1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Tom Cruise's ‘Edge Of Tomorrow’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Dec 11, 2013.

1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Please use spoiler tags if discussing things like the ending.

2. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Not really. Hollywood wants movies to make at least twice their budget to be worth their time. It needed to make $380M (2x the budget plus marketing costs) to make the studio happy. Other than Mission Impossible, Cruise is done for Americans, however overseas he's fine.

Oblivion was okay. It needed to make $260M so it went $26M over the minimum.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hollywood wanted a happy ending.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It was good .. .too much shakey camera for me . . but still good 9/10

IMO, It is kind of like the Omega existed over a stretch of time . .. not just in one time period . . .which is why it could go back to a previous time . ..
    so . . . thinking of it linearly . . 1, 2,3,4,5,6 . . .where you can always go back to one . . .for most of the movie they were at 6 and went back to 4. Once the Omega was dead he was dead through the whole time frame .. .which set them back to one . . that is my .02.

Rocket River

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It is as much of a science fiction film as the Star Trek action movie reboots.

Shaky cam sucks. Walked out on blair witch.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ok, what do you mean specifically?

7. Bandwagoner

I consider it more of an action movie just like the Star Trek reboots. They aren't really SciFi (IMO) when you have constant shooting and punching people in the face.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They are based around fictional science so they are sci-fi. Action can be a sub genre of SciFi.

9. Bandwagoner

They are just based in the future to justify the crazy on screen action that wouldn't be possible otherwise. I just feel SciFi is more than just a futuristic MacGuffin.

I liked the avengers but I put comic book movies as a sub genre of action, not sci fi.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I thought he went back to save Blunt. Since he had the Omega blood he could go back to whatever point he wanted, and that was it.

11. Precision340

Precision340 Member

yeah, this didn't make sense to me either.. unless
    the omega wanted the humans to think that they've won and simply moved elsewhere to regroup for a future attack

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Possible

Rocket River

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great movie. Really thought Tom Cruise killed it.

1 person likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You seriously didn't consider it science fiction? Heck, or the new Star Trek flicks? I've been reading and watching SF since the 1950's, and I can assure anyone who's confused that Edge of Tomorrow is indeed science fiction, in spades.

15. Nero

Nero Member

It must be pretty grim to live on your planet.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Some people are under the mistaken belief that if something is entertaining it can't be science fiction.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Groundhog Day.

Same concept -- keep redoing the same day until you get it right. Even the same ideas of being prepared for an even to have the perfect reaction, using your knowledge of the immediate future to convince people, and leveraging all the extra time to learn skills in what would seem like a day. That the remake is an action movie instead of a romantic comedy makes it one of the move clever remakes out there, but I still think of it as a remake.

I define Sci-Fi as a work that looks at the philosophical implications of our growing understanding and manipulation of science. I think Star Trek (the show) often fell into this definition, though the movie reboot probably not so much. EoT maybe a little but the main premise is more fantasy than science. I wouldn't really call it SciFi because it doesn't have that relevance that a real scientific underpinning would give it. And, even if we grant the central fantasy, they don't give the implications much exploration. In this way, at least, Groundhog Day was more a scifi than this was.

Theory: The Omega rewinds 2 days instead of 1 and leaves Earth to avoid its destruction. The remaining betas are easily defeated without the support of the Omega and Alphas.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I could see that too. It sort of takes the love story out of it, but that isn't a horrible thing.

19. bigben69

bigben69 Member

20. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Not sure why the quote showed up like that.