1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Classless Act by Houston

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by TurtleBonzi, Jan 25, 2009.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I read his mind by interpreting the actions of his body. He's stepping over someone and wants to accomplish this by putting that foot straight down on whatever it may land on rather than taking a longer-than-usual stride because there's a body right under me!

I'm not saying the kid is a punk; I am saying he did it deliberately. I doubt he even knew he would be stepping on someone's face-- any body part would do.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

misstep my ass. you people need to pull your head out of the sand. It was obviously intentional and the kid may not have been a punk before, but he certainly is one now.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed.

DD

4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I think it's at least debatable. Watching the replay... over and over... it looks to me like:

1) he definitely is trying to disrespect the guy, stepping over his face nonchalantly.

2) his foot hits the guy's arm, so it impedes his progress and he falls short of clearing the guys face.

Now, I think he was trying to be a punk stepping over him like that. He could have avoided him altogether, but he was "swaggering" and it ended badly.

Could I be wrong? Sure. That's just how it looked to me. Just because it happened doesn't make it completely deliberate, but just because it might not have been completely deliberate doesn't preclude it being a punk move.

All the above said, I think the suspension was deserved. Should have been a better sport, and avoided the guy, instead of flaunting his hubris, and it would never have happened.

5. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

6. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

FBI looking into racially charged calls, e-mails to Houston's Aubrey Coleman

Updated: January 28, 2009, 5:00 PM ET
    FBI investigating calls, e-mails
    Comment Email Print
    By Andy Katz
    ESPN.com
    Archive

University of Houston officials said the FBI is investigating racially charged e-mails and calls directed toward the Cougars basketball team, and specifically junior guard Aubrey Coleman after he was ejected for a flagrant foul in last Saturday's overtime loss at Arizona when he appeared to step on Chase Budinger's face.

FBI special agent Pat Villafranca out of the Houston FBI media office said Wednesday as a matter of policy it doesn't confirm or deny an investigation. But a member of the Houston media relations staff did say Wednesday that there was an FBI presence at the school.

Houston coach Tom Penders said that Coleman, and members of the team, have been getting "very ugly" e-mails over the incident.

"There's been a lot of racial slurs," said Coleman, who is black. Budinger is white. "It's crazy. I saved the e-mails. I haven't been contacted, but I do know the police and the FBI were at the practices to make sure everything was safe."

Coleman was suspended for Wednesday night's game against UTEP by Conference USA.

A Conference USA spokesperson said Wednesday that the information presented to the league office supported Coleman being suspended under the league's sportsmanship policy. Courtney Morrison-Archer of C-USA said that the league office agreed with the official call on the court last Saturday of Coleman being ejected for a flagrant foul. A flagrant foul of this nature was cause for a violation of the sportsmanship policy.

Penders said he's not going to question C-USA's decision. But Penders and Coleman dispute the intent. Coleman said he was surprised by the suspension because he said the issue had been "blown out of proportion with everyone saying I was the bad guy."

"I've been very depressed on how the public and the media put this out, like I did it on purpose," Coleman said. "I wish it didn't happen. I'm not that type of person. Chase is a great player and I would never try to do that."

Penders said Coleman is being unfairly vilified by the way the video was edited and shown nationally. Budinger was taking a charge on Coleman late in regulation at midcourt. Penders said Coleman was trying to see what the call was when he looked back and wasn't looking down when he stepped on Budinger.

"He attempted to step over Chase; at no time did he mean to hurt the kid," Penders said. "It's clear on the replay that he never touches his face, but his shoulder."

Coleman said he thought Budinger was flopping on the play. He said he thought it was going to be a block, not a charge. He said he looked up, reacted, and then "I tried to step over him. He knows it was his shoulder. I even rolled my ankle [trying to avoid] him. I wanted to see if he was OK, but he was up on me," he said.

Arizona interim coach Russ Pennell said Wednesday that the Wildcats considered the matter closed once Coleman issued a public apology and then was suspended by C-USA. But Pennell disputed Coleman's claims that he didn't hit Budinger's face.

"He definitely clipped his face and then his foot slid to his shoulder," Pennell said. "Was he aiming for his face? I don't know. But it's hard to believe that he was trying to step over him."

Coleman and Penders also challenge that Coleman was celebrating after being ejected, despite what was shown on the edited highlight. Coleman said teammate Nick Mosley came up to him and patted him on the shoulder and that's when "I smiled, shook his hand and walked to the locker room. The crowd was going crazy."

Coleman said he wasn't high-fiving teammates or celebrating that he had been ejected. Penders asked rhetorically why Coleman, the team's leading scorer, would want to get ejected or celebrate it with the Cougars ahead with 9:51 left in the game?

Arizona declined to make Budinger available for comment.

Coleman said he will be on the bench for Wednesday's game. He said he wants to focus on his return Saturday at Memphis.

"I apologized," Coleman said. "I know I didn't do this intentionally."

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Coleman is a liar and just didn't realize what the consequences would be for doing something this trashy. He made his own bed and has to sleep in it. (Obviously the people threatening him are also trash).

Penders is on crack and I can't wait for him to go. Didn't like him UT either. He just rubs me the wrong way.

8. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

if you walk over a guy, you better be damn sure you don't step ONTO the guy's face. he wasn't even looking down. he knew exactly what he was doing.

9. sabesque

sabesque Member

I just would like to reiterate (after two 30 point games) that AC is a player.

10. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

I rarely post.....but yeah that was sickening watching that ****. I graduated from UH in 1999, so hearing about this really infuriates me!

Oh, and Sabesque, you're logic is for a lack of a better word, ****ED UP. Go play on the train tracks behind UH or something.

- Sushimaster

11. sabesque

sabesque Member

Small wonder why you never post.

And thanks for showing an example of what good logic should be. How about including any sort of argument at all? You barely even posted an opinion.

12. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

True, I didn't provide an argument. I feel other members on this board have provided arguments which are aligned with mine. And I have read your responses to them. So therefore I felt no reason to list mine, as it would have just been redundancy. Sorry I wasn't very clear.

My opinions listed are:

A. That was very sickening to watch
    B. I've read your responses and I think that "Your logic is F___ed Up"
    C. I think that "You should go play on the train tracks behind UH"

- Sushimaster

13. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

9/11 was very sickening to watch. Someone accidentally doing something isn't. Go back to your hole. And go play on I-45 right now.

14. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

way to represent houston huh...... he should be kicked off the team and anyone else on who high-fived him should too.

15. DreamRoxCoogFan

while i do think it was intentional, the high five thing was COMPLETELY out of context... the 2 events took place about 5 minutes apart, and the five was more of a "we got this" thing, rather than a 'good job'. ESPN just spliced the clips together and made it look like something totally different.

16. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Know what you're talking about before you comment. No one high-fived him for accidentally stepping on his face.

17. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

ok my bad... it was a low five. rolleyes*

on the video you could clearly see the punk ass smiling his ass off after the stepping on the that guys head and a teammate coming up to him after he was ejected to give him a five. Maybe the guy he stepped on was a douche but you don't do that esp. on national T.V.

18. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

It was sickening to watch as a fan of basketball, in the context of Basketball/Sports sportmanship.....last I checked, we are in a basketball forum discussing basketball related topics.

And then you bring in 9/11......WTF does 9/11 have anything to do with this???? What kind of moron are you?

If I didn't know any better, I would say you are Sabesque's clutchfans alter ego coming on here to post under a different name. Because you two have the same F___ed up logic! Either that or you're siblings.

- Sushimaster

19. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

You are an idiot. Do some research. You have no clue about the event.

20. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

You don't know any better, moron. And you're not a sushimaster.