1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Circuit City files for bankruptcy protection

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Asian Sensation

Did you ask him if there's a stick under the $20 dollar sticker that said $10.00 ? :D

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Anyone been in to look at console's and games/accessories?

Thinking about buying a Wii and this might be a good time. 10% off or more would be pretty decent if they actually have any in stock still.

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I bought a ps3 remote and dualshock controller for 30% off, but that's about it...most of the accessories have been picked over...I also bought some steering wheels for the wii...Well, i bought a PS3 for my bedroom for 10% off...

everything else is still too expensive...basically, they put most of the stuff at regular price and then took 10%,etc...I'd be interested in a Sony DSLR for the right price, but I don't think they'll go down that much...

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Same here, gotta Circuit City card I bought my last computer with. Itd be nice if the balance would disappear along with the store :D I'm thinking it'd transfer over to the bank just without the CC name. But then these days who knows if the bank might be next to go following CC on out

5. Jayou

Jayou Member

I just got back from the Meyerland Circuit City, and the employees were lazy as hell. I got 12 CDs and 2 360 games; the checkout guy only charged me for 10 CDs, and the door check guy barely glanced at my bag and receipt.

The pickings are still good at that location.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I saw one as I was driving down Mopac in Austin -- utter overflowing madhouse in the parking lot.

Pass x10

7. Steve_Francis_rules

I went yesterday and picked up an XBOX 360 at a 20% discount.

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

which location?

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I went to a CC here for kicks... I saw an Onkyo 806 for something like $800-$900 when you can get the thing online for at least $150-$250 cheaper. Some guys were leaving the area shaking their heads and I just started laughing. Another guy was talking to one of his buddies and saying "it was cheaper before they marked it up and discounted it!"

Ah well, I still saw nothing at this particular CC that I'd want which was also at any reasonable discount.

10. TheBigAristotle

You would think the deals would be way better since you know... it's CH 11 BANKRUPTCY. Ol' Circuit City, lol.

11. Jayou

Jayou Member

You FAIL for not paying attention. See posts #62 and 63 for an explanation on how liquidation sales work. It's been all over the news. :rolleyes:

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I went to a Circuit City last week and they didn't have too many great deals. I was going to buy a combo VHS DVD player / recorder for about $150 but it was the display model and they couldn't find the AC adaptor for it. I might check back again in a week or two to see if there are better deals.

I also stopped by a Cost Plus World Market which is also going out business and they had some pretty good deals. I got a sushi set for half price.

13. Steve_Francis_rules

I actually live in the Boston area, so I don't think it would help you much.

14. Rookie

Rookie Contributing Member

An article from our local (Tyler Texas) TV station website.

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=9763579

Buyers beware liquidation sales

Posted: Jan 30, 2009 05:41 PM CST

By Morgan Chesky - email

Posted by Ellen Krafve - email

Circuit City, Goody's and Linens-N-Things were all forced to shut their doors, but not before big liquidation sales promise shoppers big discounts. Art Betancourt knew just what he wanted.

" showed up today lookin' for a new video camera or a camcorder," said Betancourt.

But instead of buying that new camera from Circuit City, he will actually be paying a liquidation firm like Hudson Capital Partners, one of four firms who've split the bill on Circuit City's remaining 1.7 billion dollars worth of merchandise.

"They're either hiring liquidators to come in and liquidate the products or they are selling they're whole inventory to these liquidator sales," explained Linda Bailey of the Better Business Bureau.

To show how liquidators make going out of business a business, we chose four Circuit City sale items to see how much you're really saving.

First up, a fifty inch Panasonic HD TV being liquidated at $1,499 at Circuit City. We found the same TV, everything included, for just under $1000 at zoommania.com.

Next, we looked at a Canon Camcorder at Circuit City, slashed to $719.99. At Tiger Direct.com the identical camera was eighty bucks cheaper.

For Superbowl shoppers, we priced a 52 inch Samsung TV, a twenty percent Circuit City liquidation discount put it a little over $2300, while shop.com lists it at $2148.99, saving you over $150.

Finishing up, we checked on a one terabyte external hard drive, on sale at Circuit City it listed around $230, but at adorama.com the same hardrive was a different price, weighing in at two hundred bucks.

The internet isn't the only place you'll find the price difference. We came to Best Buy and found a fifty inch Samsung TV for $1499. At Circuit City the identical TV will cost you $100 more.

So buyer beware. Whether it is Circuit City, Goody's or Linens-N-Things, any store liquidators operate the same. They advertise big discounts but not before raising prices. The prices may eventually get cut rate low but for now the best advice is do your homework.

While our price comparson did show better deals can be had if you shop around, you should know prices at Circuit City continue to fall. TVs marked at ten percent off on Wednesday are now sitting with a twenty percent discount.

15. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

They had some things that were worth buying. Gaming accessories like controllers for Wii and PS3 that hardly go on sale were on sale. Most of the stuff dropped to around onlnie prices so it would be nice to get some things if you wanted it now.

They had things of interest for me were PS3 DS3 for 40 bucks, logitech driving force GT for 100 bucks or the wireless version for 70 bucks. I decided to wait a bit longer for the prices to drop. Hopefully there is still some stuff in stock. They had a lot of world tour kits at 150 so far but right now it's 139 at Toys r us so hopefully it'll drop a bit more.