty sweet deal out of it all, if you think about it.

Roger was only here two years, so there wasn't enough time to get severely attached to him or to start thinking of him as some huge Houston sports icon. It's easier to let him go without hard feelings this way.

We got to see, arguably, two of his best seasons ever, and at such a late stage in his career too. Who would have predicted this when we signed him two years ago?

We only signed him to one year contracts, knowing this was likely a short term situation, so there is no huge albatross hanging on our neck when he leaves somewhere else.

The circumstances of him coming to Houston could potentially be very similar to what may transpire with him leaving to Boston, meaning he seems to have expressed interest in only continuing to play if he could be close to home...if he leaves for Boston, he won't be very closet to his kids, so his sentiment will turn out to be untrue. But this shouldn't surprise us, since he unretired after his last Yankee season to come play here, something that irked New Yorkers something fierce. We can't get pissed about something like that, he's already done it once to our benefit.

All in all, we got to see one of the greatest of all time at a reasonable price averaged over the two years, with no extensive bickering over money, playing time, "disrespect" etc. you sometimes see from aging superstars. Frankly, I'm glad it has played out the way it has.

7. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Roger gave us 2 great years, it was a pleasure to go to MM and watch him pitch. If he does leave or retire, I say Good Luck!!

The guy gives all he has, all the time and you cant ask for anything more. If he wants to play he will command a big contract, the guy is coming off an awesome year with a microscopic ERA a Cy Young the previous year.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

As long as he goes to an AL team, I'm ok with it...I wish he'd stay here, but if not, I can't wait to beat his ass...