1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CJ the GREAT!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Nov 5, 2023.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm not sure we can crown CJ after nine games and then dismiss Lawrence for only being good in ~ 9 games - especially when Urban Meyer was his rookie year HC

And that's the thing with CJ: it's nine games. We can't get too far ahead of ourselves. If Jacksonville called and offered Lawrence, the Texans would say no - but I think we'll really need years to know if that is the right decision. I wouldn't give up on Lawrence.

Pbev99 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Clemson fan here who watched every single one of Trevor's college games. I honestly think he was overrated as an NFL prospect.

His freshman year was magical because he didn't choke, made good throws and was worthy of having the keys to a Cadillac of a team. 30-3 and 44-16 will never be forgotten!

His second year, he didn't go next level and was quite disappointing IMO. The roster was great again but Trevor actually regressed.

His final year, Travis Etienne wasn't there and, IMO, Trevor was exposed. The narrative on his NFL potential never changed because his measurables were so outstanding and his highlights plays were breathtaking. But watching him game-to-game every play, it was clear to me he wasn't a "generational prospect".

People here will hate me for this, but I want the Jags to succeed because of Trevor and Travis. That said, I'm a realist and Trevor just isn't as good as people think. He doesn't process well at times and makes terrible mistakes reading defenses in the worst moments. His elite athleticism, arm strength, highlight plays and Doug Peterson should carry him a long way though. I want the Texans to win the division, but I'm glad the Jags are the alternative. (For the record, I historically despise the Jags).

Bottom line: I believe CJ is definitely a better long term prospect than Trevor and believe the vast majority of NFL teams would agree. 9 games is more than enough at this point.

Hey Now! likes this.
  3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I think it's safe to say CJ Stroud has exceeded expectations of even the CJ pre draft fans quite honestly... can you take for a moment and imagine that we picked Bryce Young with the first pic and then we have to watch a generational talent slip away on the second pic.... close your eyes and imagine that scenario- I honestly think we were very very very close to it and now I can't believe we have CJ

I'm seeing him everywhere , national sports, all the shows, I'm even seeing him on Fox News out of the blue ... this dude is Peyton Manning level processing without the interceptions, he's that guy every team is going to fear having a close game at the end of the fourth quarter that we feared with other big name quarterbacks- CJ is generational - I'm calling it now - I had the opportunity to visit extended family and Houston last weekend and of course watching the game with my
    Cousin was one of the highlights- this is a special moment, so definitely embrace it!

Blatz likes this.
  4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I don't think I could handle what the Panther fans are going through right now. I can't even imagine what the Panther fans who wanted CJ prior to the draft are dealing with. Hard drugs and alcohol maybe?

houstonstime and ROXRAN like this.
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

My best friend and 49er fan told me he actually felt sorry for me/us after the KC loss, Hopkins trade, Culley signing. And I felt as low for this team as ever. I felt like nothing could possibly be this bad for a team, so laughable…
    I truly don’t think I could handle what the Panthers fans are dealing with. It feels even worse than anything we have. Only difference is theirs had bad luck on top of the dysfunction. But we had a sexual predator added to our dysfunction sooooo man, either way it sucks.

Blatz likes this.
  6. Qan

Qan Member

Whatever man...we had to deal with 3 down and out years, of which 2 were badly dysfunctional. Panthers just started. I'll feel bad on their 3rd year.

They should not give up on Bryce just yet.

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

That’s fair. I’m also projecting how I’d feel after already going through what we have, haha. It’s so nuts because this is such a Texans thing that’s happening to the panthers haha.

Blatz likes this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Go ahead and give up on Bryce Carolina. He might make a good backup.

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

10. Aware

Aware Member

i thank god for bringing cj into my life

thank you, big guy

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Who’s Big Guy? Lovie?

12. Qan

Qan Member

Well CJ probably no longer going to win MVP with this game, well not completely out. I guess I won't live to see a rookie win MVP

13. Buck Turgidson

Every QB has a bad game.

Every Rookie QB has many bad games.

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a bit of a knee jerk reaction from one game.
    Even Mahomes had 3 INT last week. There are still 6 games to go. CJ is close to 3,000 YDS already, and most guys with almost as many yards have 8 INT or more.

IBTL likes this.
  15. Qan

Qan Member

I recognize that he still have the chance. I'm just saying CJ is fighting uphill battle to win MVP because he has the rookie stigma.
    He needs great stats and Texans to win division with 11+ games to have a chance.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It will definitely be a reach, but if anyone has a chance it could be him. Without CJ we would be screwed. It's not like a great team who can win with crappy or mediocre QBs like the Browns or others. CJ is a top contender for Most Valuable Player, but yes, we just need to keep winning and he needs to do what he does best the next 6 games. If he blows away the other QBs in stats it would be hard to deny him that honor.