1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clarett a linebacker?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by drapg, Jan 5, 2003.

1. drapg

drapg Member

Clarett: I want to be an outside linebacker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

Ohio State's Maurice Clarett drew attention on and off the field this week leading into the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.

And even with the Buckeyes' 31-24 double-overtime victory over the Hurricanes on Friday, things didn't change much for the sophomore running back.

"I want to play defense next year," Clarett told The Cleveland Plain Dealer. "I'm too much of an athlete just to play on one side of the ball."

Clarett led Ohio State in rushing and scoring this season, but he told the newspaper he wants to try a spot at outside linebacker. Clarett's 5-yard touchdown run in the second extra session Friday helped seal the national title for the Buckeyes.

Chris Gamble has been effective for Ohio State, successfully playing both wide receiver and cornerback.

But can Clarett accomplish the same?

According to the report, Ohio State's offensive unit might not be able to lose a player as talented as Clarett, who also missed three full games this season with injuries.

Clarett openly showed his frustrations with Ohio State in the 10 days leading up to the Fiesta Bowl after he was not allowed to fly home for a friend's funeral on Dec. 30.

When OSU said Clarett failed to file the proper paperwork for the trip, he said those forms had been completed and that OSU's administration perpetrated a "lie . . . to make me look stupid."

The 19-year-old from Youngstown also added that "football is more important than life to (Ohio State). He added that he didn't have any affection toward Ohio State and that his motivation was playing for his teammates and coaches. Another contradiction?

As his teammates and coaches celebrated inside Sun Devil Stadium, Clarett reportedly made a quick exit with family and friends.

"This doesn't mean anything to me," Clarett told the Plain-Dealer. "I just want to go home."

You just can't take chances with a running back, especially at a position where tackles occur constantly, like linebacker. I know the guy wants to help the team more, but they did just win the MNC without his help on defense.

Still, an interesting idea.

2. EddieGriffin

EddieGriffin Member

It's one thing to play receiver/corner or O-Line/D-Line but completely different to play running back/linebacker. Considering how Clarrett was already injured this year, I doubt Ohio State would let him play both sides, especially playing a physical position like linebacker.

3. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Again this kid is a media hog. I love Maurice and what he helped my Buckeyes do but he has issues:
    1. He says he dislikes the media in Columbus for reporting everything but then he:

A. Tells SI he may go pro
    B. This whole funeral thing
    C. This crap

Oh well I just hope Tressel can rub off on him

4. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Yet another case of a man's talent with a child's mind. Hey if he pulls it off, that's great. I just hope he does it with a little modesty.

5. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Actually I think it would benefit him to play linebacker. He would know what a linebacker looks for and would become a much better running back and vice versa. I'm doing the same thing right now in school and there's no better way to improve at a position than to play the opposite. As far as injuries go, I wouldn't be too worried about injuries occuring while playing linebacker because everyone isn't really gearing to take you out as opposed to running back where you're getting hit from all sides.

6. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Not to be a jackhole but playing on two sides of the ball in highschool is not even remotely comparable to one of the world's great football talents deciding to play on both sides of the ball at ohio state. But I bet it gets you laid at Klein, eh?

7. Michael19P

Michael19P Member

I think it speaks very poorly of Clarett that he brought this out to the media a day or two after winning the BCS. Such an issue should be handled internally, and, if the school wants it to be publicized, then it should be released to the media. The guy makes one strip, and he thinks he will become a great defensive player :rolleyes: . I didn't like his interview after the game. The ESPN commentator said something like "one of the most memorable moments in bowl history," and Clarett obviously agreed. It was nice, but it doesn't exactly indicate great defensive skills. If you reach for the ball like that without going for the body, 99% of the time the guy breaks away and runs for a touchdown.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If that were the case, how come he hangs out here enough to rack up over 1200 posts?;)

9. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I'm not sure if he could handle it. A running back needs to be able to go all out everytime he gets the ball. Playing linebacker and Running back will hurt his production at running back in my opinion. He is a early heisman favorite he should just stick to that.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Clarett is an idiot for even thinking about this.

He gets 25+ carries a game, and has a few nagging injuries, already as a freshman. He would pass out, if he played RB and LB, by the 3rd Q. I think he wants to do it, just because of that Gamble guy playing WR/CB, and he's jealous of the attention Gamble gets for it.

Clarett should consider losing some weight, and being a little more of a finesse back. Obviously, he's awesome right now, but if he continues to be the same type of RB, he will not last very long. Hell, he might not get out of college all that healthy. Look what Ricky Williams did, after shedding 25+ lbs. It's better to get 5 yards, by dodging tacklers, than earning 5 yards by dragging DL and LBs.