1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Claim: * A Michigan professor sent an e-mail telling Muslim students to leave

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IzakDavid13, Jun 28, 2012.

1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/wichman.asp

[​IMG]

Your thoughts?

And also your thoughts on the terrorist affiliated CAIR organisation?

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I realize he's an engineer (some of those types are blunt as hell), but surely he realizes the irony of this statement?

You know, trying to stifle speech that is trying to stifle speech isn't some magic-ass candy grab that turns two wrongs into a right.

3. IzakDavid13

Don't look at this from an us against Islam point of view, but more from an us against political correctness gone mad point of view.

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I don't understand what the hell the obsession is with "political correctness" in this context, in most places, you Islam-bash, you are applauded (as is the case here). It takes nearly nothing from the professor in terms of courage. At worst, some Islamic crazy sends a death threat.

Courage is exposing the crimes of the real crooks where your views are decidedly not welcome and you can be punished for them by the system itself. That takes a lot more. Some people put their life on the line just so dirty laundry is aired out (Bradley Manning). That is fighting "political correctness" gone wrong.

5. IzakDavid13

I believe that Islam is one of, if not the biggest threat facing the civilised world today. I would go as far to call it the scourge of society.

But with all my happy feelings with the upcoming draft, I decided to tone it down a bit.:)

1 person likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I disagree with these parts of what the professor says:

That is wrong because he is basically indicting Muslims for being Muslims, and his statement could be understood as calling ALL Muslims "dissatisfied, aggressive, brutal, and uncivilized slave-trading", which is completely out of line, unfair and an incorrect generalization.

That does sound like he "has it in" for ALL Muslims. I understand why he said what he said, but he went overboard. It sounds xenophobic.

Had he just said "those of you who do not respect our laws and our understanding of free speech are free to leave", that would have been okay. But the way he phrased it, he is just basically going too far and being unfair to all those Muslims who do respect free speech, laws and non-Muslims.

So while I can see where he is coming from, I think his mail was wrong the way he sent it and his claim that he thought it was just going to one student is really not supported by the wording in the mail (he addresses the whole association and speaks in generic terms about Muslims).

I think he could not have complained had he been reprimanded.

1 person likes this.