1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Circuit City files for bankruptcy protection

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

See response #51.

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://consumerist.com/5133369/consumers-faq-to-the-circuit-city-liquidation

Are liquidation sales good places to find bargains?

No. Most of the time the liquidator raises all the prices back to their original number and starts marking down from there, with the markdowns getting steeper week by week. He's still allowed to make big signs that scream 50% OFF!!!! even though that price at the time might be the same or even higher than the price before the liquidation. By the time prices actually get below what they were pre-liquidation, most of the inventory has been picked pretty clean. Except for the most dedicated bargain sleuths, liquidation sales are a ripoff.

3. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fMiBVlXctM8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fMiBVlXctM8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Why all the negative talk? I picked up plenty of great deals last go round. 10 dollar blu-ray and 2 logitech remotes.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So.... What do they have? What are the deals?

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The one i visted today was 10-30% off. 10% off everything. 20% for CD's and 30% on office furniture.

The store was pretty crowded and there was a nice line of people checking out. Most of the good stuff was about 25% overpriced. Im not sure why anyone would buy TV's or other costly electronics with no store warranty.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So even things like PS3, IPOD and TVs are discounted? The manufacturers warranty is safe and you can buy 3rd party warranties for cheaper than CC's protection plans.

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If it was there, it was 10% off. I doubt they had any PS3's. Didn't check the IPODS. All game titles and accessories were 10% off. Even though the TV's were 10% off, they were way over priced.

Im wouldn't be worried about the long term warranties as much as I would be worried about getting home and it not working. I'd be a bit ticked if I had to go through the mfg. because it was DOA.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is the one off I-10 near Gessner open? Did it ever open?

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no, its not and never will open, but to be fair, it replaced another older one across the highway

11. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

I am going to check out the Circuit City in San Francisco later this week b/c I need a new laptop for school.

Any suggestions?

I plan on doing some research on the prices, but don't know if I am going to have all that time w/ my Con Law and Contracts readings being so damn long and having to fill out job apps! :mad: I don't want to get ripped off though! :(

The laptop I have right now (compaq presario 3400) is still fast and runs good. But the power jack breaks off easly so in essence it becomes a desktop b/c I can't really move it around from fear of it break (already had twice).

But I plan on keeping it at home so I can watch Rockets games and have it for everyday non-school use.

The new laptop is going to be keep pretty much for school related items. So only thing I plan on putting on it are Microsoft products (word, PP, outlook, excel) and maybe AIM. Thats it.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated!

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A real estate buddy of mine here in Dallas went to one and said don't bother going to the one he went to because most of the prices he looked at were jacked up. Surprise, surprise.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well.... go... look at price.... come home... compare price on Internet for same or similar model. :D Be wary of ones that are demo models people have beat up while on display. I believe "all sales are final", too.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Great Video, that sums up Liquidation "sales".

15. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Damn that video really did sum it all up! LOL!

I don't know if I should give it a month or so and see if prices come down or go to Amazon.com or Best Buy!

Tough decisions!

16. Rookie

Rookie Contributing Member

I went to the CC in Tyler yesterday. Furniture and cables were 30% off. Everything else 10% off. No great deals yet.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, you really need to go in on one of the very last days before they shut the doors to scoop up some super deal.

18. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i actually have a circuit city credit card that was regular visa card, that card was backed by chase is that card going to be no longer valid? I dont use it and do not have a balance on it but it is one of my higher balance limit cards and i just want to know if its gone if I should open another card so it wouldnt be adverse to my credit score. i only have 3 credit cards, 2 have no balance on them so it would be like 1/3 of my available credit via cards is gone.

maybe i should call chase i just hate sitting through customer service though

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

just talked to someone who got $120 wireless keyboard for $20.

20. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

fwiw, i was at Katy Mills' store today, got 1600 MS 360 points cards for $14 each, and a blue controller battery pack for $2.77

the guy at the register said that most of the console accessories were mistakenly marked down 30% instead of 10%, dunno if its everywhere or just at that location.