1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Tom Cruise's ‘Edge Of Tomorrow’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Don't worry. It's closer to Groundhog Day than Source Code.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I liked the premise, but feel like it lacked a bit in delivery especially at the end. Still an enjoyable movie despite having Tom Cruise in it.

The way I saw it, by killing the Omega and having it's blood or whatever wash over him as he was dying, he somehow got the power to reset the day again, only this time when he did it, the Omega stayed dead. That would imply that while he kept repeating the day, some things were still linear. I guess he'll just keep having the power until someone gives him blood now.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Cruise sucks. Outside of MIP he's been worthless since Jerry Maguire.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Awesome movie. Didn't love the ending, but didn't dislike it either. Just a tad confusing. However, the movie was fun from start to finish and the action was great.

9/10 for me

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Ditto on the ending, felt a tad shoehorned but still a very impressive film.

6. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I kind of wrote off this movie fro being tired of seeing Tom Cruise in too many movies lately, and very few of them being worth watching. But with all the positive feedback, I'll have to check it out.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Me too, I was waiting to rent / download it. I'll have to catch it in the theaters now.

8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

It was a fun movie. But you know, maybe all the hype it was getting affected me. It just fell short of being truly great. I can see myself enjoying it more and more as I rewatch it, like Groundhog Day. But I feel the characters just didn't have enough depth to them. I would have liked to have understood their motivations a bit more. And every time the film reached a defining moment, the story pushed forward and the moment was lost. The supporting characters, well it seemed like I've met the same, but more memorable people, in other films. It is a movie that begs to be watched multiple times though, and I'll definitely do that.

Cruise is Cruise. But Emily Blunt is a badass. Wish there were more scenes of her wielding her blade.

9. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

That was the entire point of the movie....

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

From the commercials I thought someone decided to make a movie on a single video game premise - respawning in FPS games. I'm surprised to hear the positive reviews. Despite Cruise, I welcome any good sci fi flick.

11. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

gonna go watch it soon

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't think you need Clear-Sunshine Rundown-Solo Course Part 1-OT Preparations to appreciate quarter-to-half-a-billion dollar annual grosses with a producer's credit.

At this point he's Schwarzenegger with a better trainer and less political and entrepreneurial range.

13. VanityHalfBlack

The Fault in our stars is beating this at the box office, seriously? Where are my gaming nerds at? Show up!!!

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Teenage girls are more reliable box office.....lol. b**** movie training starts early.

15. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

just watched it

9/10. Ending wasnt good

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'm not sure why some people aren't able to separate Tom Cruise, the person, from Tom Cruise, the movie actor.

Anyway, the ending was okay with me.

At the end of the movie, I was invested in Cruise and Blunt's characters enough to accept that particular ending. I would have been fine if everyone involved in that skirmish (J-Squad + Cruise / Blunt) died to save humanity, but oh well. But as to why THAT particular moment in time, left me scratching my head. I guess because that was the last time he was in something of an "unconscious" state? i.e sleeping?

I didn't think Blunt was the right woman for this role going in, but I was wrong. She's such a smoking badass. I wish they would have expanded on her history just a tad more (and the histories of other characters, as another poster said), but I was content.

Great movie, though. This might have been in "All you need is Kill," but I really liked when Cruise decided not to include Blunt in his endeavors because he didn't want to see her die anymore.

This movie was very, very good. But it's going up against a new-age "The Notebook" and it has to face off against 22 JS and HtTYD 2 next weekend. Box office numbers don't look super good - maybe it should have come out 2 weeks from now, after the 2 sequels next week.

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Teen girls were all over the theater today when I went and watched EOT again.

This movie is going to turn into this summer's Pacific Rim, excellent film that doesn't get a real audience for no good reason...

1 person likes this.
  18. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I enjoyed the movie. The 3D looked pretty good. As usual, Tom Cruise does not disappoint. It did drag a bit towards the end, but I can forgive that.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I have a really hard time watching tom cruise movies, I can't take him seriously in action roles

20. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

The entire point of the movie was to sacrifice character development? Sorry no. Just a a little bit more here and there to flesh them out would have been nice.

Like when she mentioned what her middle name was. Would have thought that would have been used at another point, but it wasn't. At the very beginning, I don't think the General was all that clear why he was sending Cruise into the battle. Yeah to sell the war, sure. But you're sending a guy with no combat experience, no training, no idea how to use those suits into the first wave of that assault when he's already been doing a pretty damn good job of "selling" the war on tv? Just doesn't make sense unless there's something more there. Not to mention he's not sending him to cover the assault, but rather to fight. One moment Cruise, rather deflated, tells Blunt they never make it up the beach. Next scene they do. Was just anticipating something more there, anticipating his character maybe breaking down more. They did show him go essentially AWOL at one point, but I just felt like it was a little glossed over. I hate to compare it to Groundhog Day, but that film developed it's characters very well.

Nitpicks I guess and I did enjoy the movie. But, on first viewing, it wasn't "best movie of Summer" level for me.

1 person likes this.