1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clarification on Rockets Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JuanValdez, May 22, 2003.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

There is some confusion regarding the status of the Rockets pick, caused -- in part -- by me. So, I figured I'd start a thread to help people decide which information is more true.

I used to research draft picks for RealGM and wrote the piece about the Rockets having to pay their own pick to Memphis or another pick in the top-13. At the time, it was the best information to be had, imo. However, more recently, Clutch published his clarification (http://www.clutchcity.net/news.cfm?NewsID=1098) on the subject which says that it has to be our pick, no matter what. I believe Clutch's information over the information I myself had previously collected and published. Here's why:

1. First round draft pick trades -- especially lotto picks -- are usually pretty complicated.

2. This Rockets pick was especially complicated. It had protections and options that changed from year to year, making what clause was in effect at what time pretty complicated.

3. Picks are generally poorly reported on. The only public source is usually beat writers and they don't all have a very good grasp on all the minutae of these picks. They also are not told everything by the teams. It was not uncommon for me, when I worked for RealGM, to get contradicting stories or to have to amend (frequently) the conditions I reported.

4. The Rockets wouldn't tell me anything very specific about the pick. Feigen didn't like taking to me either and wouldn't return messages. I did correspond with Stickney and some writers in other parts of the country, but they weren't ideally positioned to know.

5. But, Clutch's source is someone in the Rockets organization. His source is more reliable than mine.

6. Also, his information is more recent. There is less possibility that his source was confused by clauses that applied in previous years. The top-13 clause and the within-2 clause were both things that did apply to the pick in the past. My sources may have been confused as to whether they applied in 2003.

What I'm saying is that I had made as sure as I could that I got the right conditions for the Rockets, but tracking draft picks was a tricky thing that abounded in misinformation. So, I think it is likely I was mistaken and it is the safer bet to accept Clutch's word on this one.

Here's his article:

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What would make it all even stranger is if the Rockets somehow traded for the Detroit pick (from Memphis) this year. If it's a top ten pick, some kind of Eddie Griffin + for that pick deal. Memphis would get our #13 pick, we'd get their higher pick.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I just hope next year's Lottery is not on Rocket radar.

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Alright, so if we hit the jackpot, it'll be like we have Steve Francis instead of Lebron James?

Eh...too early too tell, I guess.

This is gonna be the one lotto I hope the Rockets don't win jack-sh*t.

5. SLA

SLA Member

Thanks for clarifying. ;)