1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Tom Cruise's ‘Edge Of Tomorrow’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Dec 11, 2013.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Star Wars is more fantasy (swords and sorcery) than sci-fi. Same thing with Dune.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Funny thing is they started bringing up the 'science' part of it with midiclorians or some such in the blood etc.

Rocket River

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The force is used less in the originals than space ships or blasters. It certainly has fantasy elements, but it is scifi.

4. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

Wait how do you classify Dune as fantasy, it delved quite a bit in the machinations and how things happened, (also the concepts of folding space, cloning, mastery of human capabilities through breeding, robotics).

Dune is staple sci-fi, I am curious as to what you consider sci-fi then, Foundations? Oryx and Crake?

5. No Worries

The fantasy element in Dune is the Bene Gesserit who have "magical" powers. I find the sci-fi story lines secondary to this.

Examples of clear cut sci-fi novels are The Mote in God's Eye and Ringworld (both by Larry Niven).

6. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

Wait what magical powers??? I am a huge Dune fan (Frank) most of their abilities if not all are through mastery of the human body (tone, muscle manipulation etc...) i guess the only stretch is the access to past lines but that is more sci-fi (dealing with genetics) than fantasy.

7. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

*pinky raised and eyebrow cocked* I find the liberal use of the word movie in this thread a total travesty and an affront to the ARTISTS who belabor to bring meaning to our human existence. *take off monocle and sip tea*

1 person likes this.
  8. No Worries

Movie good.
    Tom Cruise bad.

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am going to watch Dune today just to spite all the haters.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

This is now a Dune thread.

[​IMG]

11. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yoga or a "girlie push up"? You decide.

13. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

those biceps though

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They might be called "girlie push ups" but you can actually tone the hell out of your biceps that way if you do a ton of them slowly with proper form.

15. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

Great movie, although confusing at first.. will probably watch again when it's out on DVD.

16. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

The wife and I caught this on Saturday. We both enjoyed it. I haven't actually laughed out loud during a movie in a long time, and I did during this flick. Cruise did a great job on the character.

17. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well I finished reading the book, and weird as it may sound, it made me both like the movie more but also feeling more disappointed! The character development I was looking for I found in the book, and the end was much better. Not as happy, but it made more sense. I also liked the time travel explanations a little bit more in the book; made a little bit more sense.

As much as I like Tom Cruise the actor, and as good of a job as he did in this, I think the movie would have been a little better had they gotten someone younger that could be more true to the original character.

Standing on its own though, it's still a very good movie. But those feelings that something was missing, now I know why.

18. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I'm going to check the book out too. Might be a bit before I can get to it though.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I liked the movie, but the book was better. It didn't try to wrap up everything neatly(and happily) at the end. And it made more sense too. The way out of the time loop in the book was better explained(and voluntary). And I'm still trying to figure out how Cruise did what he did at the end of the movie.

20. Nero

Nero Member

Well, let's see..

The Omega had the ability to 'reset the day', but that ability seems to be totally dependent upon being 'triggered' by the death of an Alpha. Even though it is some sort of innate or instinctive ability of the Omega, it is only something which happens when an Alpha is killed.

So, assuming that is true, then what happens at the end exactly?

Cruise gets Omega blood on him - NOT Alpha blood - so perhaps this 'reset the day' ability was transferred to him again, BUT.. what also happened? Pretty much at that same time, the Alpha which was chasing him was killed.

So, maybe it was like this: instead of the way it was before, in which every time Cruise was killed, he re-appeared in the previous day at an arbitrary point.. what if instead of that, the 'reset' was triggered not by his own death but by the death of the Alpha?

This could explain why he went back to a previous earlier spot - that 'death of an Alpha' reset reset wouldn't have sent him back to his own previous return point (that wouldn't make any sense really would it?) - and maybe that point when he awoke on the helicopter just happened to be the arbitrary reset point for the death of an Alpha that occurred when it did..and it looks like it was really only, what, less than 48 hours in the past?

I don't know, but there probably is some kind of legitimate logic to it, they just didn't spell it out..

Maybe? Yea? Nay?