1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Classic Cars: Anybody own, interested in, have knowledge of them?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Dec 3, 2014.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have a 2012 Kia Optima that I leased.
    I got a great deal when I leased it because Kia was trying to buy my business.
    I have 3 payments left, and a buyout price that is below the FMV.
    I currently plan on selling it and profiting a bit on the buyout.

I only drive 4k-6k miles per year and was looking for something with a little more pizzaz.

I love the look and feel of a classic car, but haven't spent much time with them at all. Given my low mileage I thought it could be something that might work for me. But I'm still not really interested in driving a manual, which can be an issue. I don't need a sedan per see, but a backseat, even if 2 door, is ideal.

Since I know so little about classic cars, how painful upkeep is, what pricing should be at, I'm at a bit of a loss where to start. I've been looking at classiccars.com. Something like this:

http://classiccars.com/listings/vie...irebird-for-sale-in-new-braunfels-texas-78132

I suspect it is probably a bit overpriced... though also suspect if I do make this move I am likely to end up in something a bit overpriced out of prudence to make sure I'm not getting a lemon from some random dude.

Anyone on here have experience??

Is it a HUGE headache?

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You should probably only look at a Restomod. This would be a classic that has been gone over but the outmoded parts replaced with modern ones. It will have fuel injection, also the suspension, brakes and transmission will have been replaced with modern versions that actually work, air conditioning etc.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, lulz. Huge headache. You cant have a classic car as your daily driver. Positives - it'll maintain value and if you're putting so few miles on it you might get away with insurance that's so low of a price it'd blow your mind but you'll make up for it in gas. You cant even get like a 96 sports car and expect to drive it daily.

I had a 2 mile commute once and would drive my classic on Fridays. Now I have a 20 mile commute and I wouldn't even think about driving it up, ever. Not in Houston traffic/heat. I once asked about an AC problem where the air would only blow downward on a classic car forum and the response was "stop bragging about how good your AC is".

#3 Ziggy, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

1930 Model A. Obviously can't drive it most places. It was willed to me, but it's shared by everyone in my grandpa's family. Most of the time the vehicle isn't even in my possession... but technically it is mine.

It has to be babied of course. Fortunately for me, my dad and uncle's have handled all the expenses. They're in a few Model A clubs and that's where they find all the advice and expertise to maintain it.

Many years ago my dad had a beautiful 1970 Formula 400 Firebird. All original Pontiac parts inside and out, all in great condition. But he did have the engine tuned up a bit because why not. It was great but was costly to maintain. After 5 or so years he sold it (so he could buy a boat - my mom wouldn't let him have both). It was great though and despite it being something of a time and money suck, I know he doesn't regret it at all.

::EDIT::

But my dad never used it as a daily driver....

#4 Haymitch, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  5. JayZ750

Hmmm... what I suspected, unfortunately.

I hadn't heard the term restomod... but sounds like what I'd be interested in.... probably still a pain in the ass, though.

My daily commute is 4.5 miles each way... but it's not like i'll have 0 days where i drive more than that. every once in a while i have to drive to dallas or houston or san antonio. maybe 4-5 times a year.

sounds like a no go for that.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I've owned a couple of old 60's era Mustangs, one with AC and power steering/brakes. They're a pain in the ass. No way you should use it as a daily driver. A Sunday car is more like it. They're just not reliable enough to depend on at all.

Good news is that if you have the time you can fix most things yourself.

7. Bandwagoner

what is your car history? Have you ever had to check the fluids, identify what is leaking or make simple repairs? GM cars from that period are complete pieces of crap. One with an LS engine, and new brakes would solve a ton of problems but done correctly would possibly be out of your price range. Transmissions and brakes don't regularly fail and leak like they did in the 70's and 80's. Cars have come a long ways. I would say exclude anything that isn't a restomod.

8. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Maybe you can find one that is relatively affordable and then drive it on certain days only. Then also get a cheaper car for your longer commutes (Fit, Corolla, etc.).

9. JayZ750

Unfortunately, it's not a matter of can I do it, it's do I have time to do it. And the answer to the last is definitely no. Too many little kids running around...haha.

Clearly, this is why you see so many male empty nesters, with them, and not a lot of younger folk.

Thanks for all the thoughts. Best advice is probably if I really want one now, to have a real cheap secondary ride...

I'll think on it. Thanks all!

10. Bandwagoner

Your Kia is way safer than any classic car with lap belts and drum brakes. No air bags..........

11. JayZ750

Yeah... kids are never in my car as is. we've got a 2015 yukon for that...

The thought was literally since I drive about 10 miles a day, if that, no kids, etc.

12. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Only way to own a classic as a DD would be if you yourself are a mechanic. If you have no working knowledge of automobiles, and can't do the work/problem solving yourself, stay away.

Especially stay away if you want a car that's carbureted. If you can't tune a carb yourself, my prayers would be with you if you decided to be a car fueled by one.

13. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dodge Challenger's current model? Has the classic look, but wouldn't be too much of a hassle maintaining it.

14. MystikArkitect

As a toy it's cool. As your primary? Lord no.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

After having watched a lot of the restoration and car building shows on the various cable networks, I've seriously been considering getting a "classic" car. No way it'd be my daily driver, though. I doubt I'll get one for another 10 years, either. I was looking more at body styles from the 50's like a Tri-Five BelAir. I really have no intention of keeping it original, though. I'd modernize the interior, drop a crate motor into it, etc. Some of the bodystyles from the 1930's are drop-dead gorgeous. Cars like the Duesenberg or Packards are sweet looking cars but no way I could buy a Duesenberg nor would want to drive that monstrosity. :grin:

It's amazing that growing up, I thought all those cars were old and stupid looking, but now cars like the BelAir or C1 Vettes are beautiful vehicles to me.

16. Buck Turgidson

'47 Willys Army Jeep. Not even close to street legal but fun as hell on the ranch. Simple to work on, like cars should be.

Anyone have any experience with an El Camino? I've always wanted one.

17. Bandwagoner

51' cadillac? Put in an LS. The chrome is just ridiculous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Is there any besides Wheeler Dealers? The others that I've tried don't have nearly as much wrenching/informational stuff as their descriptions would lend me to believe. Car makeover shows usually bounce between HR pieces about the owner and manufactured drama between the restorers.

19. Bandwagoner

Overhaulin

not as good as wheeler dealers. WD isn't really about classic though.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

There's a show called Counting Cars that I watch sometimes. They flip cars and motorcycles.